• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GhostMedic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    Greetings,

Later this year I will be traveling to Germany for about 2 weeks. While there I would like to have a means of defending myself and my wife. Since firearms are out of the question, I have briefly looked into carrying knives as a means of defense and the laws regarding edged weapons get hairy pretty quickly. My question is: Does anyone one know of any laws regarding carrying a baton(ASP) in Germany for self defense?

Also, any other suggestions of other things I could carry for self defense would help. Thanks.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Germany is one of the safest countries in the world. I go every year and have never had a problem (even though I'm a "loud mouthed" American). I know quite a few Bavarians (who consider themselves the "rednecks" of Germany), and they all carry knives. If personal defense is that much of a concern, I'd suggest looking up a local retailer who can set you strait when you get there.

The only prohibitions against knives that I am aware, are that they cant be double bladed, switchies, butterflies, or have a... hey, I found a link/

Knife legislation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Asps are a NoGo in Germany. If you are thinking of using a knife for SD in Germany, then study up on their SD Laws and Requirements or your stay there could be longer than anticipated...

But like Kutnupe14 said, Germany is one of the Safest Countries I have ever been to. 2 things for you pay attention to;
    1. Commands from the Polizei, they are not suggestions.
    2. Stay away from Turkish Hangouts, unless you are looking for trouble.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Stout cane. Get a cane prescription from your doctor for your "trick knee" and carry it in your wallet. Learn about four or five basic moves and you're set against even multiple attackers.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Asps are a NoGo in Germany. If you are thinking of using a knife for SD in Germany, then study up on their SD Laws and Requirements or your stay there could be longer than anticipated...

But like Kutnupe14 said, Germany is one of the Safest Countries I have ever been to. 2 things for you pay attention to;
    1. Commands from the Polizei, they are not suggestions.
    2. Stay away from Turkish Hangouts, unless you are looking for trouble.

lol this for sure. the polizei aren't asking you to do anything they are telling you. when you get pulled over if they think your drunk there is no such thing as a breath test. the roll the ambulance and draw your blood instantly lol.

do not mess with the turks. they aren't like the turks of britain who like Americans. if you find yourself in trouble with them and see 3 that means 10 more are around you don't see.

stay out of the shady parts of town and you will be good to go.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Stout cane. Get a cane prescription from your doctor for your "trick knee" and carry it in your wallet. Learn about four or five basic moves and you're set against even multiple attackers.
    Careful with this as well. Germans have a very unique mindset as far as the use of Weapons in Self Defense. I would not suggest trying to use a Cane to beat someone in Germany, even in Self Defense...
    Mace (spray) maybe ? :dunno:
    NO!!!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Use a big hunk o' sausage. Those Germans will stuff anything in a sausage casing.

And now I hate you all. I'll be thinking of spiessbraten all day now.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I've heard about the clubs you frequented and can assure you that we're talking about different kinds of sausage.
    No I think we are talking about the same kinda Sausage. I seen them cooking them after the Girls were, done prepping them...

No I did not try one of them either...

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    AND they'll make it taste good!

Oh, so good. Even the little imbisses (plural, Jeremy? hmm...) served food that was to kill or die for. This little one on the Mosel River in a little town called Bernkastel-Kues served these spiessbraten sandwiches that are worth the trip to Germany. Oh, my work day is so over.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Oh, so good. Even the little imbisses (plural, Jeremy? hmm...) served food that was to kill or die for. This little one on the Mosel River in a little town called Bernkastel-Kues served these spiessbraten sandwiches that are worth the trip to Germany. Oh, my work day is so over.
    I believe you mean imbiss steht...

I have to wait until my official translator returns from work for verification... ;)

I know right where you are talking about!!!
    That some pomme frites and a Kristalweizen to wash it down with for a lunch...

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I know right where you are talking about!!!
    That some pomme frites and a Kristalweizen to wash it down with for a lunch...

You. are. killing. me. I'm drooling on my keyboard.

Did you ever go to the Im Haag up on the hill in Idar-Oberstein, opposite side of the valley from the artillery boys? That was another one I'll never forget.

Oops, this almost sounds like a threadjacking, so... that was a dangerous place, for sure -- definitely need to be prepared to protect yourself from grilled meat.

GhostMedic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions,
    I will probably have to stick with the ole knuckles(my knuckles, not brass ones) and knees and maybe I will stop by a knife shop while over there and bring home a souvenir.

As for the comment about the Polizei, we used to live in Germany when I was very young. I remember my dads story about his friends dumb friend that got pulled over for wreckless driving and mouthed off to the Polizei about who knows what and was introduced to some wooden batons very quickly.

That being said, I will stay away from the Turks and keep my eyes peeled and hefty pen at the ready.

Thanks all.

Top Bottom