• ...and so much more!
  • Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Shivworks- Extreme Close Quarters Concepts 12/2/2016-12/5/2016

This is a course review for Extreme Close Quarter Concepts taught by Craig Douglas of Shivworks. This course was taught from 12/2/2016 to 12/5/2016 and was hosted by Tactical Response in Camden, TN. Gear used during this course was a Glock 19, NSR LLC-4 holster, SOE belt, and 5.11 BDU pants.

I was excited to take Extreme Close Quarters Concepts (ECQC) and have been looking forward to it all of 2016. It was my last training course of 2016, and I was excited to cap off a year of good training with subject matter that was relatively new to me. ECQC aims to bridge that gap between a gunfight and a grappling encounter.

I found myself soaking up all of the information during this class. While there was some material I was familiar with, most of the grappling and ground fighting with a gun was either completely new to me, or something that I had limited exposure to. At the end of day two and day three, Craig had the students go through “evolutions” to practice some of the techniques that were taught that day. All of these “evolutions” were ground fighting-based, and they also involved a simunition gun. The students wore padded helmets and light to medium striking was encouraged. A common misconception for those who carry a gun is that they will just pull out the gun during a ground fight and that will end the situation. Until you take a course like this, you have little idea how difficult it is to draw your gun with someone on top of you, much less make accurate hits. Position has to be established before the gun can come out of the holster. Several students learned this the hard way.

Other lessons learned during this course:
    -Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is an excellent martial art to learn how to get the better position on the ground. If you can get the better position, you can get the better shot.
    -During a grappling fight for a gun, it is almost guaranteed that you will experience a malfunction after the first shot. Knowing how to clear a malfunction one handed is critical.
    -Carrying a fixed blade-fighting knife is mandatory. Most students had no idea they were being stabbed as their focus was on the gun.

This class was an ego killer--train your weaknesses! During this class, some students realized they are not in good enough physical condition to survive a violent encounter. Other students realized they are comfortable on the ground, or they freak out when someone else is on top of them. Regardless of what your weaknesses are, ECQC offers something for everyone. I think it is safe to say that everyone went home on Sunday night knowing how to better train.

Take this course.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Good review. I need to write an AAR for ECQC soon. What were the biggest realizations and lessons for you personally?

Good question. I would have to say it is two things. First, it was the realization of getting the better position before you even think about pulling out your gun. Previous to this class, I thought if I was on the ground, I would just pull my gun out and solve the problem. Now I have seen firsthand that if I get the gun out when im in an inferior position, it will most likely get taken from me. If I work on putting myself in a dominant position before going for the gun, the results are much better.

Secondly, and along with the first point, has to do with martial arts training. I am 31 years old and I went the past 30 years of my life without ever getting any formal martial arts training. About 8 months ago I started training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I have really enjoyed it. During the first night evolution my opponent was a guy who had been training Kempo Karate for the past 30 years and was a 4 dan blackbelt. We started on the ground, and during both evolutions I was able to sweep him, put myself in a dominant position, and then shoot him as much as I wanted to. He has been training Karate for as long as I have been alive-and I controlled him during the entire fight. Had that been a real fight, with real guns, he would have died and I would have lived.
    I'm not trying to downplay other martial arts, but I realized that a martial art like BJJ has immediate benefits. There were a few other people in the class who had some exposure to BJJ and you could tell by watching them fight. There were Karate, Judo, Taekwando, and Hapkido martial arts guys-and the BJJ guys destroyed them.

Also a side note-if you are fat and out of shape, you wont last long in a fight. Several people in the class experienced this first hand. You can be the fastest most accurate shooter in the world, but if you can't last 30 seconds in a ground fight, your shooting skills dont mean anything.

Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    I took ECQC for the first time a few weeks back when he was in Indiana. I had an awesome time, and saw a lot of the same things you did. Thanks for the AAR!

Top Bottom