Semi-Annual Hiking Boot recommendation thread!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Curious about your reasons for wanting waterproof. Other than the obvious.

I have waterproof mid/low hikers and they are fine in cool weather where I won't step too deep into water. But in warmer weather they get too hot and if I get in deep water, I get water seeping in around the top and then they take a long time to dry out. I used to wear them during my Boundary Water trips, but figured out that in that scenario water shoes or sandals are the best.

For day hikers, I wear a lightweight pair of boots with drain holes in them. I slop through whatever, the water drains out quickly and when I'm done for the day, they dry fairly fast.
    No reason other than the obvious. We like to hike streambed trails where/when available.

I'd rather have mildly sweaty feet vs. wet feet & socks.

If I were doing way more than <10 miles a day day hiking (and RARELY ever consecutive days at that distance), I'd seriously consider non-waterproof boots.

I just hate socks wet from water intrusion.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I currently have a pair of vasque about 3-4 years old that keep my feet dry( would def purchase again). They are mid and I have been in water too just under the top of them. I have had solomon & merrill. The merrill def did not keep my feet dry (dew covered grass). the solomon seemed to be ok , until they opened up and fell apart. I did have a pair of high leather irish setters that I loved, but didn't take good enough care of to make them last. The new boots that have with no strings look interesting, but not sure how long that wire and crank mechanism will last. I do wear wool socks all year long with the boots.
    I have been wearing Vasque Sundowners for 33 years (not the same pair LOL) but they are the only thing I buy anymore.

I tried Keen's and they did not hold up also their water proof membrane DOES NOT BREATH!!! Smelliest boots I have EVER owned.

Danner makes some good stuff but still don't last as long as my Vasque.

I usually get three years out of a pair wearing them EVERY day ALL day for work (construction).

Good ridged sole and the ankle support holds up for their life. Usually get a new pair because the soles are bald and flat by then.

Keep in mind though they will take a few months to break in along with a few blisters until they are perfect so don't buy them and go hiking the next day....they take TIME to mold to your foot. So if you want out of the box comfort buy something else. If you want long haul comfort and support get them.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have ditched hiking boots in favor of trail shoes for both hiking and backpacking. Currently have altra lone peaks and also a pair of lone peak hikers. Not waterproof but that is unnecessary IMO. more toe box room, lighter, and zero drop. So much more comfortable and I can hike much further without my feet getting tired.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I’ve been told new balance hikers are supposed to be excellent, I personally haven’t tried them because I’m still trying to wear out my sketchers, which I would avoid unless you like bleeding on your first couple hikes.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    In my experience which is ALOT of boots in a short amount of time…. (Teva Merrell keen Salomon go Ruck and a few cheaper store type brands) probably missing a few

I have found water proof is more like “water resistant” and once the water gets in (it will where it comes from is sometimes a mystery) it NEVER leaves. Takes a lot of hours for it to finally dry. I absolutely hate having my feet wet.

But with some darn tough wool socks and the goruck boots that have holes to push the water out with every step your feet will dry.

I am considering carrying an extra pair of socks so when mine get soaked…. I walk a few miles squish all the water out I can put the dry pair on wet pair hang on my pack. That reminds me I need to make the annual backpack thread because mine isn’t cutting it hunting pack turned hiker isn’t the best.

Forgot to talk about the weight of the water logged “waterproof” boots definitely another factor.

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    In my experience which is ALOT of boots in a short amount of time…. (Teva Merrell keen Salomon go Ruck and a few cheaper store type brands) probably missing a few

I have found water proof is more like “water resistant” and once the water gets in (it will where it comes from is sometimes a mystery) it NEVER leaves. Takes a lot of hours for it to finally dry. I absolutely hate having my feet wet.

But with some darn tough wool socks and the goruck boots that have holes to push the water out with every step your feet will dry.

I am considering carrying an extra pair of socks so when mine get soaked…. I walk a few miles squish all the water out I can put the dry pair on wet pair hang on my pack. That reminds me I need to make the annual backpack thread because mine isn’t cutting it hunting pack turned hiker isn’t the best.
    My personal experience with darn tough socks and water proof hikers is stepping on a tiny frozen creek that wasn’t frozen, dunked my foot to my ankle! I was surprised how quickly my foot went from freezing to warm, I mean it was just a few minutes and the discomfort from the cold was fading. After an hour my foot was mostly dry enough, I’m sure if I’d have had on a more ventilated shoe it probably would have dried completely.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    My personal experience with darn tough socks and water proof hikers is stepping on a tiny frozen creek that wasn’t frozen, dunked my foot to my ankle! I was surprised how quickly my foot went from freezing to warm, I mean it was just a few minutes and the discomfort from the cold was fading. After an hour my foot was mostly dry enough, I’m sure if I’d have had on a more ventilated shoe it probably would have dried completely.
    They are definitely good socks I’m gradually replacing all my puma socks with them. Puma socks were my go to because of how long they lasted…. The last 12 pack I got I’m lucky to get 2 months before getting a hole not sure what they changed.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    They are definitely good socks I’m gradually replacing all my puma socks with them. Puma socks were my go to because of how long they lasted…. The last 12 pack I got I’m lucky to get 2 months before getting a hole not sure what they changed.
    Yep. I’m working on getting enough to get rid of my others also, I got a couple I’m sending in for warranty because they got holes in them, steel toe boots are hard on socks.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Yep. I’m working on getting enough to get rid of my others also, I got a couple I’m sending in for warranty because they got holes in them, steel toe boots are hard on socks.
    I need to check Amazon more often they just had some ugly ones for $14 in my size. No one sees my socks :laugh: :dunno:

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    That's a tough price point because you'll basically have to compromise either comfort or quality. I've had many different boots bought for me over the years for work uniform, and also spent much of my own paychecks trying other boots. I like boots, man.

Given intended use, I'd recommend Keen, LL Bean Bean boot, or Muck boots at MSRP. Mucks aren't seen as hiking boots but they're fine for moderate use. I've used them professionally for miles & miles, while carrying loads comfortably. Otherwise searching sites like Sierra, eBay, REI garage sales, for deals/seconds on some premium boots.

I'm somewhat of a Danner fanboy. I have the original and II Mountain Light boot. Both are a pain in the heel to break in, but once they do it's very comfortable. I've worn the II's for countless miles professionally and personally for almost 10 years now. A few years included daily 8+hr usage. However not all Danners are made the same. Mountain Lights made in USA are far superior to their imported crap - Similar to Red Wing and others. As said previously the Salomon Quest 4D is a famous boot but mine are sitting in the closet like-new, lol. My wife prefers Asolo, as did many folks I went to college with - the leather Asolo are ubiquitous.

Honorable mention for Darn Tough socks - they are spendy but lifetime warranty means if you buy 7-10 pairs, you'll never have to buy socks again unless you want to. I still have my first pair bought in 2016, which are finally starting to wear out in areas that rub my boots. Socks are just as important imo.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Honorable mention for Darn Tough socks - they are spendy but lifetime warranty means if you buy 7-10 pairs, you'll never have to buy socks again unless you want to. I still have my first pair bought in 2016, which are finally starting to wear out in areas that rub my boots. Socks are just as important imo.
    Have a pair of Darn Tough socks on right now.

Top Bottom