• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Huh. That article said it HAS been closed for about a year..... I was there in November and there were a couple others there as well. I also just went there with my wife this Monday for a couple hours. There are no signs posted anywhere saying that it is closed (i did not look at a check in station though)nd there are very obvious signs of it being used. Never crossed my mind that it wasn't open anymore. Another car pulled up as we left. The shooting benches were no longer there this time though.

Last edited:

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    From my experience, once these ranges close, they almost never "reopen". I've seen this happen to 3 different ranges around my area in the last 15 years. First they'll come at you with noise. If that fails they'll hit you with safety. Last, but never least they will start in with lead contamination. I've yet to see a range withstand this type of triple onslaught and survive. Most ranges operate on a shoe string budget, and cannot fight these expensive legal battles brought on by cities, environmental groups, and homeowners associations.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    From my experience, once these ranges close, they almost never "reopen". I've seen this happen to 3 different ranges around my area in the last 15 years. First they'll come at you with noise. If that fails they'll hit you with safety. Last, but never least they will start in with lead contamination. I've yet to see a range withstand this type of triple onslaught and survive. Most ranges operate on a shoe string budget, and cannot fight these expensive legal battles brought on by cities, environmental groups, and homeowners associations.
    This one is State run, no HOA, no one really too near to gripe much! The only problem I have seen are the bubbas and dirtbags that come out and trash the place. I also don't like being there alone, it's in the middle of nowhere, a geographical oddity, two weeks from everywhere. Been out there before when the meth looking crowd showed up to shoot or steal firearms?

Last edited:

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    This one is State run, no HOA, no one really too near to gripe much! The only problem I have seen are the bun as and dirtbags that come out and trash the place. I also don't like being there alone, it's in the middle of nowhere, a geographical oddity, two weeks from everywhere. Been out there before when the meth looking crowd showed up to shoot or steal firearms?

Yeah, this one is off the beaten path. One has to drive down a washboard road, navigate between two strip pits that become one in heavy rains and watchout for cows that might be out while being serenaded by coyotes and hissed at by deer.

I noticed that the signs were down last year and was concerned that it might be closed even though at that time, the benches were still there.

I also liked catching bluegills, watching the beaver spank the water and being followed by snakes at the stick pond until that became off limits.

Where is a close alternative to shoot? While Riley sounds like a fine facility, I tend to like the informal atmosphere of a remote area with a good backstop.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    This one is State run, no HOA, no one really too near to gripe much! The only problem I have seen are the bun as and dirtbags that come out and trash the place. I also don't like being there alone, it's in the middle of nowhere, a geographical oddity, two weeks from everywhere. Been out there before when the meth looking crowd showed up to shoot or steal firearms?

Always keep your CCW on you...

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Due to the unsafe actions of several people I encountered there, the only time I tend to go there now is soon after sunrise when most other people are still in bed. Would rather drive the extra 20 miles to a safer location.

Top Bottom