• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    So, I got my first 1911, a Wilson CQB Elite 45, a few months ago. I had a few problems with it here or there returning to battery. I posted a thread on this soon after I got it, but I didn't know exactly what was going on at that time. Now I do.

I found that the shok buff was being shredded every few hundred rounds. I bought more and was changing them relatively frequently at first, basically every time I cleaned it, so the effects were minimal. What finally obviated the problem was that it started to get sluggish returning to battery and then LOCKED UP TIGHT on me at the range one day. I disassembled it and found the shok buff shredded and wedged in tight enought to seize up the slide. It had sorta bulged out beyond the edges of the guide rod. My ammunition after my first outing had all been Federal American Eagle or my handloads, which are relatively weak at 750 FPS. I could see more problems if I were shooting +p or something of the like, but..?

I checked my recoil spring and it was a bit shorter than my replacement, but at that point I had already been through 8 shok buffs. I decided to try a flat wire spring in 17# from wilson. I even bought a 20# in case I still had trouble. Cleaned the gun and installed it. My shok buff made it about 150 rounds, on the 17#, and it was torn up and the slide was failing to return to battery?!?!

I called Wilson. The gun was assembled in January this year. I was told that some guns will shred up the shok buffs and will need to have that area of the slide polished to correct it. I could return it and they would do it at no charge, "but it would also require that they refinish the slide too." It was further explained that the shok buff is NOT necessary and that not using it would not effect my warranty in any way. I am thinking... Why factory install them then?

I haven't shot it yet, but I didn't want to be without my 1911, so I am opting to do without the shok buffs for now. I assume that the turn around on that job takes me out of commission for a few months and I'll need another 1911! I would like it if I could use them. My other thought, not to cheat the system is.... I'll shoot it a few more months and if I get an idiot scratch on it or something in that time, I'll send it back and ask them to make the adjustments, which would kill 2 birds with one stone.

What's everyone's opinions on the Shok Buff? Should I care?

dibdee83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    indiana
    Ive never used a shok buffer on any of my 1911s but did on glock and didn't have any issues at all. Im not sure if buffers positives are worth the negative on defensive guns but on range guns have at it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I ran shok buffs a long time ago, and also had a few shred. I gave up on them maybe 25 years ago. I am familiar enough with the 1911 chassis, that I can feel if I am having recoil spring trouble. Switching between light wad cutter ammo and full power or +P ammo is where a shok buff is supposed to afford some protection. I have a roll pouch of recoil springs and quickly change the spring to the proper value. 13lb for soft, light bullet wadcutter loads. 15 or 16 lb for 230 grain full power ammo, 17 lb for +P are pretty good spring values for a full sized steel 1911 chassis. I have never battered up a frame on a steel 1911. If you don't experiment with really hot or really soft loads, a 15 or 16 lb spring will protect the pistol and function well, even with no little rubber shok buff.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wilson will fix the gun and return promptly.

You do not need to run a shock buff. You can run an 18.5 lb recoil spring if it bothers you.

The 17 lb flatwire spring will work fine with your CQB. You will need to replace the guide rod with one made for the flatwire spring.

FYI I run a shock buff and 17 lb spring in my Wilson with zero problems.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Wilson will fix the gun and return promptly.

You do not need to run a shock buff. You can run an 18.5 lb recoil spring if it bothers you.

The 17 lb flatwire spring will work fine with your CQB. You will need to replace the guide rod with one made for the flatwire spring.

FYI I run a shock buff and 17 lb spring in my Wilson with zero problems.

I want to run one. This isn't my HD or SD gun, so I am not worried about ultimate reliability.

I bought the flat wire guide rod and both the 17 and 20 flat wire recoil springs. I was running the 17 flat wire setup when the last shok buff died after a pretty low round count. I need to just call Wilson again and ask them what they think turn around time would be on it.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    What benefit is the shok buff? I have yet to see anything that extolls the virtues of it, except for the WC website. If all it does is gum up the works in short time I'd ditch it.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I run Shok-Buffs in my D&L Sports 5". It has a full length guide rod, and I use 18# recoil springs. I have had only one shred, and that was from neglect during inspection. I have had the pistol 10+ years.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I don't have a 1911, but I've been using a Shok-Buf at all times in my S&W 1006 (third generation 10mm Auto) for well over twenty years straight now.
    I have to replace it about every 300-500 rounds or so, just as the manufacturer suggests, but I find that it slightly softens felt recoil, along with (of course) cushioning the slide/receiver impact.
    I've never had an issue, and the buffers don't seem to wear out inordinately quickly, even though I run nothing but full house (no FBI loads!) handloads out of it.

Top Bottom