• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    So I've checked out selling on gunbroker, since I haven't been able to move my P226 here (if I want a new gun I need to sell one I have since I don't have disposable income). Based on what I've read, it's best to have an FFL make the shipment using the USPS (since even with fees it's usually the cheapest option). The questions I have are as follows:

1) If you've had experience selling on gunbroker.com, have they been positive or negative?

2) Are there FFL's in the Indy area that will help with shipping portion of it? I know based on what I've heard some LGS don't, but after the quote (and advice from the salesperson) I got today there ain't no way I'm trading or selling it to an LGS. Didn't move on INGO after two weeks, didn't move at the 1500 so I'm relatively low on options unless I wait 'til October.

Having a P226 is a good plan for a home defense, but it's (a) not easily concealable, and (b) really uncomfortable to carry (open or concealed) due to the weight & size. Not much point to having a handgun you won't carry very often because it's a PITA to deal with. Hindsight I guess :dunno:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I carry my P226...

I have sold a few hundred guns on GB and only had one piker who didn't pay. I find Gun Broker to be a good way to move guns quickly and still get a good price on them.

I can't help you with the Indy FFL's but I can say that shipping through the USPS IS really the best way if the FFL fees aren't ridiculous (add $25 to the postage and insurance and suddenly it might be cheaper to go a different route) otherwise you may as well pony up the 2nd Day Air price at UPS and do it that way. Many FFL's make up rules too so I had a few return guns to me when I held my FFL saying it was illegal to mail a handgun and they had reported me to the BATFE. I sent the thing back to them USPS after the BATFE told me to charge the return fare to them for being stupid or illiterate as the book is pretty clear about how things can be sent. This is my warning that not all FFL;s have a working brain. Expect trouble and find a way to acvoid it when dealing with unknown FFL's and their ridiculous assumption about the law they learned on some stupid gun forum. :):

Gun Broker works well and I can't tell you anything bad about it. It's making the transaction happen afterwards that sometimes can be frustrating...

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Gunbroker does work well, most of the time people pay and everything goes right.

If you receive an FFL and the buyer pays with a money order or cashier's check then you're good to go.

Depending where the buyer is from, you can quite possible ship it on your own via USPS, which after insurance is still fairly cheap. Some places and FFL holders require firearms being received be sent from an FFL, if that's the case, just find someone willing to do it for you. Usually a transfer fee and cost of shipping

That being said, I'll give you $200 cash money for your 226 :):

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Some FFL's will not take a handgun unless it goes through an FFL on both ends even though it isn't required. Again, they are able to make their own rules as it is their business. So getting an FFL and payment may still leave you with the obstacle of an FFL that won't take a gun from YOU on your photocopied state issued ID. You cannot ship a handgun via USPS without an FFL at all. You might get away with it but it isn't legal, long guns only may go through the USPS without an FFL on both ends. Feel free to check USPS regs on me, maybe they have changed but it won't matter where it is shipped if it is a handgun.

Gun Broker itself works and works well. It's the FFL's the gun is shipped to that sometimes causes the headaches.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I've had really good luck on gunbroker. The guys at USDS will handle the transaction and shipping for you.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]
    [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Gunsite graduate[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive] [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

US Defense Solutions
    Guns-Knives-Ammo-Surplus-and more guns
    Like us on Facebook!

5329 Mount Pleasant North St
    Greenwood, IN 46241

Phone:317-300-8192
    Current Hours: Tues-Fri 5:30pm-9pm....Sat 10am-7pm....Sun 11am-5pm
    Email: Mike@defensesolutions.comcastbiz.net

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I looked at your ad, I'm not sure what the LGS offered, but I can tell you as a private buyer, I have had the opportunity in the past to buy a P226 in the same condition as yours for $475.
    I honestly think maybe you have it priced to high, and the biggie is, the market is really flat right now.
    I think if it were me, I would consider what I was offered, what the gunbroker fees may be including shipping, and come up with a new figure, and try it on armslist as well as here.
    And yes I am an experienced seller/buyer on gunbroker (GunBroker.com - View User Feedback: .223gunner).
    You will still get more for it than the LGS offered, or if you know what you want, put it up as a trade only ad on here as well as armslist. The only time I resort to gunbroker these days is if I really want to move something quickly and I am in it cheap enough to offset the fees.
    I honestly have better luck on armslist than I do here. You may be surprised if you put it for trade, you may just get what you're after.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The other thing I have noticed on here, is if you start your ad way to high (which you did at $850), keep in mind if I can buy your item brand new for $100 or less from your asking price, I'll just go buy a new one. To me it is worth the extra money to know that it hasn't been "modified, stippled, tuned" whatever words you want to use to mean that you have messed with it.
    Every time we buy guns, we take a chance that the previous owner has done something to it, that may not be visible on a 10min. inspection. So for me to take that chance, unless I personally know you, and how you maintain your firearms, it needs to be priced right. Also I have noticed that with a high starting price and several bumps, it will not sell on here. I think people are almost afraid to make a real offer, because they may come across as a lowballer. I think if you could get $550 out of it, you'll be doing good. It is an older, used Sig P226, you can't change that.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would guess that the LGS offered you about $350 or less. And if you were trying to sell it to them outright most likely less, they will give you a little more if you are trading.
    Best of luck on it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom