• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Never had this happen with a beer. Then just had two in a row. My wife noticed it when she took a drink from the sharp edge. Anyone else ever have that Happen with a bottle?

920AAB13-C40A-48DB-A2E2-FBE4F722C8C5-1647-000001319E7D990A_zpsbf7b9572.jpg

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I don't drink alcohol, but I've had it happen a few times with specialty sodas. I wouldn't necessarily blame it on the brand.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've had that happen once before with Budweiser and one other time with Sam Adam's. The weird part was with the Bud... they are just twist offs that you can use your hand and I had the top shatter in my hand. I got a free 24 pack from Anheuser Busch out of that one.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That is what can happen when you use a bottle opener on twist offs. :ugh:

I think what happens is the edge of the opener can snag the glass threads and you pry off part of the glass with the cap.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

I think what happens is the edge of the opener can snag the glass threads and you pry off part of the glass with the cap.
    This.

It happens frequently if you use a bottle opener (especially the kind pictured) on twist offs.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Huh, that was a twist off? I don't typically drink it and assumed it was not. Hrm...
    Yep. Threads are clearly visible in your pic.

At the restaurant I managed, it was policy for the bartenders to use bottle openers even for twist offs so they didn't touch the mouths of the bottles. They were encouraged to use these:

bottle-opener.jpg

As they were less likely to do what yours did.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

A couple of bars I use to frequent didn't allow bottle openers on anything with a twist off for that reason. Instead, they spent more money on gloves and rubber grip pads for the bar tenders. The only bottles I've seen break like that at parties have been with bottle openers or bottles with damaged caps.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Yep. Threads are clearly visible in your pic.

At the restaurant I managed, it was policy for the bartenders to use bottle openers even for twist offs so they didn't touch the mouths of the bottles. They were encouraged to use these:

bottle-opener.jpg

As they were less likely to do what yours did.

This.

That's the only kind of opener I've ever seen a bartender use.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I've had that happen once before with Budweiser and one other time with Sam Adam's. The weird part was with the Bud... they are just twist offs that you can use your hand and I had the top shatter in my hand. I got a free 24 pack from Anheuser Busch out of that one.

That happened to me with a Budweiser once. It just crumbled in my hand as I tried to twist off the cap... I didn't get a free 24 pack though :( I guess I should have told Anheuser Busch about it...

And I was going to buy some of that this evening, decided to try some Michelob Amber Bock instead......................umum..good. :cheers:

One of my favorites. Good choice :cheers:

Top Bottom