• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Do you really need the latest and greatest Exotic, supreme ballistic mega defender ammo? Seems to me it might be better to use something that is reliable, cost effective,and consistently available in your area.

Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    I don’t disagree with you there. With the possible exception being something like 32acp or 380acp, where modern ammo can make them much more effective than they were in the past.

Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    Funny you ask, I was at range today with my 9mm edc. I have been carrying 147gr HST but I got a box of Winchester White Box 115 gr JHP, usually available for $20.00/50 rounds +-.
    It has good expansion and penetration and was very accurate in my LC9s. I can get HST for about $22.00/50 plus shipping at Streichers, but Im giving the Winchester generic new respect.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    If it might be needed to save my life, I want the most reliable, accurate, and proven rounds they make. I see no reason to be a troglodyte in that regard.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Just so I understand, you purchased a $500 to a $1000 handgun and we are cheaping out on self defense rounds. This falls under the same people that won’t buy a good gun belt and holster.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Just so I understand, you purchased a $500 to a $1000 handgun and we are cheaping out on self defense rounds. This falls under the same people that won’t buy a good gun belt and holster.

Not quite i was referring to some of the off the wall ammo that is advertised to be the latest and greatest with no objective testing and stats to back up the claim. For me I use a variety of Federal, for a host of reasons. I usually run 50 to 100 rounds through it a month at the range, cheap no, but good to know how it is going to perform, poa poi, and cycle properly in my edc.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I mean I personally buy Federal HST, while it is regarded by many as a "Hyper Ammo" it is also relatively cheap being had for 50 cents a round oftentimes. Now the more boutique stuff like say Lehigh Defence, Buffalo Bore or Gorilla Ammunition it does have the "My Precious" attached to it, often times being $1.50-$2,50 a round making it kind of painful to pull the trigger on it (literally and figuratively).

Paul Harrell does a great video presentation over this exact topic actually and I feel he sums up my position better than I can through a text post!

[video=youtube;ayd4sxW_RUA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayd4sxW_RUA&t=1193s[/video]

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Not quite i was referring to some of the off the wall ammo that is advertised to be the latest and greatest with no objective testing and stats to back up the claim. For me I use a variety of Federal, for a host of reasons. I usually run 50 to 100 rounds through it a month at the range, cheap no, but good to know how it is going to perform, poa poi, and cycle properly in my edc.
    I’m sorry but you lost me on two of your three criteria‘s. Self-defense ammo advances all the time, if it didn’t we still be shoot muskets balls.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I’m sorry but you lost me on two of your three criteria‘s. Self-defense ammo advances all the time, if it didn’t we still be shoot muskets balls.

Maybe I should learn how to make things purple, sometimes sarcasm doesn't come across as intended. For me I use HST. It just works for my edc.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    If you mean the best defensive ammo available stuff like hst, gold dot, Rangers etc., then yes you should be carrying top tier stuff.

If you mean gimmick loads like rip, ultra light loads, arx polymer drill bit stuff etc. Then no, they are almost all bad to terrible.

If I recall leighe and buffalo bore both make some stuff that may serve some well for special purpose stuff, like a trail gun.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Do you really need the latest and greatest Exotic, supreme ballistic mega defender ammo? Seems to me it might be better to use something that is reliable, cost effective,and consistently available in your area.

I tend to find a load that shoots best in a particular gun, then use or shoot that consistently with that participate firearm.

For example, in my 2 EDC guns, each 'prefers' a different brand and set-up of ammo and, for carry purposes, I tend to make sure that I procure a few boxes of that ammo for each gun.

The Glock 36 'prefers' (shoot smoothly, has best accuracy, has milder felt-recoil, etc.) Remington's 185 grain, JHP +P Golden Saber the best of all brands and weights that I sampled...so I keep about 10 boxes of that around, periodically shooting a box of two for consistency...for the Glock 36.

The older Nickel, Taurus 85 (from 1990) shoots, accuracy, felt-recoil, etc. Hornady's 158 grain JHP XTP standard-pressure round the best...so I keep about 10 boxes of that around and periodically shoot a box or two to keep consist with that.

It doesn't mean I don't use or shoot other brands of ammo...it just means that I'm being consistent with my carry ammo for what I've found to perform best in each gun.

In heavier calibers, especially the ones I hunt with, cast loads are simple, cheap, and are as, if not more effective, than the more expensive JHP's.

Last edited:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    All handguns are different. My 10 mm Glock strictly carries Underwood 180 Gr XTP HP. Those are beast rounds that are dead on accurate in my Glock.
    My 9mm carry tend to be one of these: Gold Dot, Cor Bon, HST or Underwood.
    Now my 642 uses the 110 Gr Critical Defense short barrel stuff. By far the most accurate I've ever shot out of it.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie

I don't think he is necessarily "cheaping out," I think he's more asking, if you have something that currently works, is it advantageous to trying the newest thing on the market? For example, if one currently uses HST or Gold Dots, or (insert proven self-defense round), is there really a reason that one should look at ARX or Underwood's Extreme Penetrators, etc.? Being newer, these are typically going to be more expensive. Or, another way to word it: If you have something that works, should you try to "fix" it anyway by replacing it with a less proven round just because it's purported to be better?

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Started using Federal HST 147gr a couple years ago.I had done some testing with it and was impressed enough to use it in my carry gun. I recently bought a new box. The rounds tested out of that box performed exactly as the ones years ago. I know what to expect from that round. I will stay with it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Do you really need the latest and greatest Exotic, supreme ballistic mega defender ammo? . . .

I interpret your question to refer to the boutique gimmicky ammo that's out there. If that's the case, then no. Most if it is total BS.

I do NOT view HST, Gold Dot, Ranger, etc. as falling into this category. This is all mainstream stuff that's pretty standard for duty ammo.

If it performs reliably in your gun, is reasonably accurate, penetrates to the standard, and expands reliably, stop sweating your ammo and train more.

Pick something off this list and stop worrying about it - https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/

Top Bottom