• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I'm going to the Sharonville Ohio gunshow this weekend and need some help? Going for ammo but if I find a handgun or longgun can I buy? How does it work if a Indiana boy wants to buy a gun in the buckeye state? Will there be Indiana FFL dealers there that will transfer? Or will I be SOL. I have never tried to buy a gun out of state before so be nice to this dumb country boy.

Thanks for all yur help,
    Littlejoe

wirelessguy2005

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    i can tell you from first hand experience at the ohio gun shows that you definately can't buy a handgun and leave with it, it has to go to an FFL. all else is fair game.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So basically, you can still buy a handgun but just not walk away with it that same day. You could if you find an IN FFL in the show, but you probably have to make arrangements with the Ohio dealer to ship it over here to the FFL of your choice, basically just like if you bought a gun online from Gunbroker.com or some other method. Figure out which local FFL you would use and get their address & info, and find out what their price for transfer is.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Depends on who you know.

I've bought plenty of handguns at the sharonville, oh gun show.

Hell some of them don't even know the law, and if they do, they don't care.

I've attempted to do paperwork on several handguns only to be told "CASH AND CARRY". :laugh:

Also, I've gotten handguns from OHIO dealers and I can take it to my local IN dealer, he logs it into books, and I own it. No differnet then if the OHIO dealer SHIPPED it to the Indiana dealer. Perfectly legal.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Depends on who you know.

I've bought plenty of handguns at the sharonville, oh gun show.

Hell some of them don't even know the law, and if they do, they don't care.

I've attempted to do paperwork on several handguns only to be told "CASH AND CARRY". :laugh:

Also, I've gotten handguns from OHIO dealers and I can take it to my local IN dealer, he logs it into books, and I own it. No differnet then if the OHIO dealer SHIPPED it to the Indiana dealer. Perfectly legal.

If you bought it from an OH resident, that's a felony. Buying from an ffl and taking it is, iirc, also illegal, as it is an ffl transferring ownership to a resident of a different state. I'm in class so I can't check, but I will later

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    If you bought it from an OH resident, that's a felony. Buying from an ffl and taking it is, iirc, also illegal, as it is an ffl transferring ownership to a resident of a different state. I'm in class so I can't check, but I will later

Meh, "legal" is tenative here.

As for the FFL thing, its 100% legal. "FFL to FFL". No different then an FFL at teh show transfering to an Indiana FFL then to you.

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Meh, "legal" is tenative here.

If nobody knows, its legal.

As for the FFL thing, its 100% legal. "FFL to FFL". No different then an FFL at teh show transfering to an Indiana FFL then to you.

No, it's not. Legal means legal, illegal means illegal. If you get caught for doing an act means nothing on it's legality. It's a felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison and $250,000 in fines. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, and taking advontage of others who may not know the law is even worse because you do.

Again, I'm still in class, but do you do an NICS with the OH ffl? If so, and the reads ad I recall, that is in fact illegal to be given the gun, even if it is going to an IN ffl eventually. It is completely different than sending to an ffl, verification and transport/transfer wise. It's people like you who knowingly break federal laws that will not only result in the closing of the " gun show loophole" but worse gun control overall.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    No, it's not. Legal means legal, illegal means illegal. If you get caught for doing an act means nothing on it's legality. It's a felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison and $250,000 in fines. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, and taking advontage of others who may not know the law is even worse because you do.

Again, I'm still in class, but do you do an NICS with the OH ffl? If so, and the reads ad I recall, that is in fact illegal to be given the gun, even if it is going to an IN ffl eventually. It is completely different than sending to an ffl, verification and transport/transfer wise. It's people like you who knowingly break federal laws that will not only result in the closing of the " gun show loophole" but worse gun control overall.

I'm not going to argue with you sport. I deal with FFLs, I think they know the law a tad bit better then you or I. If they are OKAY with it, I am OKAY with it. I don't run their businesses nor do I tell them how to operate. Once I pass the background check, its my gun. The end.

If the FFLs are running a foul of the law, that is their problem, not mine.

