• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Here are some pics of a 7TS with ALS for a G19. Two inches thick at its widest point.

FL8pBKr.jpg

elaNzTd.jpg

2HLdMnf.jpg

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Serpa holsters we're mandated for Department Of Justice FBOP SORT teams about 10 years ago when I was a trainer. (Wasn't my call) I personally like Safariland products. We never experienced any of the reported lock ups or finger in the trigger guard issues and any other issues that seem to always get mentioned with Serpa holsters (Sig 228 is the issues weapon) We used them hard. Repelling,running, crawling etc in multi weapons courses etc.

The main reason they were "adopted" was cost. Personally I liked the Safariland holster we used previous and would choose that again.

What I took from them is if you are going to train train train a Serpa will probably work (despite better designed out there) but for most people they are probably better off with a different type.

Just what I observed with almost a decade of use.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Same profile for a 1911...???
    I see the thumb release.
    Not sure about the 1911 holster profile, (I retired all my last 1911 in 2006) but the button is in the same place on all holsters I have seen? Very intuitive, if you have a proper firing grip, you WILL release the weapon.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not sure about the 1911 holster profile, (I retired all my last 1911 in 2006) but the button is in the same place on all holsters I have seen? Very intuitive, if you have a proper firing grip, you WILL release the weapon.

That I have seen clears up one issue I had.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Serpa holsters we're mandated for Department Of Justice FBOP SORT teams about 10 years ago when I was a trainer. (Wasn't my call) I personally like Safariland products. We never experienced any of the reported lock ups or finger in the trigger guard issues and any other issues that seem to always get mentioned with Serpa holsters (Sig 228 is the issues weapon) We used them hard. Repelling,running, crawling etc in multi weapons courses etc.

The main reason they were "adopted" was cost. Personally I liked the Safariland holster we used previous and would choose that again.

What I took from them is if you are going to train train train a Serpa will probably work (despite better designed out there) but for most people they are probably better off with a different type.

FLETC has had a number of ND’s with the Serpa, and banned them, only to be over ridden because it was the issue BP holster, and they didn’t want to buy new!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Pictur of a “high thumb” firing grip such as is commonly used on a 1911. My thumb is automatically already pushing the button rearward, which will release the weapon from the holster. Taking pics by yourself is kinda hard on an iPad btw.

K96o2DL.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've carried in Safariland holsters for 20 years, if my pistol is not concealed I wouldn't consider anything else. For concealed carry I have yet to find anything that holds more securely (without buttons, switches, levers, etc) than Indiana's very own Henry Holsters. The dude knows his stuff, no doubt about it.

As far as Serpa's go, I've had more than one officer learn the hard way about their quality. I don't like their retention lever, I get that some are capable of training properly and not shooting themselves, I just don't see the necessity when there are other options just as effective without relying on the booger hook to release a retention device.

I have a Serpa "Level III" holster in my office. Sometimes it's a level III and sometimes it's a level 1,000,000 because no matter how hard you smash the thumb lever it just bends rather than releasing the hood and allowing the pistol to come out of the holster. It was given to me by an officer who chose to ignore our advice, he was quite humbled handing it over but wanted us to use it to show other officers.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    OK OK OK fellas I ordered one tonight.
    C’mon old man, I wasn’t talking about YOU, I was talking about Serpa owners in general. Since I’m a relative nobody, I thought that professional trainers, and real deal operators that were on P&S would spark a light of hope in the back of their minds. You, I figured I’d just have to bring one to our next lunch so you could see the error of your ways!;)

You will be dragged completely into the 21st century before the turn of the 22nd!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    For concealed carry I have yet to find anything that holds more securely (without buttons, switches, levers, etc) than Indiana's very own Henry Holsters. The dude knows his stuff, no doubt about it..

Yep. I’ve been using a Henry AIWB holster for several years now. You can’t make the gun fall out of that holster, even if you grab the body of the holster and shake it upside down.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Did you have that heavy duty version, or the consumer edition that most people know as the SERPA?

This
    bh_44h107bk-r-holsters-front.jpg.aspx
    is probably a little more rugged and useful than this
    BH_410500BK_L_Holster_Front.jpg.aspx

Top Bottom