Senator Threatens NFL Tax Exempt Status over "Redskins".

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My fave sentence, beings one of the senators is Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.).

"And given the fact that the name of Oklahoma means 'Red People' in Choctaw, this request is a little ironic."

I have no issue being called black, but if someone started a sports team, and called them the "Alabama Black People," complete with the profile of a coal black profile of a man in a top hat, I don't think I'd be out of line in being offended. Would I?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Brought to you by the same idiots who pressured the Washington Bullets to change their name to the Wizards.

Well now that one was kinda embarrassing for a DC team.

I have no issue being called black, but if someone started a sports team, and called them the "Alabama Black People," complete with the profile of a coal black profile of a man in a top hat, I don't think I'd be out of line in being offended. Would I?

Now that's kind of unrealistic isn't it? I imagine nearly every black person would be offended by that. According to Goodell he's been in contact with them and only a small minority of them seem to care about it. But even if everyone were offended by it, why is it the job of the US Senate to become involved? It's football. If you don't like the name, don't support the team, don't go to their games, don't watch them on TV.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Where does Elizabeth Warren stand on this?

Washington Redskins Look To 'Real Warriors' To Replace Offensive Indian Name

According to Snyder, the sudden renaming decision was made after a group of legislators, led by Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), wrote to the Washington football team to ask “respect for my people.”

The group, calling themselves Not In My Wigwam (Slogan: “The Only Good Indian Nickname Is A Dead Indian Nickname”) held a meeting with Redskins officials at a local Sheridan Hotel, due to their policy of free blankets and complimentary drinks.

disclaimer: some links in this post may be from satirical sources and may contain some incorrect facts.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    It's stuff like that that gives racial slurs power. If you say the "N" word everybody cringes, that gives it power. If nobody bothered to react or even give you a sideways glance over it you defeat it. Same with this. Let Redskins be a team name and everyone is fine, let it be racist and you've just legitimized it as a slur.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sure is a lot of use of tax/IRS to punish people. Sounds familiar.

Nothing wrong with the name. American-Indians aren't offended... just the leftists looking for something to be offended about on their behalf.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    ESPN had a fan poll regarding this subject not too long ago. Around 80% said the name should remain the same and that was within D.C. Dan Snyder will not willingly change the name of the franchise with those kinds of numbers. If 80% opposed the name, he would change it. Right now, it is just a vocal minority wanting the name changed.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    Good question.

On the original post. I agree. if you don't like the name don't support the team. I am creek and the name in the context used does not bother me. THe mascot the cleavland Indians use is much more offensive and that does not even bother me. There is something called the first amendment.

If Cantwell ( who is not even from DC) does not like it she can go pound sand.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I find that funny since the leading "gay" person in our family is rather *****y and whiny never meeting a victim of society she didn't like.

It also reminds me that I remember a time in which if a person were said to be straight, it meant he didn't use drugs.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Perhaps the good senator would be appeased by renaming the team in honor of the Senate, specifically being named the Washington Crooks.

Top Bottom