• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    I used the Ruger take action site and sent out an email voicing support of the 2nd amendment and this is the letter I received from our Senator. I'll let the forum be the judge of the response.

The following is from Senator Donnelly:

Dear Mr. SubicWarrior1988,

I am a supporter of the Second Amendment, and I have voted to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners. Like all Americans, I was shaken to my core by the senseless murders of 20 children in Newtown, Connecticut. It is only reasonable for all of us to consider ways to reduce the likelihood of a tragedy like that happening again.

Whether a gun owner or not, a Democrat or a Republican, everyone would agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. My concern is not those who follow the law, but those who do not. For this reason, I will not support legislation that would ban the sale of assault weapons to those who obey the law. I will, however, give serious consideration to proposals that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, while preserving the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the U.S. Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting my website.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Just about to post mine as well. Same letter.

I did contact him regarding hunting with silencers and I got an AWB form letter...

No mention of his views on the silencer issue...

Glad he wont support AWB, but wish he read his email...

debeerman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    In a van down by the river
    All I can say is don't trust him. I have had the displeasure of having him "represent" me in his former position. The form letter response many many times does not reflect his voting record. We must still keep pressure on him, he is not a man of his word he is part of the Democratic machine.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Just about to post mine as well. Same letter.

I did contact him regarding hunting with silencers and I got an AWB form letter...

No mention of his views on the silencer issue...

Glad he wont support AWB, but wish he read his email...

The hunting issue is a state issue.......

-rvb

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Got the same form e-mail.

It took him a little while but I got the same letter. Now that either means they are actually reading the mail or are swamped, or just lazy.

Dear Mr. Durham,

I am a supporter of the Second Amendment, and I have voted to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners. Like all Americans, I was shaken to my core by the senseless murders of 20 children in Newtown, Connecticut. It is only reasonable for all of us to consider ways to reduce the likelihood of a tragedy like that happening again.

Whether a gun owner or not, a Democrat or a Republican, everyone would agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. My concern is not those who follow the law, but those who do not. For this reason, I will not support legislation that would ban the sale of assault weapons to those who obey the law. I will, however, give serious consideration to proposals that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, while preserving the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the U.S. Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting my website.

Publius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Central IN
    I got this letter as well. I suspect Donnelly will vote down an AWB if presented but tow the Democrat line and vote for "common sense" gun control (don't get me started) that would close the gun show loophole and prevent private party transfers. Time will tell.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That's funny. He didn't send me anything, and I've contacted his office twice.

I have a problem with this:

I will, however, give serious consideration to proposals that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, while preserving the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners.

Joe already knows that we have laws on the books that prevent this sort of thing from happening. Those laws aren't even being enforced. I'm not sure how he thinks that adding more laws (which won't be enforced on bad guys) will do any better. What Joe is doing is copping out. He's caving into the pressure of the left. He'll support universal background checks and gun registration. Just you wait.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I got my letter today to via e-mail. At least someone saw my e-mail and took the time to at least send something. Hopefully we can keep pressure up and keep our representatives honest.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I got my letter today to via e-mail. At least someone saw my e-mail and took the time to at least send something. Hopefully we can keep pressure up and keep our representatives honest.

I agree. It is especially important to put pressure on Donnelly. When I went to the 1/19/13 Gun Appreciation Day Rally, petitions to Sen. Coats were floating around. I think that Donnelly has a much high chance of becoming a turncoat than Coats. Sure, Coats voted for the 1994 AWB, but he's faced a lot of criticism for that. He's lucky to be back in his old post. With that said, I'm still calling Coats all the time to remind him not to vote for gun control, but I think my efforts are better spent on Donnelly.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    My next set of e-mails will be not so much voting against any weapons ban, which I am still against, but rather bills that get the firearms from criminals. That should be the focus, not banning firearms.

Top Bottom