• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Anyone know the rules, off the top of your head, for shipping firearms back to the manufacturer. My revolver has a locked up cylinder and the manufacturer will fix it under their lifetime warranty. Unfortunately, they won't cover the shipping TO them, only back to me.

UPS - Must be overnight/next day air which will run me about $100 to ship.

FedEx - I can't find anything other than it's a restricted item.

What shipping company do you typically use?

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I had a problem with a Sig P238 last Fall. Sig CS sent me a shipping label, but it went via Fed Ex there and back to me directly (adult signature when delivered to my house). I had to take the box to the Fed Ex location at 7105 W Morris St on the West side of Indy.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I had a problem with a Sig P238 last Fall. Sig CS sent me a shipping label, but it went via Fed Ex there and back to me directly (adult signature when delivered to my house). I had to take the box to the Fed Ex location at 7105 W Morris St on the West side of Indy.
    The manufacturer won't pay shipping because it was manufactured in 2012. :dunno: Makes no sense to me.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    I an ffl, bgf. To send a handgun to a ffl in Florida. I think totaltotal out of pocket was $40. They packaged it all up and i brought it to the post office down tbe block

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm going to soothe my CDO* and assume you all mean "Federal Firearm Licensee" and not the more common notion of "Federal Firearm License"...

According to USPS rules someone holding an FLL01, 02, 07 or 08 may send and receive any handgun, but FFL03 holders may only mail (and also receive) C&R handguns.

So, yes, find a dealer willing to mail it out. USPS Priority Mail is the most economical.

* OCD in the correct order.

Last edited:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I'm going to soothe my COD* and assume you all mean "Federal Firearm Licensee" and not the more common notion of "Federal Firearm License"...

According to USPS rules someone holding an FLL01, 02, 07 or 08 may send and receive any handgun, but FFL03 holders may only mail (and also receive) C&R handguns.

So, yes, find a dealer willing to mail it out. USPS Priority Mail is the most economical.

* OCD in the correct order.

I'm going to assume you mean CDO and not cash on delivery.

johnp034

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Michigan
    i believe it is ok for a non-licensee to shhip a firearm back to the manufacture for repair direct without going through an FFL. Also, I think you can send it 2nd day air, they changed that rule several years ago.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i believe it is ok for a non-licensee to shhip a firearm back to the manufacture for repair direct without going through an FFL. Also, I think you can send it 2nd day air, they changed that rule several years ago.

Yes, a non-licensee may use UPS or FedEx. (that's been covered)

According the UPS web pages:
    Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air[SUP]®[/SUP] Early, UPS Next Day Air[SUP]®[/SUP], and UPS Next Day Air Saver[SUP]®[/SUP]. (Note: UPS Express Critical™ Service is not available for firearms).

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    According to the law, they don't have to go next day or second day. That is company policy for ups and fedex.

It's a way for them to make more money. Period. Because there isn't any competition and they have you over a barrel.

The next/day second day thing probably started when ups started electronically tracking those packages and there is less chance of theft and greater chance to find out where the gun ended up.

Nowadays every package is tracked and they could easily do away with the policy.

Top Bottom