• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just got back from a trip to Martinsville with indy1919a4 to try out their shotgun range. Had a great time, but man is my shoulder sore! People complain about Mosins kicking but I can shoot Mosins and Mausers all day with no ill effects. 50 rounds of 12 gauge just beat the tar out of me though! :): Took a 20 gauge too so I could "rest" in between rounds with the 12's. Well worth the pain though. Hadn't shot clays in a long time and it was a beautiful day for it. :D

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I shot 100 clays this past Friday evening with a buddy from church. It had been awhile for me too. My shoulder had petechia all over

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    i love clays - most ive done is 250. left me a tad bit sore, but nothing crazy.

I'm sure I could have managed more, but I only brought two boxes of 12 with me (and the grass mowing guy showed up and we didn't want to make him wait). I need to do something different with my Ithaca Model 37 Featherlite. I put on a slip-on Limbsaver recoil pad, but it really doesn't fit all that well, and makes the length of pull a little long for me. Might have to look into a more permanent solution. Also had my dad's old Stevens double barrel. It didn't kick nearly as much as the Ithaca. Oh and I was also able to introduce indy1919a4 to the joys of slam-firing the Ithaca... :)

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Just got back from a trip to Martinsville with indy1919a4 to try out their shotgun range. Had a great time, but man is my shoulder sore! People complain about Mosins kicking but I can shoot Mosins and Mausers all day with no ill effects. 50 rounds of 12 gauge just beat the tar out of me though! :): Took a 20 gauge too so I could "rest" in between rounds with the 12's. Well worth the pain though. Hadn't shot clays in a long time and it was a beautiful day for it. :D

DoggyDaddy:

Regarding your recoil "problem." First, if you're shooting a single barrel field grade Ithaca Model 37 you should expect the problem to continue. The stock on any field grade gun is generally not conducive to minimizes recoil. You should consider, at the minimum, trying to shoot a "lighter" shell. I am assuming you are purchasing field type shells of at least 2 3/4 dram equivalent with 1 1/8 oz of lead and probably moving at over 1200 feet per seond. If so, those shells will have a pretty severe affect. If you reload you can tailor your shells to be more recoil friendly. i.e. load them down to an ounce instead of an ounce and an eighth. There is also a variation in powders that can produe a softer felt recoil.

A Limbsaver or similar recoil pad could be helpful - but you might have to cut the stock and then install the pad to retain the same overall length of pull.

My suggestion, if within your budget, would be to find a good used Remington 1100 or a Beretta 390 or 391. I would recommend the Remington. If you take your time you should be able to find one for around $500-$750. It might have a little wear on it at that price - but it will still shoot just as well as a new one.

As you mentioned, shooting a 20 ga. could also resolve part of the problem. Keep in mind that besides the type of gun ( single barrel, auto loader, over/under, side by side, etc ) one of the important aspects is stock fit. If the stock doesn't fit you properly it will kick the snot out of you and cause a number of problems to include flinching and raising your head - both of which are tough problems to cure once you acquire the bad habit. There are a lot of trap and sporting clays shooters that shoot several hundred rounds a day without being adversely affected by recoil. A combination of good stock fit, light loads, proper form, and low recoil guns enable them to do shoot that much each day without ill affect.

Good luck with your new gun hobby.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    DoggyDaddy:

Regarding your recoil "problem." First, if you're shooting a single barrel field grade Ithaca Model 37 you should expect the problem to continue. The stock on any field grade gun is generally not conducive to minimizes recoil. You should consider, at the minimum, trying to shoot a "lighter" shell. I am assuming you are purchasing field type shells of at least 2 3/4 dram equivalent with 1 1/8 oz of lead and probably moving at over 1200 feet per seond. If so, those shells will have a pretty severe affect. If you reload you can tailor your shells to be more recoil friendly. i.e. load them down to an ounce instead of an ounce and an eighth. There is also a variation in powders that can produe a softer felt recoil.

A Limbsaver or similar recoil pad could be helpful - but you might have to cut the stock and then install the pad to retain the same overall length of pull.

My suggestion, if within your budget, would be to find a good used Remington 1100 or a Beretta 390 or 391. I would recommend the Remington. If you take your time you should be able to find one for around $500-$750. It might have a little wear on it at that price - but it will still shoot just as well as a new one.

As you mentioned, shooting a 20 ga. could also resolve part of the problem. Keep in mind that besides the type of gun ( single barrel, auto loader, over/under, side by side, etc ) one of the important aspects is stock fit. If the stock doesn't fit you properly it will kick the snot out of you and cause a number of problems to include flinching and raising your head - both of which are tough problems to cure once you acquire the bad habit. There are a lot of trap and sporting clays shooters that shoot several hundred rounds a day without being adversely affected by recoil. A combination of good stock fit, light loads, proper form, and low recoil guns enable them to do shoot that much each day without ill affect.

Good luck with your new gun hobby.

