• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    what can I put on the blade of my ESEE4 to get it to stop that little bit of what looks like rust or corrosion on the bare metal from coming around?

ESEE use 1095 steel, which has a high carbon percentage in it. This makes them more prone to rust. Just put a little gun oil on it. I just squirt a little Ballistol on my ESEE's and they are good to go.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    what can I put on the blade of my ESEE4 to get it to stop that little bit of what looks like rust or corrosion on the bare metal from coming around?

I use vegetable oil after sharpening or cleaning. I use mine primarily for game cleaning, so I have opted for something that would be safe to ingest...

shadowangel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Most any kind of oil is probably good to go for that..you just want a film to keep air and moisture away from the steel.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    For those of you who use the sharpmaker, do you all use the 30 or 40 degree slots?

For my ESEE knives, I use the 40 degree slots as per recommended by ESEE (20 degrees per side). Since I use them for outdoor use and heavier tasks, I want them to stay sharp longer. The 30 degree edge goes too fast for my taste, at least on other knives.

Now, for the knives I use in the kitchen, I do a 30 degree angle. It's easier for slicing and chopping IMO. I don't use the ESEEs for this because I find too much drag caused by the coating. The stainless steel line that I'll be purchasing from knifelady when available will be used in the kitchen for sure.

That's how I roll. YMMV

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood

Tuff cloth works great. Rem oil is good as well. I use super quick clean guns since its a dry lubricant and rust inhibitor. It's go to go for food processing in the sense that you would have to consume a lot of it before you get the :poop:s

Aside from oil, use it. The more you get it out and use it, whatever surface rust is there will get knocked off. More often its used, the less likely it will rust.

Which blade(s) do you have?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom