Several news outlets are discussing President Trump becoming the next Speaker of the House if Republicans take back the house.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    So they are are saying that Trump could run against the democrat in the district where he lives now in FL. But, they also point out that the Constitution is silent on who the house can elect as their speaker. So they could in fact all elect Trump as speaker with a simple majority of 218 votes, even if he isn't a member of congress.

What are your thoughts?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So they are are saying that Trump could run against the democrat in the district where he lives now in FL. But, they also point out that the Constitution is silent on who the house can elect as their speaker. So they could in fact all elect Trump as speaker with a simple majority of 218 votes, even if he isn't a member of congress.

What are your thoughts?

I believe they could BUT, he would not be allowed on the house floor as the house rules would need to be changed to do so.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I believe they could BUT, he would not be allowed on the house floor as the house rules would need to be changed to do so.
    I also don't think it would happen, but I think the House determines House rules, so if there were a Republican majority? :dunno: Guess it would depend on if a simple majority were enough, or if there had to be a higher percentage.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    To elect the speaker yes, but not sure about changing House rules to allow him on the floor of the House. Or did it specify that too? (I didn't read the article.)

The rules are silent on the issue. The Constitution only states they elect their speaker, it doesn't give direction on where the vote must come from. They have cast votes for no house members dozens of times.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I read Trump said he had no interest in running for a house seat, and I agree with his position. He has much more power simply using his influence to get rid of the Rinos and then maybe run for President in 2024 provided he isn't already serving as president after the forensic audits prove Biden never won and the fraud was massive in the 2020 election. I would laugh if it happened after 2 years and he was able to serve out the last 2 years for Biden and then serve again when elected in 2024. People say there is nothing in the constitution to reverse an election once certified, but there is also nothing that says you can't considering we have never been in that situation. A state should be able to revoke their electoral votes if they find they were fraud. Same for Senators or House reps that may have been illegally elected. The Senate and House have flipped mid election before.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

What are your thoughts?

This would be the funniest thing to ever happen in politics and would cause the most whining imaginable.

If they thought he was trouble in the whitehouse, if he held a seat with actual power things would get funny.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I seriously doubt it could happen, but the fact that there is discussion about it is incredibly humorous, and fascinating to me.
    Trump is still living rent-free in so many peoples heads...

On a side note,
    has anyone else heard about CNN's ratings tank?
    Jake Tapper has LOST 75% of his audience since Trump left office!
    Now THAT'S funny, I don't care who the hell you are.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I seriously doubt it could happen, but the fact that there is discussion about it is incredibly humorous, and fascinating to me.
    Trump is still living rent-free in so many peoples heads...

On a side note,
    has anyone else heard about CNN's ratings tank?
    Jake Tapper has LOST 75% of his audience since Trump left office!
    Now THAT'S funny, I don't care who the hell you are.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This would be the funniest thing to ever happen in politics and would cause the most whining imaginable.

If they thought he was trouble in the whitehouse, if he held a seat with actual power things would get funny.
    What would be even funnier would be to lead a fight to give the president a line item veto and then run for president and win, then get out the axe

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    So hypothetically Trump is Speaker of the House, Biden is removed from office due to senility, Harris either gets removed or can’t serve as Pres for any number of reasons, and voila - President Trump! The wailing and knashing of teeth would be fascinating to hear. Too bad it’s just a dream.

Top Bottom