Shipping a rifle person to person.... Is it legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm curious about the shipping laws when it comes to guns. I've always had the impression that you at least needed to have an FFL on the receieving end of the transaction, but is that not the case?

The gun in question is a 22lr rifle and the question is, "Can I legally ship this to a new owner within the state, keeping both parties on the right side of the law?"

23mar03

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    You can also buy a rifle from the CMP and have it shipped to your residence as well. It's better to go there a pick your personally, but they can ship it to you if you don't want to take the trip. You DON'T need and FFL for it either.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You can also buy a rifle from the CMP and have it shipped to your residence as well. It's better to go there a pick your personally, but they can ship it to you if you don't want to take the trip. You DON'T need and FFL for it either.

Now this is news to me. I've always wanted to buy a garand from the CMP, but never did because of the drive. Please explain how this is legal because now we're talking about a new purchase, and shipping between states.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    From the Faq:

-What must I do to ship a pistol or a rifle to another Indiana resident?

Rifles may be shipped via USPS. Pistols may not be shipped via USPS, but must be shipped via Common Carrier (e.g. UPS, FedEx, etc.). In either case, an FFL is not required to be involved in this process. For USPS, Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation is recommended but not required. You may also select "Signature Required" and purchase insurance as well, if you like.

-What must I do to ship a pistol or a rifle to a resident of another state?

Same as above, but the destination must be an FFL in that resident's home state. Note
    that you can ship to yourself in another state without having an FFL involved.

-What must I do to ship a pistol or a rifle to an FFL (such as back to the manufacturer, or to an FFL in another state)?

You may ship directly to an FFL, following the rules as above.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I live very close to a fedex hub where I've shipped rifles before, I never knew I could ship from myself directly to another person. Thanks for all the heads up guys, I really appreciate it.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Now this is news to me. I've always wanted to buy a garand from the CMP, but never did because of the drive. Please explain how this is legal because now we're talking about a new purchase, and shipping between states.

The CMP is excepted from the Federal laws governing interstate firearm transfers.
    They can FedEx it to your door after you meet the eligibility requirements to purchase and clear NICS.

That is, as long as you don't reside in NJ. :rolleyes:
    New Jersey Now Requires CMP Rifles to Ship to NJ-Licensed FFLs « Daily Bulletin

Top Bottom