• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    How do you ship ammo? The UPS store I talked to was utterly unhelpful. Their website does provide some information that makes the process seem not to bad.

While I'm at it, how do you ship fuel canisters (for camping, cooking, etc.)? On this one I can't navigate their website at all.

Thanks!

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My ammo has always come in by UPS. I think there are restrictions on what can be sent by air, such as camping/cooking fuel and lithium batteries.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I just shipped two boxes of ammo (to two different guys). I used UPS but you can't take it to a retail location that ships UPS, such as your local hardware store or something. I had to locate a "customer care counter" at a shipping hub. Once there, it was an easy process but pretty salty on the prices. Both single, 20 round boxes of ammo cost me around $18 each to ship to Arizona and Montana. (They were high dollar boxes of old obsolete ammo so the guys were willing to pay that)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Unless you have a daily, scheduled pickup, you drop it off at an actual UPS location (typically this is at the shipping hub, but some larger cities like Indy may have locations that aren't necessarily the shipping hub). UPS store, independent stores, UPS drop-boxes are all no-go for shipping ammo.

As far as the actual shipping, nothing really special except the Diamond label. You can also still use the "ORM-D, Cartridges, Small Arms" labels but IMHO, they just attract unwanted scrutiny by the person working the counter. If you are going to be shipping a lot of ammo I suggest you get an online UPS account and try to get in on some small business promotion to get discounted shipping rates. You can really save big that way. When I was selling off my big stock of .22 lr a few months back I did that and ended up saving a few hundred dollars on shipping charges, especially the more expensive ones going to CA, AZ, etc.

Diamond label that needs affixed on the box:
    6132(1).jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Actually you can use other than hub for shipping, just depends on the store's policy. Our local independent place accepts ammo and firearms. I've used them several times and they've never even batted an eye, even got a roll of ORM-D stickers by the scale.

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    I take all of mine to the UPS hub on Zionsville Road in Indy. The guy there (Mike I think is his name) is a "gun/prepper" guy and great to work with and is there in the late afternoon/early evenings. He did tell me the last time I was in shipping a rifle to make damn sure I never shipped any ammo in with a gun. Obviously shipping both separate is fine with proper markings on ammo box. However, both in the same box is a big no-no. He said they had a customer that shipped a shotgun and even though they asked him if he had any ammo in the box he claimed he didn't but really did. Somehow ATF found out and he was arrested and is facing some jail time.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Actually you can use other than hub for shipping, just depends on the store's policy. Our local independent place accepts ammo and firearms. I've used them several times and they've never even batted an eye, even got a roll of ORM-D stickers by the scale.

Whether or not some small stores will ship ammo or not I don't know. But I do know for a fact that it is a blatant violation of UPS policy to do so. It's a line I'd prefer not to cross. UPS has a rather strict policy that only permits 2 ways of shipping ammo. #1 You are on a regular UPS route and your stop is a regularly scheduled stop (AKA, the UPS man drops by every day to check to see if you have any packages to ship that day). or #2 You take it to the actual UPS service counter/location which is often at the hub.

Can you ship outside of those 2? I guess if you can find a place that is willing to violate UPS policy then sure.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Whether or not some small stores will ship ammo or not I don't know. But I do know for a fact that it is a blatant violation of UPS policy to do so. It's a line I'd prefer not to cross. UPS has a rather strict policy that only permits 2 ways of shipping ammo. #1 You are on a regular UPS route and your stop is a regularly scheduled stop (AKA, the UPS man drops by every day to check to see if you have any packages to ship that day). or #2 You take it to the actual UPS service counter/location which is often at the hub.

Can you ship outside of those 2? I guess if you can find a place that is willing to violate UPS policy then sure.

Interesting. I've been using this place for almost 15 years, shipped many ammo packages and firearms and never a problem.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    No one responded for a while, so I went ahead and checked with UPS. Shipping ammo is not a problem as long as (1) you take it to a hub, and (2) you affix labels on all six sides of the box declaring the content to be "CARTRIDGES, SMALL ARMS ORM-D."

You can't ship fuel or any hazmat material as an individual. If you have a contract with UPS (as a business), have gone through hazmat training, and have regular pick ups, then yes. So that makes it impractical if you just need to ship a small amount once in a while.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I take all of mine to the UPS hub on Zionsville Road in Indy. The guy there (Mike I think is his name) is a "gun/prepper" guy and great to work with and is there in the late afternoon/early evenings. He did tell me the last time I was in shipping a rifle to make damn sure I never shipped any ammo in with a gun. Obviously shipping both separate is fine with proper markings on ammo box. However, both in the same box is a big no-no. He said they had a customer that shipped a shotgun and even though they asked him if he had any ammo in the box he claimed he didn't but really did. Somehow ATF found out and he was arrested and is facing some jail time.

I call BS. I'm not aware of any Federal law that prohibits someone from shipping ammunition with a firearm.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Has anyone used ups to ship ammo recently? This info is quite old. Just need to know if it is still good. Thank you.

Top Bottom