• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    So, Ive been attempting to practice with my 45s and 380s. There is an issue I am having and much moreso with the 45s. With the 380s, I have a group center in the target of about 5 inches or so from about 10-12 yards (S&W Bodyguard 380). This is 50 rounds in that 5" area with 2 strays. Im not an excellent shooter, so ill take it, lol.

The issue I am having is with my 45s. I am center but about 3-4 inches left.
    They are in a 4" or less group from 15-20 yards but all but 4 were left. 2 were dead center and I had 2 strays but on the target.

Im not a professional by any means but what am I doing that is causing this. Like I said, its a consistent group, but left. Any advise from you proficient shooter would be great. I could sure use some help.

Thanks Nick:alright:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well, it's not the most likely explanation, but if your group is good it is possible you actually do have that most unicorn of cases; your sights are off. Another explanations, and usually more likely if you are right handed, is that you are pushing the trigger a bit on the 1911 instead of having a straight back press. If they were low and left it might be that you are anticipating the recoil and pushing the whole gun...

Do a search for "target chart" and you can check your grouping against it for some other possibilities.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    Alright .... Thanks for the pointer. I mean I am between 2 inches above to 2 inches below center. But the center point it close to the center line, just far left. I will check out the chart and see if I cant finger it out.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Just tossing this out there. Have you confirmed eye dominance? If you are lefty but right eye dominant you would tend to shoot left of target unless you adjusted.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Right handed? If so press the trigger straight back instead of slightly across and it will be fine. Sometimes a little deeper with the trigger finger will fix this.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Target analysis.

Right handed? If so press the trigger straight back instead of slightly across and it will be fine. Sometimes a little deeper with the trigger finger will fix this.

What Coach says. And here is a target chart.

Analysistarget.jpg

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You don't like the recoil of the 45, do you? be honest with yourself...

Call your shots. If you cannot call your shots, you are closing your eyes in anticipation of recoil as you squeeze the trigger.

In order to zero your firearm, you have to be able to call your shots.

Dry fire practice at home will help to develop this skill.

There are trainers on this website than can help you and teach you how to call your shot.

Good luck.

Last edited:

sant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Look up the bump drill on you tube or on micheal banes site. Extremely helpful. Assuming your sights arn't off.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There is also an element called "natural point of aim" That is the place where your normal body position will not try to pull left or right during recoil management. Precision rifle shooters find the neutral point all the time. That is why you see them moving their feet around during prep time. Next time you shoot, rotate your body a few degrees to the right (move only one foot, maybe an inch or two)

Dry firing in front of a mirror is a great tool. Get some snap caps. Put a small dot of tape on the mirror, make a perfect sight picture, and fire, watching for movement. You will clearly see where (and when) you are drifting. Good Luck

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I was shooting left with my smalller 9mm's.
    My Kahr PM9 and my KelTec PF9.
    Since they were BOTH shooting left, I figured it was me and not the gun.
    After some trial and error, I finally moved my trigger finger from the center of the pad to closer to the joint and it corrected itself.
    On both guns.
    There is a lot to be said for natural point of aim and proper grip.
    You have to work out your own grip and then be able to make it repetitive.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The recoil issue is a big factor going from a .380 to a .45
    My daughter had near the same thing with her shooting my 1911's stepping up from the .380 browning she had been firing since 12 years old. 25 now and was wanting a big boy gun. I videoed her at the range and found she was flinching at point of trigger pull anticipating the recoil of a stainless 1911. After that was corrected (150 rds.) she had the trigger finger position to work out. Now she drives tacks with the .45 and I may never get that gun back. Tough being a dad.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    You might want to have someone else load your mag and put an inert round in every so often. Empty cases work in my Colt. You can spot flinching/pulling yourself when you drop hammer on the dud.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    You don't like the recoil of the 45, do you? be honest with yourself...

Call your shots. If you cannot call your shots, you are closing your eyes in anticipation of recoil as you squeeze the trigger.

In order to zero your firearm, you have to be able to call your shots.

Dry fire practice at home will help to develop this skill.

There are trainers on this website than can help you and teach you how to call your shot.

Good luck.

I dont think it has anything to do with the recoil. I have no problem with my M&P45c.

Last edited:

dashby115

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Greenwood
    I had the same issue when I first started shooting my 1911 ...ended up being in the way i was pushing the trigger instead of squeezing it

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    OK, you have no problem with recoil. got it. No problem. As for me, after shooting 38's and 9mm's extensively, the recoil of the 45 is a surprise after a long lay off. I really have to work to avoid flinching until I get back in the groove.

Where is the front sight when the hammer drops? If it is centered and the shot goes left, adjust the sight.

If the front sight is to the left when the hammer drops and the shot goes left, then stop doing whatever you are doing to drive the shot left.

This is what it means to "call the shot".

Dryfire practice is cheap. I dry fire a revolver and a semi-auto pistol almost very evening a few dozen times.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom