• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I wouldn't be so sure it won't pass. Been more than a few cops even on this forum say civilians should have to have training before getting an LTCH. They will have cops lined up around the corner at the statehouse to support this bill. Then no one will be able to buy a gun, because we have no more reason to believe the state police will be willing or able, whichever the case may be, to provide the training than they are to provide the LTCH within the legally mandated time frame. I note the bill makes no exceptions nor provides any relief for citizens for whom the required training isn't made available.

BTW... reading the required training, it doesn't seem to be worth much. Just a forum for whoever happens to be teaching the class to pass on their opinions of how and what citizens should be allowed to carry, regardless of what the law actually says.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I dunno about the cops lining up to support the bill. Look at the crime rates in Illinois vs. Indiana. I would like to think that cops would want more well armed good guys.

(The bad guys are going to carry reguardless of any laws in place to prevent it)

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    The full-text says that the course has to be free; can't be more than 2 hours; must be offered at least weekly (after regular business hours) in every county; need only be taken once; can't involve any skills test; and doesn't apply to LTCH holders, among others.

Um, so what's the point of it? To impose a de-facto waiting period before someone's first-ever gun purchase (at least from an FFL; how it would be enforced for private sales is mystery)? To make it possible for the State to maintain a partial list of gun owners by checking enrollment records? To give probable cause, upon spotting any kind of gun in anyone's home, to check whether it's legally possessed?

Gotta say, I can't particularly figure out any motivation -- whether well-meaning but misplaced, or sinister, or anywhere in between -- for this one....

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    The full-text says that the course has to be free; can't be more than 2 hours; must be offered at least weekly (after regular business hours) in every county; need only be taken once; can't involve any skills test; and doesn't apply to LTCH holders, among others.

Um, so what's the point of it? To impose a de-facto waiting period before someone's first-ever gun purchase (at least from an FFL; how it would be enforced for private sales is mystery)? To make it possible for the State to maintain a partial list of gun owners by checking enrollment records? To give probable cause, upon spotting any kind of gun in anyone's home, to check whether it's legally possessed?

Gotta say, I can't particularly figure out any motivation -- whether well-meaning but misplaced, or sinister, or anywhere in between -- for this one....

Motivation? How to boil a live frog.

Once this "trivial" course is required it becomes much simpler to add requirements bit by bit until you've got a $100,000 class given only at the State House to which you have to bring your own gun (but no exception for entry security is provided) and which is only given on the second Tuesday of every week at 3:00 AM.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Silly,Silly, Silly! I just sent her a email. Just what we need is a liberal democrat Nancy Polaski in Indiana. Bummer!!

Top Bottom