• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    In yet another attempt to further degrade the 10th Amendment, a trio of senators are proposing to raise the age at which a person can obtain a drivers license to 18. They'd only be able to get a restricted permit at 16, rather than a license. It's bad enough that one must have permission to travel the roads in this country, placing further restrictions on who is allowed is too much again, and forcing the states to adhere to yet another federal mandate....ah, who am I kidding? There's loads of people out there, (and likely here) who will think it's the greatest idea since sliced bread.

via USA Today

Every state except North Dakota has a licensing program for teens that includes three phrases. The strongest programs include restrictions on nighttime driving, limits on the number of teen passengers and a minimum age of 16 for getting a learner's permit. Forty-two states allow learner's permits before age 16.
    Programs reduce deaths
    There is little debate about the effectiveness of good GDL programs on highway safety. States that impose major restrictions have seen crash reductions of 10%-30%, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. In Massachusetts, fatal crashes involving drivers younger than 18 dropped 75% in the three years after the state implemented tougher restrictions for young drivers; injury crashes involving these drivers fell 38%.
    What is sparking controversy is a key component of the proposed federal legislation: It raises the age at which young drivers can get a learner's permit from 14 or 15 in most states to 16; it also sets 18 as the minimum age at which young drivers can get an unrestricted license.
    More statist nonsense at the source.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    16 year olds scare me on the road, but they have a right to drive to and from work just like I do. I have a right to make a living and get there and so does the 16 year old kid.

match14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    South Central IN.
    Aside from being legally liable for their actions at age 18, I really don't think that they'll drive any better if the age is raised two years. The way I see it is that an 18 year old w/o driving experience is just as bad as a 16 year old w/o experience. I don't think maturity would become a large factor until they enter their twenties. Which I think is a symptom of our society's lack of imparting responsibility to young people.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Aside from being legally liable for their actions at age 18, I really don't think that they'll drive any better if the age is raised two years. The way I see it is that an 18 year old w/o driving experience is just as bad as a 16 year old w/o experience. I don't think maturity would become a large factor until they enter their twenties. Which I think is a symptom of our society's lack of imparting responsibility to young people.

Boy you got THAT right!

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville

That is exactly what I tell people when they say it should be raised. They seem to think a higher age automatically means a higher ability.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It seems like we need to just drop the whole Constitution craziness, get rid of all State and local governments, and just have the one big Federal government.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    It would also help if we actually taught people how to drive. 95% of time spent in driver's education courses goes toward code compliance - how to not break the arbitrary rules. Very little time, if any, is spent teaching people HOW to drive - driving in bad weather, driving on wet pavement, how to make a decision, how to turn into a slide, how to gauge speed without a speedo, how to observe what lies ahead and react, etc..

As an aside, your "driver's license" isn't about qualifying you drive safely on public roads. If you haven't noticed how many times it enters you life as a de facto gov permission slip, give a thought sometime. It basically is the "proper person" qualifier, that, as I said, has nothing to do with driving ability.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Drivers education is not beneficial anymore since it doesn't really lower your insurance much. When it was time for me to get my license it only saved me a few months time and almost no money compared to the cost of the class so I did not do it.

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    I think in Arizona you have to be 18 and have a GED or high school diploma to get a drivers license. When you get it your good till you are 65 lol

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    im more scared of old senile drivers on the road who are blind as hell, and cant hear either.

either way, this is just another case of the feds sticking their noses where they dont belong. Heres an idea for all these "smart" politicians ...... how about securing our borders instead of worying about doing things the constitution says you cant do??? DUMBAZZES!!!!

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Common sense cannot be legislated.
    Anyone getting behind the wheel for the first time is inexperienced by definition.
    They could raise the age limit to 30, and then we would have a bunch of inexperienced 30 year olds on the road.
    A politicians sole occupation and objective is to get re-elected he(she) has no other ideals or motive. :rolleyes:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm totally fine with the current driving age, but I also like the probationary 10:00 PM curfew they instated for new drivers also...Hell, I'd be fine with extending it...I remember back when I was an invincible teenager.:n00b:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Stupid is as stupid does, changing the age, curfew, whatever won't make stupid people smarter.

It's also THE PARENTS' job to teach their children how to drive, not the government. It blows me away that parents will put their kids through 40 hours of government instruction and then expect them to be good to go without any other instruction.

Just plain lazy, IMO.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've always believed that kids should get their beginners permit at age 14. I let my daughter start driving through our neighbor hood with me at age 13. When she took drivers ed, her instructor told hershe really didn't need it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I started driving at age 10 or 11. One of the great things about growing up in the country. I was driving the roads by my house by myself by 12 or 13.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I agree with the above sentiment. If we're going to do driver's Education, it should begin in Jr. High, not the 2 weeks in the summer before you get your license.

Top Bottom