• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Is there a good way to do this? I guess it is a crime to sell to a felon but there is no way to know if someone is or is not. It isn't illegal to own a handgun without a LTCH so I am in a bit of a pickle. Please advise. They have their application for LTCH, good enough????

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You can't know or have reasonable cause to believe they are a prohibited person.

You don't need to prove that they aren't.

Do they look like they might be under 18? Simply verify age.

Do they have out of state license plates? Verify Indiana residency.

Wearing an ankle bracelet and lots of prison gang tattoos? Maybe you should transfer through an FFL. :D

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I don't verify LTCH or INDL. If they look to reasonably be over 18 then I'll go for it. If they ask those things of me then I comply because I don't really care that much one way or the other. If I am buying and the seller wants a bill of sale I triple check the date to be sure I'm not saying I bought it earlier than I really did in case of any hanky panky the week or month before with that weapon.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Think about it. Would a known felon take the time to fill out the paperwork for an Indiana LTCH? If they have already applied, but do not yet have the LTCH in their hands, I think you would have reason to believe that they are not a prohibited person. Just ask them "Have you ever been convicted of a felony crime?" If they say "NO" then you have done your due diligence, and can sell them the gun.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Think about it. Would a known felon take the time to fill out the paperwork for an Indiana LTCH? If they have already applied, but do not yet have the LTCH in their hands, I think you would have reason to believe that they are not a prohibited person. Just ask them "Have you ever been convicted of a felony crime?" If they say "NO" then you have done your due diligence, and can sell them the gun.
    Actually, yes, they do. So do people still on probation, convicted of domestic violence, etc. The number one reason for doing so (that I hear) is "my cop buddy said it shouldn't make a difference."

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    For me personally, it would be LTCH or FFL Transfer or no gun.

I do not need anything on my conscience, or even the worry that I made a wrong choice in who I dealt with.

CoachStall

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Johnson County
    Ask if you can legally own a gun. Even if they show their LTCH, they may have legally lost the right to carry. If you're like most people you have made copies or scanned your LTCH, and can reproduce them.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I even seen people here in INGO selling long guns and asking for a LTCH.
    I wonder how many people turn the deal down because of that.
    No everybody have a LTCH especially if its the first handgun they buy or just dont take their guns outside their home anyway or if its a long gun for which they dont need a LTCH to buy, own and carry the gun.

I understand that the seller wants to make sure he's not selling the gun to a fellon but if a fellon wants to buy a gun its easy for him to have a fake LTCH and IDL.

I think as a seller you just have to trust your feelings.If you think that something is wrong with the buyer even if he has all the proper documents that you may want to ask then dont sale the gun.
    If you think that you can trust the person even without seeing any documents then sale the gun.
    Last time I sold a handgun via INGO the buyer told me he had a LTCH but I didnt ask to see it.I just trusted him and the reputation he has on the site.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Ask if you can legally own a gun. Even if they show their LTCH, they may have legally lost the right to carry. If you're like most people you have made copies or scanned your LTCH, and can reproduce them.

^^ This.

The pink paper is one of the easiest document to fake and you can buy IN drivers licences online for a few bucks that looks just like the real one.

Trust your guts and not a paper.

:twocents:

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    People get the benefit of the doubt. I tend to assume most everybody is alright unless proven otherwise. So unless they gave me reason to be suspicious... I don't even know what that would be. Offering to pay in drugs? Asking if 9mm will go through bulletproof vests? Unless they acted suspiciously I wouldn't demand LTCH.

Besides, I don't have that license, and can still legally own guns somehow.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    IMO, if you are worried you can do what I did when I sold my handgun to someone without an LTCH.

Make up a bill of sale, stating that by signing, the purchaser verifies that he is not a convicted felon or mentally incompetent and that he has every right to own a firearm.

Make 2 copies, both of you sign both, give one to him, keep one for yourself and you are good.

ccrise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    I just purchased a Handgun from Midwest and was never asked if I had a LTCH. If fact I did not at that time. I haven't even filed yet. All they did was look at my licenses and made a quick call, $$$ out the door. Gun, Ammo and all.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I just purchased a Handgun from Midwest and was never asked if I had a LTCH. If fact I did not at that time. I haven't even filed yet. All they did was look at my licenses and made a quick call, $$$ out the door. Gun, Ammo and all.

That's the way it supposed to work. They and you don't need a license to buy or sale a handgun. You just need one to carry it. There is a provision in IN law that allows you to bring it home from the place of purchase.

railbug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Noblesville
    Here is another thing, I have a valid drivers lisence and a valid LTCH but the address is different. I did not want to pay the $20 for a new LTCH with my new address. I see people that put in there add must have matching INDL and LTCH, I also have a Utah permit but people don't ask for that. I have bought and sold alot of firearms and I also say go with the gut feeling.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom