• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    it would suck to be billed for a service that was not provided. Usually, when you take someone's money and then not provide the service they payed for, it is called theft.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    it would suck to be billed for a service that was not provided. Usually, when you take someone's money and then not provide the service they payed for, it is called theft.

I wonder if you could sue over this?!

Maybe somebody will pursue this against BART. Hit them in the wallet and things will change.

The story says that BART did it and told the providers afterward though. Also, they shut it down because the protestors were planning on creating a disturbance to disrupt transportation service, which they believed would create an unsafe situation. I wonder how the courts would look at BART shutting down service to prevent illegal activity, if that's really what the plan was.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Maybe somebody will pursue this against the cell phone companies. Hit them in the wallet and things will change.

That was what I was thinking. I have to admit I would be fairly angry to have no service for a normal activity, let alone if I needed to place a Call for an Emergency Service...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    That was what I was thinking. I have to admit I would be fairly angry to have no service for a normal activity, let alone if I needed to place a Call for an Emergency Service...

Yep, maybe you weren't even there for the protest, you were trying to use the transportation service. It sounds like the phone companies had nothing to do with it though, so I edited that part in my post.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World

I read the article and take it as the police shut down the cell nodes then called the carriers and told them what they did. I don't think the carriers knew about it till after they had already done this.

And I would think once an innocent not at the riot had an emergency and couldn't get help that yes you could sue and probably get some money.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Ah, you are correct, Westside. The BART operators shut down service.

Sounds like the cell providers are victims as well. They should sue for lost revenue (those $0.10 each text messages add up!).

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Calls to 911 still go through, even with shutdown of general cell phone service. I remember reading that in a Emergency services manual for a job I used to have.

It might be a local rule, but if they can do it in Allen County, they can do it everywhere.

It is because so many people do not have land lines in the home anymore.

decal1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Jamestown, Indiana
    If I am reading this correctly (and I'm human so I do make many mistakes) The cell service was shut down at the mentioned stations. Without actually knowing the facts I am going to assume the stations were all underground.

I know that in some underground venues and buildings the actual property owners provide repeaters so that people can get cell service in those areas.
    It is provided as a convenience to the customers by the property owner or business. Being that it is being provided as a convenience I guess that the business owner could turn it on/off at their will since they provide it merely as a convenience. I may have missed it but I don't recall reading anything about actually shutting down outdoor cell towers.

Anyway right or wrong it's just a thought.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    "The initial statement from BART said the subway system had asked the wireless carriers to suspend the service in the stations, but Allison later said BART itself pulled the plug and notified the providers after the fact."

Because after all why should a private business's property rights interfere with what the government desires? :rolleyes:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    violation of FCC, prisons can't even block cell service to cons, but you can buy a jammer for about 5k just for fun.
    Cell phone jammers are not legal to use in the USA. You can jam GPS and FMRS/grms radios and wifi 2g 3g and now 4g also.

Not legally but since the FCC is not really around like the CB days i don't think anyone is really watching. I have been asked to install them in a few movie places and a couple or conference rooms.

Now getting one from the mid east is rather easy.. They us them all the time since many car bombs were triggered via cell phones.

No longer are they 5K either you can get one starting at 58 dollars. Now to get one that blocks out a section of a city.....You are going to need a real antenna and some real power.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Cutting Off Cell Phone Service To Squash Protest Is The Foreign Policy Of Dictators!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJKPTSvzoJ4[/ame]

Top Bottom