• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    Went out Wednesday with a couple of friends shooting, and I have a few questions regarding proper hold,and sights.

We were shooting from about 20 yards and the best I could group was about 7 inches. Is this acceptable or average shooting? I am fairly positive that the gun is quite capable of producing better groups, but after 250 rounds and constant adjusting trying for better shots I decided to call it a day and start asking for advice.
    Now my 22 is bone stock and the only thing I am positive about is that the factory sights have to go. I have asked this once in an old post already, but I would once again like some opinions on some of the better sights out there.

Also, some advice or link to some good reading on proper hold would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Ray.

Glennster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Glock's are very good, accurate pistols. The stock triggers are long, heavy and difficult to master in the short term.
    Thumbs should not be part of your grip, your pinkies should not be doing much either.
    Are you shooting with 1 or 2 hands?

34oSc

Ray, let me ask you this...how's the group size with other pistols you shoot?
    Also, what kind of ammo were you using? Sometimes that 40 cal stuff is quirky about grouping...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also keep in mind that if you were shooting at 20 yards... That's 60 feet.

A LONG way to be shooting handguns.

Next time... Try 7-10 yards. That's "most handgun usage in self-defense" range.

-J-

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    supported or no?

Stock sights from the sounds of it, and that's a reasonable grouping at that distance.

Many of us who compete with Glock swap out sights for one with a smaller fiber optic front pin.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I have to make a conscious effort only grip with the two contacting fingers in between the trigger and pinky finger. My pinky, I have to allow very minimal contact. I've was shown this last year and this greatly increased accuracy and recoil control.

It works for me also on XDs, my Kahr; any polymer framed pistol really, for me.

Allow the support hand to squeeze and compress the strong hand, thumbs forward.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    i've had the pinkie finger issue also. i shoot my 26 with 10 rounders better than with extended mags, or a 19. don't mean to hi-jack the thread, (but this may be helping the OP too), but is it advisable that someone who is having handgun accuracy problems try shooting totally without the pinkie finger?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Try different ammo. Some guns are very picky. Also most defensive shots are 8-12 feet. Try if you can and fire from that distance. Still 4" group from twenty yards is good. That's all center mass shots. Practice trigger control. Take a spent casing, or a penny and place it on top of the slide. Pull the trigger without knocking either off the slide. It's good practice, for trigger control. As for sites, I personaly have no problem with factory sites. If you do want to swtich them out, I suggest truglo. :twocents:

Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    I was shooting with both hands and with just one...and get this, I was more accurate while shooting with one hand! that I cannot figure out.

The only pistols I can compare my Glock with and be fair due to frequency of use would be a SA 1911 A-1 also with not so great sights:about same to be honest, and my trusty Astra A-100, which I am not scared at all to toot my own horn over the groups in can squeeze out of that beauty!!!about 3 to 4 inches at 25 yards. with proof and signature from range master. Really I do not know if that is awesome shooting, but I was impressed and that's all that counts right? heh.

The ammo I used shooting that day was WWB along with Winchester SXZ....
    I really could not see a difference between the two, maybe that is a hint I need more practice...

and all shooting was done unsupported....

thank you all for responses, looking forward to some more advice!!

again thanks,
    Ray.

Last edited:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    You can nit-pick, and second guess yourself all you want... but a 7" grouping on center mass will still keep all round in vitals; not to mention that 20 yards distance is moving towards the periphery of self-defense shooting.

This isn't the movies. Your doing just fine. If it were me, now that you have an acceptable grouping, I would work on drawing and reloading speed. Remember: you goal isn't to print a nice grouping. Your goal is to shoot your opponent to the ground as quickly as possible.

Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    I totally agree that those groups are fine for self defense, and 20 yds is stretching it.......I can see how it seems I am being to critical...

I was testing it's accuracy, but I guess I ended up testing mine......

Thanks all,
    Ray.

Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you have the money try a laser sight and if you get better and consistant groupings then its just your method of shooting. For me I try to control the trigger pull and that was the trick for me. I chose not to swap for aftermarket triggers and just learned to adjust to it.

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    Work on "trigger reset". That is after firing a shot, only let the trigger move forward enough to reset. You can practice this dry firing, but you'll have to hold the trigger back while you cycle the slide. This will reduce trigger pull and movement between shots. Less movement ='s better accuracy.

Top Bottom