Senate Democrats block GOP bill curbing late (20+ week) abortions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Senate Democrats block GOP bill curbing late abortions | Fox News

Senators voted 54-42 to move ahead on the legislation, but that fell six short of the 60 votes needed to advance the bill. With Republicans holding 54 Senate seats and the two parties sharply divided over abortion, the outcome was no surprise. But the showdown afforded each side an opportunity to highlight its willingness to fight to its most loyal voters and contributors.

For some reason, I thought the 20 week limit was accepted... why block a bill banning it after 20 weeks?

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If we can't feed, care for, or educate the children we already have, let alone find jobs for them when they reach adulthood, then what the **** are we going to do with even more?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Lowe0 said:
    If we can't feed, care for, or educate the children we already have, let alone find jobs for them when they reach adulthood, then what the **** are we going to do with even more?

This, absolutely. We need to trim back the child population. Next let's work on the 2-year olds since everybody says they're 'terrible' anyways.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    This, absolutely. We need to trim back the child population. Next let's work on the 2-year olds since everybody says they're 'terrible' anyways.

I already did my part by not having any. But seriously, shouldn't we at least figure out how we're going to offset abortion legislation, such as through sex education and greater contraception availability?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

I have fed, cared for and educated the children I have. They are now doing the same for their children. Families are capable of doing this, governments are not.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I don't want to risk moving into ban hammer territory. All I'll say is that abortion for the purpose of just population control is a pretty lousy reason to end someone's life. I'm all for equipping people to solve population growth problems. Not starting a life is a far better solution for overpopulation than ending it.

60 vote requirements don't look so great now, do they?

Why snark about that? It kept some very bad gun laws from passing. I don't see a good reason to blame the 60 vote requirement.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Lowe0 said:
    I already did my part by not having any. But seriously, shouldn't we at least figure out how we're going to offset abortion legislation, such as through sex education and greater contraception availability?

Yes, if by "we" you mean yourself and the charitable organization that you joined and contribute your own time and energy to because you care deeply about this issue and want to make sure that people know where babies come from.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI

How in the world can contraception availability be any better? You can walk into any Walgreens or CVS and buy all the condoms you want.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

Sorry, it's not the governments job to educate (or whatever you want to call it) children about sex. That job belongs to the parents. Contraception IS available. I see it for sale every time I walk into a store, pharmacy, or any other myriad of places, including common gas stations & restrooms. Unless you mean it should be available for free, funded by tax payers. (If that's the case then I can't offer any advice you will find useful.) If someone can't afford a box of condoms then maybe they should have enough discipline to keep their legs closed for the night. If they are so wrapped up in their own impulses that they can't think this far ahead then free products they have to go someplace and pick up beforehand on their own probably won't help either.

The solution you are looking for to "offset abortion legislation" is not one you can just throw money and free products at like it's candy at a parade. It goes way deeper and farther back than that. The responsibility belongs to the parents. Teach you children morals, discipline, responsibility, self-worth, respect. Teach them how to do things on their own and take personal responsibility for what they do and that their actions have consequences. This entire "do what you want because it feels good and damn the consequences" attitude that people (parents & children) have is one of the main reasons problems like this exist in the first place. Stop depending on someone else and the government to make decisions and do thing for you.

Unfortunately, this slacker attitude is so prevalent in the schools and has been ingrained into so many parents that the children aren't being taught how to take care of themselves or any responsibility. They grow up and pass on this lack of morals, etc and the cycle expands. Once it expands, there are more and more people that can't do things or think for themselves and the rest of us are left holding the bill for the new programs that are developed and implemented to "help" those that won't help themselves. All those new people are thrilled that they don't have to deal with consequences or take responsibility for their actions, (it's always someone else's fault) so they don't make any effort to change or better themselves. Rinse, repeat.

To fix so many of the problems we have today this core problem needs to be addressed first. Everything else is just a band-aid over a sucking chest wound.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    I can speak from experience here, my wife and I lost our 2nd child in March at about 8 weeks. She had to undergo the procedure to remove the fetus from her uterus. I simply cannot fathom how anyone could "willingly" abort a baby. I can see it in very limited situations rape, incest type offenses. Other than that, you need to pony up you did the deed now you need to deal with the consequences. As AngryRooster stated this is parenting failure as a you can get contraception nearly anywhere. Buy a box of rubbers for 5 bucks and have at it.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    My question is this... The bill was blocked... what were the riders on it that everyone is known to add.. making them poison pills etc...

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Sorry, it's not the governments job to educate (or whatever you want to call it) children about sex. That job belongs to the parents. Contraception IS available. I see it for sale every time I walk into a store, pharmacy, or any other myriad of places, including common gas stations & restrooms. Unless you mean it should be available for free, funded by tax payers. (If that's the case then I can't offer any advice you will find useful.) If someone can't afford a box of condoms then maybe they should have enough discipline to keep their legs closed for the night. If they are so wrapped up in their own impulses that they can't think this far ahead then free products they have to go someplace and pick up beforehand on their own probably won't help either.

The solution you are looking for to "offset abortion legislation" is not one you can just throw money and free products at like it's candy at a parade. It goes way deeper and farther back than that. The responsibility belongs to the parents. Teach you children morals, discipline, responsibility, self-worth, respect. Teach them how to do things on their own and take personal responsibility for what they do and that their actions have consequences. This entire "do what you want because it feels good and damn the consequences" attitude that people (parents & children) have is one of the main reasons problems like this exist in the first place. Stop depending on someone else and the government to make decisions and do thing for you.

Unfortunately, this slacker attitude is so prevalent in the schools and has been ingrained into so many parents that the children aren't being taught how to take care of themselves or any responsibility. They grow up and pass on this lack of morals, etc and the cycle expands. Once it expands, there are more and more people that can't do things or think for themselves and the rest of us are left holding the bill for the new programs that are developed and implemented to "help" those that won't help themselves. All those new people are thrilled that they don't have to deal with consequences or take responsibility for their actions, (it's always someone else's fault) so they don't make any effort to change or better themselves. Rinse, repeat.

To fix so many of the problems we have today this core problem needs to be addressed first. Everything else is just a band-aid over a sucking chest wound.
    I get some variant of this response a lot. Sure, some sudden outbreak of personal responsibility and forethought sounds great. It's also idealistic. We need to figure out how to solve problems in the reality that we have instead of wishing we all lived in a '50s sitcom or Norman Rockwell painting.

So yes, I am advocating that the government should study whether free contraception turns out to be cheaper than welfare spending for dependents. And if it turns out that it is, then they should implement that policy. Hell, even if it turns out to be a net economic gain vs. the time doctors spend on abortions (glazier's fallacy) then it's worth it.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I can speak from experience here, my wife and I lost our 2nd child in March at about 8 weeks. She had to undergo the procedure to remove the fetus from her uterus. I simply cannot fathom how anyone could "willingly" abort a baby. I can see it in very limited situations rape, incest type offenses. Other than that, you need to pony up you did the deed now you need to deal with the consequences. As AngryRooster stated this is parenting failure as a you can get contraception nearly anywhere. Buy a box of rubbers for 5 bucks and have at it.

I can fathom many reasons why a woman would have a abortion.
    These threads are stupid and unnessessery here.
    These threads should be closed as soon as the word abortion is used.
    It's just one of those topics that get volatile quickly no matter what side you are on. This topic has truly no starting g point to even start a conversation.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom