• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    I am hoping you guys can give me some ideas for a semi-auto .308. I was looking at an M1-A, but I do not want to limit my choices yet. The only requirement I set for this purchase is that it not be an "AR style" rifle. That said, what suggestions do you guys have for me? Thank you for your help.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I am hoping you guys can give me some ideas for a semi-auto .308. I was looking at an M1-A, but I do not want to limit my choices yet. The only requirement I set for this purchase is that it not be an "AR style" rifle. That said, what suggestions do you guys have for me? Thank you for your help.

imo m1a is the winner

DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    Love my M1A.. now your next choice is full size, socom, scout?

Speaking of this, is there one that you would recommend? I am familiar with the Socom 16, but I am not sure that fits what I am looking for with this rifle. I really want this to be somewhat versatile. That is, I would like some modularity, as well as the ability to reach out to 500-600 yards. Is there an M1 model that fits that description a little better than another?

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Speaking of this, is there one that you would recommend? I am familiar with the Socom 16, but I am not sure that fits what I am looking for with this rifle. I really want this to be somewhat versatile. That is, I would like some modularity, as well as the ability to reach out to 500-600 yards. Is there an M1 model that fits that description a little better than another?

I've got a SOCOM along with two Loaded, two standard, and a Polytech. What kind of accuracy are you wanting at 600 yards? The sights on the SOCOM are not designed for long range. They are big dot style. A loaded will get you out there real well, but it's a heavy thing. For general purpose use it's hard to beat a standard or a scout.

skimmer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    If its not going to be an AR then M1A for sure. Just shot one the other weekend. Wow, really smooth. If your using it for deer, that baby is really going to pack a wallop!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also non-standard options:

Remington 750 / 742 or 7600. Those definitely fly under the radar. My grandfather in law has an older 742 in 30-06. It's pretty slick.

An AK-pattern .308 like the above mentioned Saiga would be cool, too.

mrzachary

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Well, since I own an FAL I would vote that you at least look into all the choices you have. Which there are many. Speaking from experience with my riFAL it has been nothing but exciting, reliable, and more accurate than people give it credit for. I think the ergonomics of the FAL are something to be desired on more modern rifles made today. The FAL was ahead of its time and although time has changed it still will and does compete with modern day rifles. In the end just do your research and weigh, weigh, and weigh your options. Oh and yeah, .308 ammo sucks to buy.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    Cant go wrong with a Sprigfeild M1A. Love mine, shoots & looks great. PTR 91 is worth a look. Surprisingly accurate + spare mags are low cost. On the down side the ejected brass is very fast & can hurt bystanders.
    Mike

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    If precision accuracy is what you are looking for, and AR platforms are out, then M1A is the best logical choice.
    If you just want a range toy that makes lots of noise, and sends copious amounts of lead down range at staggering rates, there are a few other choices out there that warrant consideration. I have a CETME myself, and while not a precision rifle by any means, it was a cheap option that got me into the semi .308 club, and is accurate enough to hit a B-mod target out past 300 yards with relative ease.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

I have a Standard in a wood stock, and love it. That said the 18" scout is suppose to be the best of both worlds, lighter, faster handling, and still accurate at distance

Top Bottom