• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The phone is working today? Great, it still gave me Lugar's voice mail yesterday.

Update: Just called and offered my encouragement to support the 2A.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Amazing. I called, spoke with a very pleasant young lady who assured me she would convey my concerns to Senator Donnelly and everyone else gets voice mail.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    Amazing. I called, spoke with a very pleasant young lady who assured me she would convey my concerns to Senator Donnelly and everyone else gets voice mail.

Thats most likely because we are SLAMMING them!

(at least thats what my beer bottle half full thought process will believe)

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I hope we are slamming him, and Zi hope he gets the message. His VM box isn't full yet, so we haven't done our job well enough. Wonder if another thread with the phone number in the title and a request for everyone on INGO to leave their thoughts would get more traffic?

digitalphoenix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    In a cornfield.
    I have heard Donnelly is all for 2nd amendment rights and I am pretty darn sure he is highly against this bill. But I will still contact him. Our state pretty much proves how low crime rate can be when you have a system like ours. Well, except on the eastside of Indy, maybe.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I have heard Donnelly is all for 2nd amendment rights and I am pretty darn sure he is highly against this bill. But I will still contact him. Our state pretty much proves how low crime rate can be when you have a system like ours. Well, except on the eastside of Indy, maybe.

In the world of DC I woud take absolutely nothing for granted...

Blue dog democrats are more bark than bite...

jabbett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    For those unsure of where Sen. Donnelly stands, this is a quote for an IndyStar article, at this link, http://www.indystar.com/article/20121218/NEWS05/212180332/1001/NEWS?nclick_check=1

And gun supporter and Indiana Sen.-elect Joe Donnelly, a Democrat who at one time received an “A” rating from the NRA, told CNN on Monday that he would look at tightening gun laws in the wake of the shooting.
    “You know, I’m a dad, too,” Donnelly told the network. “My kids are a little older now, but I think of when they were 6 or 7 years old, and I think we have a responsibility to make sure this never happens again.”
    This letter was posted by jph02 @ Glocktalk I used it with permission, and it was sent to Sen Donnelly at his new snail mail address;

SR-B33 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510

Senator Donnelly,

I urge you to vote against any measures aimed at increasing Federal gun control law beyond what is already in effect. I expect you to vote against any bill that includes restrictions on so-called "assault weapons" or "high capacity" magazines, clips, etc. My reasons for this are two-fold. First, gun control is a state matter and does not belong in the Federal domain. Second, gun control measures are ineffective at reducing violence, in general, or even gun violence in particular.

Michigan's own Rep. John Dingell testified before Congress in 1965 there were 20,000 gun control laws on the books in the US. This is an oft-repeated number intended to demonstrate the ineffectiveness of gun control. In 2002, the Brookings Institute estimated there were about 300 gun control laws on the books at the state level.(1) The 2009-10 30th edition of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives' publication "State Laws and Published Ordinances-Firearms" contains 507 pages of state and local ordinance citations.(2) Using a 16 page sample of the 2005 edition, one person estimated the number of gun control laws in the book at about 3,000.(3) It should be obvious the states have clearly accepted their responsibilities in regulating firearms design, manufacture, sale, transfer, and possession. Different states have different needs in this regard and the US Congress should not usurp their rights to address these needs as befits the situations and desires in the several sovereign states, the Constitution's so-called commerce clause notwithstanding.

No one disputes the tragedy of the Newtown massacre, or, indeed, any mass shooting incident. The hue and cry following Newtown focuses on renewing the so-called "assault" weapons ban and restricting magazine capacities. These are both "feel-good" measures that will provide no real impact in preventing future mass shooting incidents nor reducing the numbers of victims at such incidents. The FBI reports 12,664 homicides in 2011, based on uniform crime report statistics.(4) Of those, 67.8% (8,583) were inflicted with firearms. Rifles of all types, including "assault rifles", accounted for only 323 homicides. That's 3.76% of firearms homicides and only 2.55% of all homicides. In Michigan, rifles were used in 29 out of 613 homicides. The threat of rifles, especially "assault rifles", is not borne out by their usage in homicides. Never mind the "assault rifle" term is manufactured based on an arbitrary definition of features, such as a detachable magazine, bayonet lug, or potential for mounting various sights, and for which there is no rational basis.(5) The Bushmaster XM-15 allegedly used in the Newtown shooting is functionally the same as the Ruger Mini-14. Both are semi-automatic rifles; both can fire the .223 caliber round; both use detachable magazines; both can have scopes or nightsights attached. The XM-15 could be considered an "assault rifle" but the Mini-14 is not. For the record, even experts have not agreed as to whether the XM-15 used by Adam Lanza fell within the "assault rifle" definition from the 1994 Federal ban.

