• ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Personification of a tool. "Steel is real", ...the feeling I get, the character..

Also, one shooter's accuracy with one platform vs. another seems, to me, very plagued by variables. Since I have said nothing about accuracy yet in this thread, and all you steel-is-real-the-feeling-I-get Saturday morning mall walkers keep talking about it, is there proof that the mechanical accuracy of a wheelgun is better, for some reason? Seems like another big bag of variables. Hope your Roadmaster is big enough to carry that around.

Box magazine. 2014. Capacity. Plastic is, last time I checked, very tangible.

You joined this thread and stated why your auto was better than a "old mans" revolver.
    I listed a few areas that revolvers were better than autos and accuracy is one of them.
    Since you have "said nothing about accuracy yet" I would guess that isn't important to you or you are relying on all those extra bullets to make up for the lack of accuracy, either the guns or yours.
    By some of your other statements you don't know very much about revolvers so while I'm no expert I do know some things.
    Accuracy: A revolvers edge in accuracy comes from several areas but the big one is the barrel is fixed in the frame and doesn't lock or unlock and doesn't rotate like an auto, it is in the same place everyshot.
    The sights are also fixed to non-moving parts. The sights on a auto are mounted on the slide which also has some movement to it even when it is forward this makes repeatably difficult and affects accuracy.
    Trigger pull is next, a revolver has excellent repeatably no matter if you are firing it SA or DA every trigger pull is the same.
    Now several autos have this capability and that is why the 1911 and S&W 52 are so popular in Bullseye shooting and the 1911 based platform rules in the action shooting sports.
    I have owned and fired most of the striker fired guns available none of them have a good trigger on them and they have a mushy(technical term:):) trigger that makes it difficult to get that repeatably needed for exceptional accuracy.
    A 1911 can me worked over and can be made to have the accuracy of a stock revolver but it will cost you 2 or 3 times as much the revolver.

To be fair to the striker fired guns they were never intended to be Bullseye guns or competition gun for that matter and their trigger work fine for what they were intended to do.
    A lot of striker fired guns are used in the competitions that I shoot and some shooters do VERY WELL with them but they do have a class that they fit in so they don't have to run against the 1911/2011 unless they want to.

What it all boils down to is it is the operator and not the equipment but you asked about revolver accuracy and I hope this helps.

BTW it sounds like you have the set up you like and it should work well for you.
    As I said before I have both autos and revolvers and in fact I carry a Seecamp .32 everywhere and a M&P Pro sometimes along with my revolvers.
    I see you are from NWI if you ever get to Southern Indiana or maybe Central Indiana and want to shoot a match I will cancel my mall walking and join you for some fun. Maybe I can change your mind about revolvers. If you decide to you want to try a USPSA match bring your gun and come on down and I will pay your entry fee for the first match.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I do shoot at Brookston and always shoot the Action Pistol matches. If that is you in the picture I have shot with before. I was always the one that shot a Baby Glock and have shot a Ruger SR22 also. I would always shoot the "little" guns. I think you and your buddy always shot revolvers. Hopefully my scores will improve this year. lol Jim

Yes, we shoot revolvers there. That photo is me in my CAS gear. One of the cowboy pictures in Brookston's clubhouse has me and my wife from a few years ago. I was lucky and a shooting buddy that has shot Bianchi Cup several times taught me the ropes. AP is lots of fun. Practice and you should improve. The par times for the close targets are pretty fast. That's what I try to practice before a match. To bad there are not more places that shoot AP. I look forward to seeing you down there this year.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I've had two new name brand revolver fail on me. One had a defective firing pin that gave weak strikes, the other locked up when defective ammunition jumped the bullet crimp and bound against the forcing cone.

Never had a reputable modern pistol have a mechanical failure, just one or two ammunition related issues.

Most all modern firearms are reliable these days as far as mechanical failures and things physically breaking. But that doesn't mean they WORK reliably. Come to a USPSA match and watch for a while and you will be amazed how reliable a modern autoloader is when you actually shoot it in a stress situation.

My point is that ALL handgun types have the same Achilies heel - crappy or defective ammo can take a revolver out of the fight just as fast as a Glock or any other pistol... Except you cant tap-rack drill on the revolver.

A revolver doesn't require a tap-rack you just pull the trigger again, which you can't do with most autos.

IMO the "6 fer' sure" crowd has just not fired their revolver enough to have had a primer back out, or a bullet jump a crimp. Either one of those malfuctions will turn your wheel gun into a paper weight, and have you banging on the cylinder like a chud.
    ANYTHING mechanical can fail AUTO or REVOLVER. I have seen both go down in matches before but the auto are many more times as likely to actually break. Ammo problems are more pronounced in a auto as the magazine can be at fault, a rough spot on the breachface or a feed ramp problem can all be called "BAD AMMO".
    I have around 200000 rounds thru revolvers and NEVER had any of the things you talk about happen. I have only had 1 mechanical failure and that happened while dryfiring. I broke a firing pin on one of my competition guns and that was after around 8-900,000 dryfires on that gun.

