• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBultra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    I have two residences in Indiana, can I ship a firearm via UPS to myself? I know that handguns are not mailable via USPS? Anyone who knows the prices of this, other information would be highly appreciated.

PS. I dug this up from the ATF website but I'm still a little unsure.
    (B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    can I ship a firearm via UPS to myself?

Yes, provided nobody else at the destination opens the package.

to transport it to the UPS store

I would use a UPS hub if at all possible; a lot of the privately run retail outlets refuse to ship firearms at all.

Anyone who knows the prices of this, other information would be highly appreciated.

Handguns must be shipped next-day; use the cheapest option (Next Day Saver; gets it there by end of business), but you're still going to pay pretty handsomely.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Just put it in a case in your trunk and go where you want. No one is going to bother you about it. You are going from one residence that you own to another you own.

It will be stupid expensive to ship.

Buckaroo

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Just put it in a case in your trunk and go where you want. No one is going to bother you about it.

Until he gets pulled over...:dunno:

And while the likelihood of that happening is pretty low unless he does something stupid, transporting a firearm without a LTCH IS against the law, and I wouldn't want to recommend anything illegal on an open forum.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    How far away from our routes have we gone that U.S. citizen can't package his firearm after completely disassembling it, place in a compartment inaccessible from the inside, then transport without breaking the law, unless they purchase small card for a couple hundred bucks and having a background check ran with a waiting period.

At the foundation of this country man woman and child used firearms in their daily agendas. SHEEESH

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    When all said and done, it would be cheaper to sell the gun, and buy a new at you final destination!

Unless he bought a real cheap gun, or plans to ship it between residences on a weekly basis, I don't think that would be the case.

That said, it is a perfect excuse to buy another gun... :)

An acquaintance of mine maintains dual residency in OH and AZ; he has duplicated ALL his guns at both places. But then, he did the same thing with his cars, too! :eek: "More money than sense" comes to mind...

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    OK, I really hate to rehash old threads, but I guess here is what I would like to know, what constitutes a handgun. OK, now let me clarify myself on this, I know what a handgun is, BUT, if I were to break the pistol down into the frame, barrel, slide, and slide spring, and slide lock, what part would constitute the handgun? If all the parts are in separate containers, or even separate vehicles, the barrel is in one vehicle, the frame is in another and the other parts are locked SEPARATELY in another vehicle, then which vehicle would have the handgun? I assume the vehicle that had the frame, because that is the part that is considered the handgun. Now this is a moot point, as I have a LTCH, BUT it is something that we may want to discuss. I am not at all advocating carrying a handgun WITHOUT a LTCH.

INGunGuy

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    OK, I really hate to rehash old threads, but I guess here is what I would like to know, what constitutes a handgun. OK, now let me clarify myself on this, I know what a handgun is, BUT, if I were to break the pistol down into the frame, barrel, slide, and slide spring, and slide lock, what part would constitute the handgun? If all the parts are in separate containers, or even separate vehicles, the barrel is in one vehicle, the frame is in another and the other parts are locked SEPARATELY in another vehicle, then which vehicle would have the handgun? I assume the vehicle that had the frame, because that is the part that is considered the handgun. Now this is a moot point, as I have a LTCH, BUT it is something that we may want to discuss. I am not at all advocating carrying a handgun WITHOUT a LTCH.

INGunGuy

What about if the frame was completely disassembled from the trigger group, sear, etc, would that still constitute a handgun? the frame would be in no way able to be assembled into a working handgun without extensive amount of time to get it back together...

INGunGuy

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    According to the ATF, the frame of the handgun (in most cases) is the handgun, even if it is stripped.

That is was I figured, and like I said for me it is a moot point, but I figured if someone hadnt asked in the past it may be a good topic of discussion. I guess the same holds true about a AR-15 lower, since you can build that into both a rifle and a pistol, they cant be sold to someone under 21.

INGunGuy

Top Bottom