• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've been trying to work through some issues with my Bersa Thunder 9 UC, but today was just too much. I took it to the range and only managed to get one round down range before I started getting multiple FTFs.

The gun has about 800 rounds through it, but seems to be giving me more trouble the more I try to feed it. It started with mag spring issues, but now it doesn't seem to want to feed or fire at all.

I had already given up on it as a carry piece, but now it's not even a range toy. I'm ready to trade it away for something else, but can't in good conscience pass the problem onto someone else. I guess I'll be sending it back to Bersa for service soon.

I'm bummed as this was my first handgun and seems to be well machined. I want to keep it, but it just doesn't want to work.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have heard that Bersa is good to deal with. Hopefully it will come back working great.

I had a 380 thunder that was really fussy about what brand ammo I ran threw it. I finally sold it to a buddy of mine. I told him about my ammo issues. He loves the gun. I hated it. He's happy and I am happy it's gone! I do kind os wish I would have taken the time to figure out the issue. Remington ammo ran great threw it.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    As for repair / customer service, I sent in a Bersa BP9CC for slide lock issues (Colorado Gun Works, Lyons IN) and ended up getting a replacement...it took a while and they weren't the best communicators but they did right by me.

Are your issues FTF or FTE/FTL? I had some FTF issues but turns out I had some foreign 9mm (South African) designed for a stout SMG firing pin and the pistol strikes were too weak to make it go bang. Changed ammo and problem solved.

I have a buddy who has a Thunder and consistently had FTE/FTL issues if the operator didn't hold it firm...almost had to lean into it for it to function properly. Allowed me to exaggerate and tease him about limp wristing.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Man OP, sorry to hear that. I have had three Bersa products, in the past, and they ran well for me. Now, these were the Thunder .380's, but none the same I felt secure carrying them all. I still think Bersa does a pretty good job for the money. Hope you can get it fixed.

BTW, at least you did not buy a Remington 700, then one week later have to send it back to Remington to get the trigger replaced due to recall! I did! They have had it for two weeks now, and have not even touched it yet. Hope Bersa does quicker work than that.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Trust me, I've tried all brands of ammo. This was Blazer Brass 115 grain. It [the pistol] ran fairly consistent when I first got it. I had some feeding issues, but I attributed that mostly to a bad mag spring which I replaced. Then the slide wouldn't stay locked back after the last round even with the mag seated firmly. A lot of working the slide at home yesterday was causing the slide to stay locked back, so I was encouraged before I gave it another chance at the range today.

The problems started on the second round. First one went bang, but the DA/SA never kicked in. It reset to DA but no bang on second pull, or third, or fourth, fifth. You get the idea.

I cleared the round and tried the next one. It fired, but then same issue as before. No SA mode, no bang. I repeated that sequence a few times. Same issue. Then tried next mag. Got about 4 shots off before the hang ups started all over. I gave up, tore down the gun and went back to the Glock 19 (Perfect for 700 rounds so far).

Back to Bersa it will go. I'm sure they'll make it right.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Man OP, sorry to hear that. I have had three Bersa products, in the past, and they ran well for me. Now, these were the Thunder .380's, but none the same I felt secure carrying them all. I still think Bersa does a pretty good job for the money. Hope you can get it fixed.

BTW, at least you did not buy a Remington 700, then one week later have to send it back to Remington to get the trigger replaced due to recall! I did! They have had it for two weeks now, and have not even touched it yet. Hope Bersa does quicker work than that.

I'll bet your rifle is sitting with about 50k other returned for service rifles :-( My cousin and a buddy of mine both have rifle's that need returned. Mine is old enough that it is not in the recall. I got lucky.

Top Bottom