• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Reading all these posts has really been interesting! A lot more people using hydra-shoks that I would've thought, even though thats what I use. Keep the posts coming, its fun to see what you folks are using.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    My three main guns are loaded with:

EDC, Sig P226: Speer 124gr Gold Dots
    BUG, Ruger LCP: Federal 90gr Hydrashoks
    HDG, Mossberg 590A1: Federal 00 buck LE tactical reduced recoil

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I like all of your choices. I am somewhat baffled by your 12G choice. #5 birdshot for SD? Is that a typo? I have seen bird dogs that were shot with birdshot. They survived the initial shooting.

Do you mean #4 buck?

Thanks. I'm lucky enough to get to talk to some of the guys who test these rounds for PD's.

With the shotgun I worry most about over penetration so I went with #5 birdshot. 00 and even down to BB shot can really travel in unintended directions. It's just a safe bet I guess. In all reality, anyone shot with #5 isn't going to continue with their previous course of action. :dunno:

That's not to say there isn't a stash of 00 buck in the house.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Reading all these posts has really been interesting! A lot more people using hydra-shoks that I would've thought, even though thats what I use. Keep the posts coming, its fun to see what you folks are using.

Hydra shocks are a great round. They work and do as intended. I have several hundred that have outlasted my 2 year rule for SD ammo. After 2 years I rotate it out and shoot the older SD rounds for practice. I'm a little nutty about keeping fresh stock in my weapons.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Hydra shocks are a great round. They work and do as intended. I have several hundred that have outlasted my 2 year rule for SD ammo. After 2 years I rotate it out and shoot the older SD rounds for practice. I'm a little nutty about keeping fresh stock in my weapons.

That's interesting. I got out of shooting (for years ... about 10). And at a range outing with my boys, all that ammo shot off just fine. I don't think what your doing is nutty though. Gotta be ready ...
    picture.php

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    That's interesting. I got out of shooting (for years ... about 10). And at a range outing with my boys, all that ammo shot off just fine. I don't think what your doing is nutty though. Gotta be ready ...
    picture.php

There's no foundation for the rule, just my own little peeve I guess. I've shot 40 year old 45 acp and it worked just fine. The way I see it, every 2 years we see a fairly significant technology increase in ammo manufacture as well as the fact that my ammo may see 2-4 heat cycles if it's in my car. I've never had an issue with old ammo so it's totally unfounded for me to do the swap. I guess I just feel better with fresh ammo.
    :draw:

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville

I think I'm gonna start rotating out my SD ammo, as well. If nothing else it's an excuse to get out and go shooting!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom