• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Just to throw this out there; Suppose you were out in public when some idiots bust around the corner with AKs and/or ARs and hollering about wanting everyone to meet Allah. Then suppose while $#!+ing your drawers you decide to pull out your little pistola and bust some caps (all caught up in the spirit of the thing and all). Then lets further suppose that It's all just a secret active shooter drill like at Andrews base this morning.

That would really suck.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well, in my experience (very limited) the actual live part of the drill theater is in a VERY controlled environment using folks who are briefed on exactly what is going to happen immediately before it happens so they can practice the run/hide/fight that they are taught.

Phase two are volunteers acting like they are dead and/or wounded in another staged area so the rescue teams can practice doing their things to "clean up" the scene.

A properly planned active shooter drill doesnt happen as OP posted. (But I appreciate the thought out scenario)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

It might have been a stupid thought but to quote Buffalo Springfield's For What It's Worth, "Nobody is right when everybody is wrong". The drill made national news as real before being quickly knocked down by those in the know.

So what is the current correct course of action? Minding of ones business (usually prudent) or reporting what you think you are seeing?

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I haven't read the AFB thread, but I would hope those drills would only happen under controlled environments and not just in the general public.

A few years back I threw all the gear I could immediately find in the truck to run over the hill. I'd heard on the police scanner about an Airforce jet crashing into the Nashville Opry. Luckily, as I topped the hill, I heard another report of a school bus roll over, multiple casualties, at a different location. Hmm, seems ironic...

They eventually made drill announcements every 20 minutes or so, after 911 was deluged. They were quite shocked at how many organizations, let alone private parties monitored locally.

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Always remember that things are usually not what they seem....... I learned when I worked for the Govt. who has perfected the skill to an art form.........

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Funny thing is that even if you publicize it for days, when you carry out the actual event, people still panic and call the police.

Case in point, back in the days of the early US space program my father worked for a company that developed the emergency destruct devices for missiles and rockets. For one solid week before a test detonation, they would not only have notified the police, fire and news agencies with the exact time of detonation, calling them daily with reminders, but the TV stations would broadcast several times daily for the week before that there will be a controlled explosion at "ABCD Inc" at noon on Friday.

The fire and police personnel would already be at my father's place of business, knowing full well that at 12:00 and two seconds their switch boards will be flooded with calls about an explosion at the bomb making plant.

I never doubted my dad's happiness at the time because he got paid to blow things up!

Top Bottom