Get your hands on a GP6. Rotating barrel stays on the same plane at all times, factory sights are quite good, and the single action trigger is every bit as good as a tuned 1911 (better than the SA trigger on a factory S&W), frame made of plastic.

I have never even seen a GP6 but if the barrel rotates it still has to have clearance to rotate and while it might lock up tight it still is not a fixed barrel.
    Gun sounds great I would love to try the trigger on one and check out the feel of it. I will keep my eyes open for one to check out.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And lets not forget the aesthetics! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure...but who can deny the beauty of a deeply blued wheel gun with dark walnut or burl grips! My very furst gun I bought some 26 years ago was a blued Ruger Security Six in .357 that I immediately swaped factory grips for a set of those dark brown walnut Hogue mono-grips...man did I love that gun! Sadly I traded it a number of years later for a "wonder-nine"...and I can't even remember which one it was? A decision I regret to this day!

And don't even get me started on the beauty of a good Colt SAA with that beautifully dark colt blue and deep rich case colors accented with a set of ivory or stag grips! Now that my friends is a BEAUTIFUL revolver!

AMEN! I was at Cabelas in Louisville two days ago and saw the most BEAUTIFUL stock I have ever seen in my life on an antique SxS in "The libary" (where the fancy expensive stuff is). It wasnt burlwood, but it was very reminiscent. The grain was all over the place, and didnt follow the typical curving, parallel patterns that we are used to seeing. The finish was incredibly polished and had a DEEEP laquered shine. It was also somewhere between $9,000 and $39,000. :faint:

I dont recall now which of the guns in that case were which price-wise but she suuuuure was purty.

reeseg45

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Oh the glock people are gonna be mad whoo. I went from poly to metal a few years ago. If I need more than my two single stack mags perhaps an airstrike should have been called.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    You joined this thread and stated why your auto was better than a "old mans" revolver.
    I listed a few areas that revolvers were better than autos and accuracy is one of them.
    Since you have "said nothing about accuracy yet" I would guess that isn't important to you or you are relying on all those extra bullets to make up for the lack of accuracy, either the guns or yours.
    By some of your other statements you don't know very much about revolvers so while I'm no expert I do know some things.

I joined this thread with a simple statement asking why. Then, I highlighted capacity as an issue. Then, I was asked what an autoloader can do better than a revolver, and my answer was 'accept a box magazine', because a revolver CAN NOT. Here's something else that a normal revolver (read: non exotic two hammers 20 round cylinder alternating drops crazy ass revolver) can't do better than an auto: 11 targets without a reload, because you can't do it, or can you guys hit more than one target with a round as per your accuracy bonus? Or am I misinformed on the capacity of cylinders out there, as well?

I'm sorry that everyone has such a hard time accepting that revolvers cannot accept box magazines, and thus autoloaders are better at that, and that the capacity of a normal revolver is much, much less than a normal autoloader, based on weight and size, which is also better. I am wholly impressed at the myriad of excuses in this thread.

Keep bringing em' here fogies, I'll keep watching as you try to insert a normal 15 round capacity magazine into your outdated paperweights, which, when laser guns hit the market, will be what my auto's job is (and you will have the edge there, due to weight). Unless they have done away with paper. Hope you aren't still holding your precious 'real steel' then, as doubt my phaser will be all metal :):

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I joined this thread with a simple statement asking why. Then, I highlighted capacity as an issue. Then, I was asked what an autoloader can do better than a revolver, and my answer was 'accept a box magazine', because a revolver CAN NOT. Here's something else that a normal revolver (read: non exotic two hammers 20 round cylinder alternating drops crazy ass revolver) can't do better than an auto: 11 targets without a reload, because you can't do it, or can you guys hit more than one target with a round as per your accuracy bonus? Or am I misinformed on the capacity of cylinders out there, as well?

I'm sorry that everyone has such a hard time accepting that revolvers cannot accept box magazines, and thus autoloaders are better at that, and that the capacity of a normal revolver is much, much less than a normal autoloader, based on weight and size, which is also better. I am wholly impressed at the myriad of excuses in this thread.

Keep bringing em' here fogies, I'll keep watching as you try to insert a normal 15 round capacity magazine into your outdated paperweights, which, when laser guns hit the market, will be what my auto's job is (and you will have the edge there, due to weight). Unless they have done away with paper. Hope you aren't still holding your precious 'real steel' then, as doubt my phaser will be all metal :):

Txlur, Every firearm design has it's perks and its quirks. while autos have made advancements the last few years in they are more dependable than they were in the 1980s Autos are still more susceptible to malfunctions than a wheelgun.(yes some of us old mall walkers lived through the transition back in the 80's). The main thing an auto has over a revolver is capacity. Anyone bashing a revolver or any firearm on the condition of capacity shows that persons inexperience and that they are not very well educated in how the real world works. Revolvers have been used to defend people for a long time and still do. Those of us that learned on them when they were one of the only choice learned the right way and that's why most of us are more than comfortable with one.