Thanks for the input! It is indeed a field grade Model 37 and I have the Limbsaver on it, which did help tame it down somewhat from the stock butt plate. I'm no serious clay shooter, so not looking for a gun for that purpose. This gun is exactly like the one I had as a teenager. Funny how a 16 year old body can take a lot more punishment than a 54 year old one! :): I think I would like to find a permanently installed recoil pad, but then I'm still going to have the length of pull issue unless I cut the stock down. As a matter of fact, the one I had as a kid did have the stock cut down (not by me) and I put a recoil pad on it, but had to do some trimming of the pad, which didn't look all that great, but did work quite well. I was using light loads (1 oz. of 7 1/2 shot) - some cheap "Suprema" ammo from Walmart - so I don't think the ammo is the problem, but the length of pull issue could very well be.

My little 20 gauge (NEF/HR pump - "Wild Turkey Association" model is just a pleasure to shoot. Has a short 26" barrel (maybe 24"?) and I was using a modified choke tube. It was just as effective as the 12's, and the lessened recoil probably helped with my accuracy with it.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Love shooting clays! We have a couple throwers and get everybody together about 4 times a year. Good times and not too expensive if several people come. :) I use a variety of pumps and a semi auto Remington. Both styles are fun and it's one of my favorite shooting activities.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well Doggy if you ever want to bust some birds out of Canada, look me up, I'm sure we can drag our hommie Rick out for it.

I'd love to plan a shooting session with you guys sometime when I'm not just "passng through" on the way to or from Louisville or Knob Creek. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Love shooting clays! We have a couple throwers and get everybody together about 4 times a year. Good times and not too expensive if several people come. :) I use a variety of pumps and a semi auto Remington. Both styles are fun and it's one of my favorite shooting activities.

It IS a lot of fun, especially when you "powder" a clay. :rockwoot: I've never even shot a semi-auto shotgun. Wouldn't mind adding one to my collection someday.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you are going to spend a LOT of time shooting clay targets, you need to get properly set up. If your gun is making you sore, "toughing it out" will only make you crippled faster as you age. That physical damage will accumulate over the years.

I am a believer in a proper target shotgun that is fitted to you with an energy absorbing stock. I played with the mercury recoil reducers, added weights, softer butt pads, etc. and they all help some. The fact still remains, if the stock does not fit your build it will beat you up.

Once the gun fits you, a recoil absorbing stock is the most effective way to make a 200 bird day not hurt. My first one was a Clyde Slide system that worked really well. It was a long travel spring system. The next one is a Ken Rucker "bump Buster". It is a short travel spring system with an adjustable hydraulic dampner. It is really sweet. Two hundred shots of full load 12 gauge with no soreness at all.

There are other companies like Gray coil, Counter coil, Precision fit stocks, and probably a dozen others who use air cylinders, hydraulics, springs, and combinations. I know it seems expensive, but what will the Dr. charge you to rework your rotor cuff or how much does he charge for cortizone injections for the rest of your life? That makes $200 to have your stock refit and $600 for a recoil system seem really cheap.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Leo, just speaking for myself, I'm not planning on shooting a lot with my shotguns (more of a rifle guy), so I'm just using the ones I have on hand and probably won't ever shoot clays more than a couple times a year. If I were going to get seriously into it though, your suggestions would make sense. I don't think I sustained any appreciable damage to my shoulder other than a little bit of bruising on the surface. I could see how shooting a couple hundred rounds once a week or more could definitely take its toll on you with an ill-fitting gun though.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    the more you shoot, the better your shoulder can take it, the first time went, i thought thats it never again...but later i was like "that all you got!"

if you dont plan on getting a trap,skeet or clay's set up, try one of these
    Shooter's Friend Welcome!Home
    ugly as sin, but the best recoil pad you'll ever buy, you can thank me later!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    the more you shoot, the better your shoulder can take it, the first time went, i thought thats it never again...but later i was like "that all you got!"

if you dont plan on getting a trap,skeet or clay's set up, try one of these
    Shooter's Friend Welcome!Home
    ugly as sin, but the best recoil pad you'll ever buy, you can thank me later!

Any trouble with it shifting around? I kept having to readjust the Limbsaver on my Ithaca. It seems like it should slide further up onto the stock. Other than that it seems very similar to that one in your link.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Any trouble with it shifting around? I kept having to readjust the Limbsaver on my Ithaca. It seems like it should slide further up onto the stock. Other than that it seems very similar to that one in your link.

shouldnt, its a semi sticky gel, its made in evansville by a company that makes custom orthopedics for shoes, its the same gel,should be about $25.00 ive sold quite a few to people buying mosin 91/30's to help "tame the beast"

plus it's easy on easy off, so you can move it to other guns if you need to

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    shouldnt, its a semi sticky gel, its made in evansville by a company that makes custom orthopedics for shoes, its the same gel,should be about $25.00 ive sold quite a few to people buying mosin 91/30's to help "tame the beast"

plus it's easy on easy off, so you can move it to other guns if you need to

I bookmarked the site and may give it a try. Another idea I'm entertaining is to find another Ithaca stock with the recoil pad installed and just switching mine out. Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom