• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i am having problems depriming sellior & bellot 9mm brass. i am using the lee decapping die from the deluxe 4 die kit and sometimes the decapping pin comes off the die and gets stuck in the flash hole. i then have to hit it out with a punch and put it back in the die.

is this a common thing with S&B brass? will i also run into problems priming them?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I can always tall an S&B case just by feel in my Lee Classic Turret. Really gotta pull to get those primers out. About as hard as NATO brass, and that's crimped. They seem to prime OK.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    yeah it definitely feels different. i also deprimed some winchester brass that is primer crimped and they came out way easier than S&B brass. what NATO brass are you referring to?

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    my S&B brass was a pain also. No problems like what you are talking about but it was definatly more of a pull to get it. Seems like its easy to won on after the factory primer is out though.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I load a S&B 9mm brass on my Lee Classic Turret fairly often. It has slightly tighter primer pockets, but it deprimes and primes fine on my press, using the same dies you have. It sounds like you need to tighten up the dies hold on the pin. It is made to come out rather than break, but you really need to crank it down as hard as you possibly can.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    the pin does not pop out of the top like it is supposed to. the little pin inside the big rod gets stuck in the flash hole after depriming and gomes out with the brass when i bring the ram down.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Hmmm. What's the diameter of your pin? I'm just amateur troubleshooting, but if they make different sized pins, Maybe you're using a 'large' and S&B primer holes require a 'small'?

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Had some 45acp brass, can't remember which now because I'm using mixed headstamps, the flash hole was not centered with primer pocket at all. (Realizing the need for better record keeping.) Also using LEE dies with no trouble like your describing.

Did a test last week between S&B and Federal brass, everything else being equal, the Federal seemed to shoot a little more consistent grouping.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm not sure if this has anyhting to do with your problem, but it is easy to check. S&B has done some runs of brass plated steel cases in the past. They look so much like normal brass cases you can't tell unless you check with a magnet. I haven't encountered any so far myself, but others have. They experienced difficulty with primers, and sometimes extraction problems on firing.

Here's one short thread on it:

Brass plated Steel 9mm cases - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

If you load 9mm S&B (I do) you might want to run a magnet over it just to be sure.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Had some 45acp brass, can't remember which now because I'm using mixed headstamps, the flash hole was not centered with primer pocket at all. (Realizing the need for better record keeping.) Also using LEE dies with no trouble like your describing.

Did a test last week between S&B and Federal brass, everything else being equal, the Federal seemed to shoot a little more consistent grouping.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding...We have a winner!!

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    I'm not sure if this has anyhting to do with your problem, but it is easy to check. S&B has done some runs of brass plated steel cases in the past. They look so much like normal brass cases you can't tell unless you check with a magnet. I haven't encountered any so far myself, but others have. They experienced difficulty with primers, and sometimes extraction problems on firing.

Here's one short thread on it:

Brass plated Steel 9mm cases - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

If you load 9mm S&B (I do) you might want to run a magnet over it just to be sure.

thanks.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    the little pin inside the big rod gets stuck in the flash hole after depriming and gomes out with the brass when i bring the ram down.

Here I never knew the Lee's were (2) piece assemblies... Looking at one now, there is little doubt in my mind that once that smaller pin pulls out the first time that it will always come out much easier... No other way I see than that pin is in there with nothing more than a press fit...

Best to just buy a couple extras... They are only a few bucks. If in fact your SB flash holes are on the tight side, chuck up the rod from the big end and turn down the small end a couple thousandths.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i checked the S&B and some brass has small flash holes, what i have been doing is when priming them if i i feel a lot of resistance, i can feel it, then i stop and put them aside. all i do is drill the small flash hole out a bit and then deprime then easily. if you compare them to other brass they are noticeably smaller.

bsmant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    I recently discarded some S&B .44 magnum brass due to issues with seating new primers. The primer pockets seemed a bit undersized, and I ended up crushing a few primers, and in several cases, when I was able to seat the primer, there would be a small piece of metal that appears to have been shaved off the primer. This was using CCI #350 Large Pistol Magnum primers

I have never had any issues with S&B brass in other calibers like .45ACP or .38Spl, but the .44 magnum brass just doesn't seem to work for me.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I recently discarded some S&B .44 magnum brass due to issues with seating new primers. The primer pockets seemed a bit undersized, and I ended up crushing a few primers, and in several cases, when I was able to seat the primer, there would be a small piece of metal that appears to have been shaved off the primer. This was using CCI #350 Large Pistol Magnum primers

I have never had any issues with S&B brass in other calibers like .45ACP or .38Spl, but the .44 magnum brass just doesn't seem to work for me.

Primer pocket uniformer, FTW?!

I don't mind a primer pocket that is tight or needs a crimp removed; far better than one that is too loose after one or two firings! ;)

Top Bottom