And as far as the example of being able to take on 11 targets before reloading, well that would be dumb. Why would you do that with a handgun. Most people wouldn't attempt that without a rifle.

My point is no one is out gunned if they choose a revolver, and no one is better prepared if they choose an auto.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

No one here is saying that a revolver takes a box magazine because we are all smarter than that.
    Since you just seem to be trolling and most of the rest of your post makes no sense.
    I'll leave you with this World Record 12 Shots In Under 3 Seconds - YouTube
    us old guys don't need to use box magazines.

If your mom will let you use the car come on to Southern Indiana and my offer stands to pay for your first match.:rolleyes:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Why does it always have to be either or?

First off, I have to agree with this! They are all great. Some are better at this some are better at that. Pick the best tool for the job at hand. I love choices!

th_0620131148a_zps6dedcd55.jpg

th_0620131156_zps40f53ec2.jpg

Second. Congrats OP! My second revolver was the GP100 with 4 inch barrel. You will love it!
    Third. Will someone explain what year the 1911 and the P35 became "Reliable"? This part confuses me. Sometime in the 80's maybe? I kinda thought they were "Reliable" in say 1911 and 1935. But I'm sure I must be wrong.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    And as far as the example of being able to take on 11 targets before reloading, well that would be dumb. Why would you do that with a handgun. Most people wouldn't attempt that without a rifle.

My point is no one is out gunned if they choose a revolver, and no one is better prepared if they choose an auto.

Another excuse.

Answer to why:

a) because you can
    c) for fun
    b) because you need to

or any combo thereof. Seriously, more excuses people. Did I mention rifles? Did I mention what context this was in? Did I mention anything, other than a number that a revolver cannot achieve?

Bring the excuses.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    No one here is saying that a revolver takes a box magazine because we are all smarter than that.
    Since you just seem to be trolling and most of the rest of your post makes no sense.
    I'll leave you with this World Record 12 Shots In Under 3 Seconds - YouTube
    us old guys don't need to use box magazines.

If your mom will let you use the car come on to Southern Indiana and my offer stands to pay for your first match.:rolleyes:

Pretty sure a pro with an auto can let loose 12 rounds in 3 seconds. Next.

Thanks for the challenge, btw. I'll pass, since you are angry.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Yeah, Jerry Miculek hit 12 shots in 3 seconds, but he took his eyes off target for the reload. I can reload with my **** in front of my face and not worry about aligning 5 or 6 circles into a special configuration. Fine motor skills take a ****. A square mag will beat a moon clip on any given day.

Fill a mag with 6 shots, and then fill another with 6. I guarantee in less than an hour you can pull off a 3s run. How long did Jerry Miculek practice to do that? Not denying that he is a living legend, but I mean c'mon his reload is not practical on a 2 way range.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Whoever is was back in the thread said why does it have to be one or the other......
    I agree.

The weapon is THE MAN (or person so as not to offend the ladies).
    The tool is THE GUN.

Give 1000 experts not so good guns.
    Give 1000 idiots great guns.

Run you competitions, whatever the heck they are.

Guess which group will win?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Pretty sure a pro with an auto can let loose 12 rounds in 3 seconds. Next.

Thanks for the challenge, btw. I'll pass, since you are angry.

If you like autos more than revolvers no one is saying anything wrong with that. Most of us revolver fans also carry autos from time to time as well. As mentioned from myself and several others they both work.

What you are refusing to/or just don't want to understand is there is more to shooting than how many rounds something holds in it and the fact that autos do in fact malfunction more than revolvers.

Shooting is A lot more than ballistic masturbation and slapping the trigger, but from your posts that sounds like that's about the only reason you ant a ton of rounds.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Yeah, Jerry Miculek hit 12 shots in 3 seconds, but he took his eyes off target for the reload. I can reload with my **** in front of my face and not worry about aligning 5 or 6 circles into a special configuration. Fine motor skills take a ****. A square mag will beat a moon clip on any given day.

Fill a mag with 6 shots, and then fill another with 6. I guarantee in less than an hour you can pull off a 3s run. How long did Jerry Miculek practice to do that? Not denying that he is a living legend, but I mean c'mon his reload is not practical on a 2 way range.

You must be really good. One hour of practice and you can beat one of the top shooters. Maybe if you practice a whole 2 hours, you could beat Koenig. We will await your video on YouTube.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I'm pretty sure my next gun will be the GP100. Although I like to read what you guys have and what you think about them, I really don't care. ;)

Top Bottom