• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Does anyone on here have any experience shipping a handgun interstate with FedEx or UPS, non-licensee to licensee? I am not asking for speculation on legality, I know it is legal via contract carriers, and FedEx' website indicates that they will allow it, I am just looking for any kind of feedback on the process.

Back story is I am selling a pistol to a buddy of mine in Virginia, and he has a friendly neighborhood FFL.

Again, I am not looking for any kind of legal discussion, per se; the only exception would be if any of the contract carriers have started to refuse shipping, on their own, regardless of the law.

[On a side note, I called a local gun store and asked them about shipping. Value of the gun is roughly $450 (they asked). They quoted me $70 to ship. Perhaps it is because they have recently become INGO supporters (hint hint) and are suddenly strapped for cash, but if that isn't gouging, I don't know what is. I will continue shopping there, but it wasn't cool.]

**Update: The above negative comments about a local gun store were incorrect. The store was NOT attempting to price gouge. They did refuse to explain the cost when I asked, and that is what led to my frustration.

Last edited:

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I recently had a new weapon warranty return to the manufacturer with their return label. I can't imagine it having popped them for anything comparable to what you stated or they couldn't afford to stay in business. Fedex didn't even ask what it was.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Does anyone on here have any experience shipping a handgun interstate with FedEx or UPS, non-licensee to licensee? I am not asking for speculation on legality, I know it is legal via contract carriers, and FedEx' website indicates that they will allow it, I am just looking for any kind of feedback on the process.

Back story is I am selling a pistol to a buddy of mine in Virginia, and he has a friendly neighborhood FFL.

Again, I am not looking for any kind of legal discussion, per se; the only exception would be if any of the contract carriers have started to refuse shipping, on their own, regardless of the law.

[On a side note, I called a local gun store and asked them about shipping. Value of the gun is roughly $450 (they asked). They quoted me $70 to ship. Perhaps it is because they have recently become INGO supporters (hint hint) and are suddenly strapped for cash, but if that isn't gouging, I don't know what is. I will continue shopping there, but it wasn't cool.]

That's just crazy, an FFL can ship it USPS for you for cheap in addition to the booking fee so I would expect about half that. For less than 70.00 you can ship it yourself next day air fully insured to VA.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Everyone has a right to eat, and I have no problem with that. I also have no problem with someone not wanting a certain type of business--no need to falsely price onesself out of the market. I seriously doubt it would take that much cash to make it worth it. I am also not taking any business from them: it is an old pistol shipping out of state.

Anyway, as an unlicensed individual, I can't ship via USPS, but I can use FedEx or UPS. I am thinking FedEx, just wondering if anyone else has had experience.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    No, the "parts" route (which I suspect was a joke anyway) would not be a good idea. I thought it had to go overnight, but I was not sure. If so, the price I was quoted is not totally out of line, but I asked why it cost that much and was told "it just does." In hindsight, they might have thought I was being argumentative, but I really just want to fully understand things.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Everyone has a right to eat, and I have no problem with that. I also have no problem with someone not wanting a certain type of business--no need to falsely price onesself out of the market. I seriously doubt it would take that much cash to make it worth it. I am also not taking any business from them: it is an old pistol shipping out of state.

Anyway, as an unlicensed individual, I can't ship via USPS, but I can use FedEx or UPS. I am thinking FedEx, just wondering if anyone else has had experience.

I've shipped handguns from FedEx a ton from the north Indy location. Never had a problem there, it's not that big of a deal. Can't vouch for other locations though or UPS.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I sold some handguns on gunbroker. I shipped them FedEx. I am sure the cheapest one was over $50. They said that overnight was mandatory. It stinks.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I was more frustrated with the local gun shop that wouldn't give answers. Goods and services cost what they cost, I just didn't know and wanted a little clarification and they didn't (or possibly couldn't) provide it. I understand FedEx' policy, maybe UPS is a little different?

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I added this in my original posting, but in the spirit of fairness, I want to put it here as well.

**Update: The above negative comments about a local gun store were incorrect. The store was NOT attempting to price gouge. They did refuse to explain the cost when I asked, and that is what led to my frustration.

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I was in a UPS store and a guy came in with a gun stock and a barrel to ship to a dealer(he even had a copy of the FFL). The lady said UPS will not ship any gun parts, period. I think she was wrong about their policy, but you can't argue with a fence pole.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I was in a UPS store and a guy came in with a gun stock and a barrel to ship to a dealer(he even had a copy of the FFL). The lady said UPS will not ship any gun parts, period. I think she was wrong about their policy, but you can't argue with a fence pole.

It may depend on where it was. The smaller UPS outlets won't ship guns you have to go to an actual hub. Gun parts shouldn't have mattered though, I get stuff from Brownells all the time via UPS.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I added this in my original posting, but in the spirit of fairness, I want to put it here as well.

By just throwing out some random figure I think they just didn't want to deal with it which is their perogative. Every package will be different as well as declared value etc. etc. If you figure they said 70.00 which would include say a 25.00 booking fee then the shipping was 45.00 then that is not gouging as the actual shipping cost would be pretty cheap. I would be sure though that it was going next day air for that price and they wouldn't turn around and just ship it priority and pocket the extra 30.00. If a store won't ship it USPS priority for you with a booking fee I wouldn't even bother just go to fedex and do it yourself.

Top Bottom