• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    We use Self Check most of the time. Had to go thru the regular one last trip to Cotsco, had the Rebate Check. Woman ahead of us only had 6-7 items
    Cashier gives her the total, then she starts looking for her Checkbook...... 6 minutes later we finally checked out.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We use Self Check most of the time. Had to go thru the regular one last trip to Cotsco, had the Rebate Check. Woman ahead of us only had 6-7 items
    Cashier gives her the total, then she starts looking for her Checkbook...... 6 minutes later we finally checked out.
    The woman ahead of you must have been caught off guard that she actually had to pay for the items. :lmfao:
    There's a lot of people like that in Cashier lines.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont mind self check as long as its an OPTION and full serve is a reasonable alternative. Cashiers are faster than I am and can get me out the door quicker when I have a full cart.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    It’s acceptable to verbally berate those not prepared when they get in line. Sadly we as a society are afraid to do so. I see this no differently than those that think it is perfectly appropriate to verbally abuse the unvaxxed. This is my way to toss it back that direction.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Walmart near me seems to have gotten rid of their self checkouts, I was about to checkout but all the lines for the normal cashiers were backed up. I just put my product on the nearest shelf and left, if I want something I'll just order it and have it shipped to my door next time.
    Our local was just remodeled over the last few months and the self checkouts doubled.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Walmart near me seems to have gotten rid of their self checkouts, I was about to checkout but all the lines for the normal cashiers were backed up. I just put my product on the nearest shelf and left, if I want something I'll just order it and have it shipped to my door next time.
    I get it.
    Back before the self checkouts came out, and management decided to not have enough Cashiers on duty and the lines were WAY long, I'd leave my full cart and leave.
    Figured if there was anything that would get the attention of incompetent management it would be enough customers doing this.

Sadly, many businesses put ALL their effort in getting potential customers to come into their store, but many make no effort to take care of the customers once they get them in the store so they can conduct their business and PROMPTLY get out of the store.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I love self checkout. It's always faster with shorter lines. They can fit 3x the number of checkouts in the same space. The only viable options for crowded grocery stores are heavily increased staffing (and much higher prices to support it) or more self checkout.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I love self checkout. It's always faster with shorter lines. They can fit 3x the number of checkouts in the same space. The only viable options for crowded grocery stores are heavily increased staffing (and much higher prices to support it) or more self checkout.

Which is cheaper:

A) cashiers

B) greatly increased levels of retail theft, ever more complicated (read: expensive) software and hardware in an attempt to lower retail theft, and reduced customer loyalty due to lack of relationship building?

Increasingly companies are realizing it's A, and by a pretty wide margin. B saves salaries but pretty much everyone agrees it *at least* doubles loss in any given store.

It doesn't take many steaks walking out of the store rung up as bananas or bottles of name brand detergent rang up as generic thanks to a bar code on a bracelet the thief is wearing to equate to the cost of a few extra cashiers...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Was in Lowes today. All cashier checkouts had been removed. Self check out only.

Go to the "pros" section. At least my closest one has a person still working there.

Honestly, I rarely "shop" at Lowes any more. I order it online and either do curbside pickup (big stuff) or the lockers pick up (small stuff) unless it's something I need to sort through to find good ones like dimensional lumber. It's cheaper for me to buy it online as I can use reward shopping portals and I don't see something I didn't know I wanted and want it... :D

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I can have a full cart, go thru self checkout faster than someone waiting 2nd in line at a register at aldi or even walmart. Too many young cashiers would rather chat than do the easy job of scanning. Must be a rule not to chat and scan at same time.
    If at Lowes, I'll do self checkout all the time unless i have lumber or something I'm purchasing on the lumber side. They tend to be very slow in Plymouth..southbend isn't much better.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Which is cheaper:

A) cashiers

B) greatly increased levels of retail theft, ever more complicated (read: expensive) software and hardware...

I think "B" is cheaper, especially as some really stupid states increase minimum wage to stratospheric levels. And the software / hardware gets much cheaper over time. I've been working in AI for a bit, and compute prices continue to drop tremendously month over month. If they build models which can discern customer mis-scans with decent reliability (and they will), the price to operate will undercut the wages they replace. The gold standard isn't "catch all the crooks", it's "discourage enough of them to maintain profitability".

But I guess we'll see over time. If self-checkout grows, it was cheaper. If it goes away, it was more expensive. I suspect they keep cashiers in "bad areas" where theft is very high but use self-checkout as the "normal" checkout elsewhere.

Top Bottom