• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7.62-5.56Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, IN
    hello ive got a few knives that are pretty dull and i need to sharpen them. i cant bring myself to buy a sharpener from Chinamart, cuz it will prolly break the first time i try to use it. what do you guys sharpen with?

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I use the smiths 3 in 1 sharpening system. easy to use and it puts a razor sharp edge on my blades, and it's less than $20 on[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-CCD4-Field-Sharpening-System/dp/B000N35D2E"] Amazon[/ame].

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I had a lansky sharpening system for years and loved it. I finally wore out hIe stones and replaced it with a smith from Gander. Any of the sharpeners that have a blade vise, guide rods and multiple stones will give you an excellent edge with just a little effort.

try this for an even longer lasting edge sharpen the knife at 25degrees then run over it with a very fine stone at 35-45 degrees. It gives your knife a more durable edge without sacrifice of sharpness.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    for most knives the Spyderco Sharpmaker is perfect.

if you don't have the time, or really want to do it, send it to Tyler. it will make your life much easier. send dull knives, get sharp knives.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    Looks like I may have to try one of the Spyderco Sharpmakers....I have a Lanksy that I have used for years but figure it is time to try something new and those look promising.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    I could never get the factory edge back no matter what I used regardless of the knife. The local knife shop owner can get it close or even better and for a few bucks, why not let a pro do it.

I might also try the Spyderco pocket sharpener as suggested but these devices never seem to get that face shaving kind of edge. You know the kind where you won't shave with it but will probably cut yourself accidentally and then say: damn this knife is sharp.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I could never get the factory edge back no matter what I used regardless of the knife. The local knife shop owner can get it close or even better and for a few bucks, why not let a pro do it.

I might also try the Spyderco pocket sharpener as suggested but these devices never seem to get that face shaving kind of edge. You know the kind where you won't shave with it but will probably cut yourself accidentally and then say: damn this knife is sharp.

The first time I used my sharpmaker I was able to get a blade sharp enough to remove hair from my arm with ease. There is a lot of room for improvement, but that will come with practice.

The sharpmaker comes with an instructional DVD that teaches you how to sharpen just about anything, and it's actually really helpful.

Top Bottom