• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bud1976

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    I am looking for a ccw or a pocket gun. I cant decide wether to get a sub compact like a kel tec p11 or a small 38 special. Any thoughts?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Small, hammerless revolver! Ruger LCR, Smith & Wesson 642, Taurus 850UL, Charter Arms Undercover DAO. Revolvers are less sensitive to dirt and lint they might encounter in the pocket, the hammerless models can be fired from inside the pocket, and they are not prone to limp wristing. Any gun can incur a mechanical failure but revolvers are regarded as extremely reliable. The .38 special +P has a good track record as a defensive cartridge.

To be fair the ultra mini micro mouse gun .380s do have two distinct advantages. 1) They are smaller, lighter, thinner then a revolver. 2) theycost less to purchase. Ruger LCP, Taurus TCP, & KelTec can be had for less then $300 new.

Edit: P11 is a bit larger. When I think pocket gun my first thought is a small .380. There has been a lot of nice compact 9mm of late. The small 9mm are going to be a step up in power.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    First, welcome to :ingo:. Second, what our you familiar with? I would try to stay as close as possible to your EDC gun. If you don't belt carry, 'try out' as many different guns as you can. Once narrowed down, try and shoot those guns.
    Some gun stores allow you to try guns out. Also, ask fellow gun owners. It's always a fun day at the range.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For me personally the p11 is not a pocket gun. I would much prefer a j-frame revolver over the p11 for pocket carry.

A hammerless j-frame is an excellent choice! I have a s&w 442 Airweight and I absolutely love it!

For me I consider the pocket guns to be p32, p3at, lcp, tcp etc...
    The profile of the would be more flat than the revolver, but the revolver is still easily carried. The above listed semi-autos will also be less enjoyable to shoot IMHO.

Good luck with your decision.

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    I recommend the j-frame Smiths combined with a good holster. I sometimes even carry a .357 j-frame in an Uncle Mikes IWB. Which is not a good holster but extremely functional and cheap.

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    I am sorry, must also add. As others have stated, hammerless is important. I would recommend the internal hammer.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Why not carry both? <grin>

Revolvers don't jam or stovepipe...but semi auto's usually have more rounds...decisions, decisions...

It would be interesting to find out how many average shots are fired during a civilian self defense event. I have an idea it's 4 or less...but that's just my gut feeling. Anyone know what that data says?

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    All confrontations are different. But an old saying I have heard many times is 3rds, 3secs, 3yrds. I am sure this is meant to cover the vast majority of confrontations.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Welcome to INGO! I concur with Vert & John on the small S&W 38's. I bought my wife the 442 and Vert is correct, these are a bit snappy because they do not weigh much.

We added a Hogue grip, but then it made the gun almost too big for a pocket gun. (I carry it once and a while when I am wearing a sport coat though and even with the Hogue, it rides nicely in the pocket.) I guess when looking back, the short grip wouldn't be that bad because this is an "up close and personal" sidearm so accuracy at say 5' and under is not really an issue. It's personal preference.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I carry the Ruger LCP. It is small light. It is hidden from view.
    major problem You will not like firing more that 1 or 2 mags on a range. The grip is small (but very useable). The trigger hurts after 2 mags.
    It is accurate. I have small hands and can hold it. I have not had a failure to fire.
    The trigger pull is tighter and longer that my other firearms.

Top Bottom