• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    You showed her who's boss--maybe next time she'll learn not to burn the dinner :)

Seriously, though, as others have stated, there is "What you think you're going to do in a confrontation" and "What you actually do in a confrontation" and many times those things don't line up. Mostly this is based on a lack of training and preparation as I think others have already said.

What I think is not taught enough is the observation and avoidance aspect. (Mentioned often, yes. Actually TAUGHT often, no.) The risk mitigation of performing the least risky task. Put me in a room with some MMA dude and tell us to go at it and I'll probably lose 9+ times out of 10. But, try to get that guy to get me in the real world and I've got a better shot because I'm going to do everything I can to avoid the confrontation in the first place. Planning, avoiding certain areas, aware of my surroundings, always having avenues of escape, trying to see before being seen, conducting vulnerability self-assessments, etc, etc, etc. I've been in protective operations for over a decade. We have a saying, if we have to shoot, we've made a whole list of mistakes to get to that point. I firmly believe that.

I just reread Cooper's book on Personal Defense for the who knows how many times. I would encourage your girlfriend to get as much training as she can (particularly force on force) but that brain is still the most important weapon. Have her read that book and get mentally prepared and observant.

Although all 3 are important, in my experience, Mindset is more important than gear and skill.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    First off there is nothing wrong with caring about your loved ones enough to help them better understand reality, within reason of course.

That said, it's important to understand that a firearm is only one part of the equation. This has been mentioned but regardless of how skilled she might become with the weapon it's of no use if it can't be accessed under the stress and chaos of a real assault. She needs training in transitional skills (empty-hands, improvised weapons, etc) along with the firearm and most importantly she needs to be taught how important Mind-Set is and how to develop it. As was also mentioned, she should be encouraged to seek out scenario-based / force-on-force training. While training the fundamentals is important it generally doesn't prepare someone for the stress-inducing experience of explosive close quarter violence.

Steve

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm glad she realized it. I never had issues with accepting the need to do more, but there have been times when Mr88GT's strength brings it real close to home. I'm no small thing and not lacking in strength, but I am no match for a man's strength. It's scary.

Sounds like she could use some training in Krav Maga. It's down and dirty.
    Yes, it is. And I wish I knew someone on my side of town that offered instruction in it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Side note, when I first stumbled upon this thread, it said

Sexual assault/rape
    By iChokePeople

:laugh:

how-to-guide.jpg

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Here are some training tips from some classic awareness footage.

[video=youtube;FbUD7FRStbY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL163ACF22E3E3000A&v=FbUD7FRStbY[/video]

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    The continuum of force isn't limited to weapons. Serious assailants will try to stack the odds by making sure they're bigger, brought their gang, armed with SOMETHING, or all of the above. Preparing goes beyond "checking the boxes too" because, before you know it you'll be slow, old, and gimpy. At least you might be able to use that cane to "fight your way to your firearm"

Top Bottom