• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I currently have two guns, a Bersa .380 Thunder and a NAA .22LR mini revolver that are in need of repair. Both are covered under warranty. I know I have several options in sending the gun back to the manufacturers for service. I seem to be the only person who has problems with these specific guns.

Here are my questions:

1) How much does it usually cost to send a firearm overnight via UPS or FedEx? Do the shipping companies charge more to send a firearms versus other items sent overnight?

2) Do you think it is necessary to send the gun in the manufacturer's box? This is not an issue with my Bersa, since it came in a cardboard box that is lightweight, but the NAA box is hard plastic and weighs more.

3)Do you usually send the pistol yourself or do you take it to a dealer and have them ship it?

4) Do you have the gun returned to a dealer or is it easier to just have it shipped back to you personally?

5) Do you know of any tricks to get the manufacturer to pay for shipping?

I appreciate any and all responses. Thanks! :)

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I don't know anything about those two companies' repair or customer services, but I've dealt with both Ruger and S&W. I didn't even have to ask for a label. I told them I had an issue, they sent me an email within a couple minutes with a label, and I took it to FedEx/UPS and sent it out that day. They came with instructions of what to do.

code_red

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    East Side Indy
    I had a Sig I had to send back. Basically same experience as scottka. Called and told them about the issue and they emailed me a FedEx overnight label within a few minutes. Instructions said mail it in the case with no extra accessories in a cardboard box. Just the gun and magazine. It has to be shipped from a FedEx express location. It was returned via FedEx second day to my house. Adult signature required.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP:

If the manufacturers won't pick up the tab for shipping, contact an FFL to see how much they charge to ship.

FFLs can utilize the MUCH LOWER costs of the USPS for shipping handguns than can we mere mortals. IT SHOULD only cost you $30-ish to pay an FFL to ship something USPS for you. (As opposed to $50+ for shipping it yourself overnight via UPS or FedEx)

When I shipped a firearm back (twice) - I put it in the factory box sans everything but the gun. (Kahr in a hard plastic clam shell box) and then put that inside a FedEx shipping box.

-J-

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    My Experience

First of all, call Bersa and NAA and tell them your problems. I can tell you that both have excellent customer service. They maybe able to help you, and avoid returning the pistol.
    From Ohio to Florida, overnight air UPS is $54.
    I sent mine back in the original box, inside another box with padding.
    If your FFL dealer will help you, you can save some money. Not many where I live will do this.
    I have never had one problem with either my Bersa or NAA. My experience is with sending a Kel-Tec back.
    Their return policies are clearly stated in their manuals and web sites.
    Kel Tec did pay my shipping both ways, ONLY because they did not fix it right the first time.
    I will tell you one thing, getting angry won't and yelling at someone, won't help your cause.
    Good Luck!

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Don't send them a mag. You might end up with a new one for free

That's a good idea; you might get lucky. You definitely don't want to send more than one magazine.

Maybe if you send them an empty box, they'll send a whole new gun. Or maybe not.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks a lot for the replies everyone. I don't think Don's Guns (where I bought my NAA six years ago--NEVER AGAIN) will be much help. I don't trust them, plus, they want to do the gunsmithing work themselves and told me that they would charge $80 for shipping (so I might as well have them do the work). I bought my Bersa at Plainfield Shooting Supplies--and I do trust them. Perhaps I'll give them a call.

I talked to Bersa today and they told me that shipping to them is on me--they'll pay to ship it back. However, they also said that Gander Mountain can do it. I called Gander Mountain as well. Apparently, they do not do in-house gunsmithing and charge $40 for "diagnostic testing." I'm just going to ship it back.

Thanks again.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    For the bersa I recommend getting a hold of Colorado gun works they just recently moved from Colorado to Lyons Indiana and they do warranty repair work for bersa. How do I know? My father in law and I dropped his off there to get worked on. Great guy to deal with

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    And also with that being said he really only does warranty work for overseas manufacturers. Idk where naa is made but if its not here he might do it too. There's 4 or 5 different companies he does work for and the only one I know for sure is bersa

Top Bottom