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm not going to argue with you sport. I deal with FFLs, I think they know the law a tad bit better then you or I. If they are OKAY with it, I am OKAY with it. I don't run their businesses nor do I tell them how to operate. Once I pass the background check, its my gun. The end.

If the FFLs are running a foul of the law, that is their problem, not mine.

Well, that is incorrect also. You and the FFL would be in violation of the law, so again, if pressed to, they could file charges against you and the FFL. Just as I wouldn't call an FFL and ask them a law, you shouldn't rely on them either, as it can result with you being convicted of a felony and in jail. The FFLs may sell guns, but to think that they know the laws inside and out and rely on that is irresponsible at best. So, I'm OKAY with you going to jail, if you're OKAY with going to jail :rolleyes:

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, that is incorrect also. You and the FFL would be in violation of the law, so again, if pressed to, they could file charges against you and the FFL. Just as I wouldn't call an FFL and ask them a law, you shouldn't rely on them either, as it can result with you being convicted of a felony and in jail. The FFLs may sell guns, but to think that they know the laws inside and out and rely on that is irresponsible at best. So, I'm OKAY with you going to jail, if you're OKAY with going to jail :rolleyes:

:lol2:

I shouldn't rely on an FFL to know the law and sell me a gun?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I shouldn't rely on an FFL to know the law and sell me a gun?

The BATF haven't even figured out how they want to change their laws this week, why would you assume the FFLs understood them?

My opinion, when dealing with the possibility of a Federal Felony, is to err on the side of caution. And if I do something that is obviously a felony, to not post about it on message boards. But that is just me. :rolleyes:

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    The BATF haven't even figured out how they want to change their laws this week, why would you assume the FFLs understood them?

My opinion, when dealing with the possibility of a Federal Felony, is to err on the side of caution. And if I do something that is obviously a felony, to not post about it on message boards. But that is just me. :rolleyes:

Anything COULD be illegal at any given time. If you are that worried about it, I suggest you play Checkers and sell your guns.

I trust my FFL, as a police officer and a FFL holder of 27 years.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    (b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
    (3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee’s place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee’s place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

Paragraphs (1), (2), (3), and (4) of this subsection shall not apply to transactions between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors. Paragraph (4) of this subsection shall not apply to a sale or delivery to any research organization designated by the Attorney General.

What is the process you go through with OH FFLs? Now, does transferring it yourself after buying it in a different state make it legal?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

I like to stay legal too. And to say "it's only illegal if you get caught" is asinine.

Anything COULD be illegal at any given time. If you are that worried about it, I suggest you play Checkers and sell your guns.

I trust my FFL, as a police officer and a FFL holder of 27 years.
    And there's a memb er here that did FTFs with KY cops, a violation federal law. AGAIN, FFLs and police don't necessarily know laws. Simple as that.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    What is the process you go through with OH FFLs? Now, does transferring it yourself after buying it in a different state make it legal?

BINGO. I didn't "BUY" it in another state. I had my FFL(Indiana) take possesion of it from an OHIO(FFL) dealer, usually FTF.

Any info on person you say did FTF with KY cops? Just curious.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

BINGO. I didn't "BUY" it in another state. I had my FFL(Indiana) take possesion of it from an OHIO(FFL) dealer, usually FTF.

Which is it? You buy from the OH dealer and take it to IN, or your FFL buys it then sells it to you?

Also though, there's no question that the FTFs are illegal, correct?

ETA: yeah, i'll look it up real quick, gimme a min :)

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Which is it? You buy from the OH dealer and take it to IN, or your FFL buys it then sells it to you?

Also though, there's no question that the FTFs are illegal, correct?

ETA: yeah, i'll look it up real quick, gimme a min :)

Same process on both as long as OHIO FFL is OKAY with my FFL paying him directly and me paying my FFL. Haven't had 1 yet who wasn't fine with that.

FTF without FFL involved from different states = illegal

To OP, rifles 100% fine, handguns are good to go also with FFL, a bit of hassle but nothing major. It's a great show with plenty of EBR's and ammo.

Top Bottom