Restricting magazine capacities will have no effect on reducing the number of victims at a mass shooting incident. As a case in point, One L. Goh killed 7 and injured 3 at Oikos University in Oakland CA on April 2, 2012. Mr. Goh used a .45 caliber handgun with 4 10-round magazines because CA restricts magazine capacity.(6) The law did not prevent Mr. Goh from reloading after emptying each magazine.

I have heard the average police response time is about 5 minutes. I've seen statistics with Chicago reporting 3.46 minutes for priority 1 calls(7) and Atlanta at over 11 minutes(8) from the time 9-1-1 answers and the first officer arrives on scene. Someone intent on killing as many people as possible could easily do so even using a single round handgun or rifle, reloading after each shot, with a dozen or two casualties well within any madman's capabilities before police arrive.

To conclude, you must vote against any Federal legislation aimed at restricting gun ownership or magazine capacity. Simply put, criminals do not obey the law. Neither ban will achieve the desired effect of reducing gun violence nor will they prevent some future mass shooting. A more beneficial aspect to consider is providing adequate funding to mental health care, which has been woefully underfunded since long before the advent of "community" mental health. Your oath of office requires you to defend and bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution and its Second Amendment:(9)
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."(10)

Respectfully/Sincerely,

Sources:
    (1) http://www.brookings.edu/es/urban/pu...s/gunbook4.pdf
    (2) http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...th-edition.pdf
    (3) THR - Page Not Found
    (4) http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...ables/table-20
    (5) Rational Basis Analysis of "Assault Weapon" Prohibition
    (6) Oikos University shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (7) http://www.wbez.org/story/chicago-po...own-2012-97137
    (8) http://apbweb.com/featured-articles/...y-to-city.html
    (9) http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/...ath_Office.htm
    or Office of the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives - Member FAQs
    (10) http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitut...cond_amendment

digitalphoenix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    In a cornfield.
    I left a message on his wall and sent him a private message on Facebook as well. This is what I sent him:

Senator Donnelly, I ask that you stay away from Senator Feinstein's assault weapons ban bill or any kind that resembles it even the slightest. It prevents law abiding citizens like you and I from properly protecting ourselves against criminals and tyranny.
    This bill is highly inaccurate on what it states to ban because these weapons on the list are semi automatic rifles that merely look like assault weapons. They are sporting rifles. And punishing the law abiding citizens who do nothing more than shoot paper targets and steel plates downrange at their favorite gun range is highly unfair.
    A high capacity magazine ban will not work to deter crime either because it only takes a 1/2 a second to reload on average. And people buy 9mm handguns for more rounds to protect themselves from criminals, There is no sense having a 9mm handgun if this ban goes through.
    People do not realize that these weapons bans accomplish nothing but cause more crime. Look at the prohibition of alcohol in the early 1900's. It did not stop the consumption of alcohol, just moved it underground. Crime skyrocketed in major cities due to the prohibition and the same will happen if weapons are removed from law abiding citizens and that is what this bill proposes it will do.
    No weapons ban would have prevented these recent disasters from happening. If anything, the law actually stopped the Sandy Hook shooter from obtaining a firearm legally, so he went to his mother's firearms instead. He was also 20, you must be 21 to possess a handgun.
    Just look at Chicago, you are not allowed to carry legally there and their crime is off the charts.
    I want to keep my rifles and handguns. I want to protect myself and other people from deranged madmen who also have guns.
    All the people from the state of Indiana would love to hear from you on your stance on this bill!
    Thank you.
    Sincerely, ------

Last edited:
    Top Bottom