• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    My local range/gun shop Dave's in Holland set this out today. Anyone else seeing these issues? This is why we can't have nice things!

Range Changes

"Due to continued excessive abuse of the facility combined with the skyrocketing cost of lumber, we can no longer offer singe-use range passes. We are currently only allowing annual range members to shoot. We hate this for those of you who have been respectful of the facility, but can no longer afford the maintenance cause by those who continue to shoot up the framing and tables."

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Does not surprise me either. The range I belong to has this issue as well. I do not understand how these morons can miss the huge space where their target is, but manage to hit the small space, where the frame is.

Reactions: Leo

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    A range membership at least gives you some kind of leverage you can use to compel halfway decent behavior. The worst you can do to a day passer is tell them not to come back after they've already paid and shot.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I see this all the time at my local range. I’ve actually had to leave on a couple of occasions due to unsafe practices and/or general recklessness (like getting swept by a loaded Redhawk). It’s a shame novice shooters ruin good things for the rest of us.

On the upside, at least they offer annual passes. There’s only one range relatively close to my house that sells annual passes and they’re quite expensive. Their employees are also complete a*******.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Does not surprise me either. The range I belong to has this issue as well. I do not understand how these morons can miss the huge space where their target is, but manage to hit the small space, where the frame is.
    You haven't seen enough bad shooters. It's not as if they're aiming for the sides; they're just missing the target. The lumber just happens to be in the way.

I shot with my cousin once at a range in TN. He was missing the target and consistently pinging a steel I-beam just to the left of where the target was hung. Scary stuff, considering we were about 15 yards away.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Doesn't surprise me a bit. I've seen a lot of scary stuff at the range. A lot of members ask why the range I belong to have what they consider to be some stupid rules. All I tell them is that the rules are made with the lowest common denominator of person in mind and there are a lot of stupid people in the world.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Anyone that has used a range will see just how many morons are there before them. MCF&G has uncounted holes in the deflection baffles because people are basically morons with no self control.
    So true. And that range is not necessarily the easiest or cheapest to join. You would think the people that do go thru the requirements and pay the fees take the mandatory training would exhibit more self control and proficiency. That said it is by far the best and safest range Marion County has to offer. IMHO

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Joined a range that is also part of a park , no kidding. The fee is $39 for the season and the distance to my house half that of the range I normally shoot at. But the gate to the park is always open so I'm sure non-members go out to shoot.

Had a guy start walking down range when I have a loaded 357 in my hands. No "I'm heading down" or "Can I get a cease fire?" I packed it up and left.

I was hanging targets at the 25 yard line recently and these guys start firing at 50 yards. These weren't young guys by any means either. I ended up having some choice words later.

Near the end of last year there was this very nice impact crater in the concrete that was not there the time before.

Anyway after this year I'm done there .

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    One of the most dangerous ranges I've ever belonged to was in Bloomington. Every member was had to complete RSO training as a requirement for membership and be approved by the board of directors. I've lost count of the times I was swept or saw someone down range with a hot line or people handling guns during a cease fire. You can't untrain stupid.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Anyone that has used a range will see just how many morons are there before them. MCF&G has uncounted holes in the deflection baffles because people are basically morons with no self control. Amazing.
    Blythe's range in Valparaiso has more strikes on the baffles, floor and walls than you would have time to count in your hour there. Granted it's been in business a long time but still, there is some bad shooting skill on display there.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    My local range/gun shop Dave's in Holland set this out today. Anyone else seeing these issues? This is why we can't have nice things!

Range Changes

"Due to continued excessive abuse of the facility combined with the skyrocketing cost of lumber, we can no longer offer singe-use range passes. We are currently only allowing annual range members to shoot. We hate this for those of you who have been respectful of the facility, but can no longer afford the maintenance cause by those who continue to shoot up the framing and tables."
    Yet lumber prices are crashing...

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    A young guy who I work with told me a few years ago that he bought a brand new budget AR-15 with no sights and took it to a range. He was a complete newbie and wasn't aware that you need sights or an optic and just started shooting. He said the range officer had to stop him because he was hitting everything but his target.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    As long as their memberships are not priced prohibitively this could be a good thing for you. I know it reduces some flexibility but it also hopefully self selects out some of the folks doing the damage.
    That is part of the reason I joined... Had enough of the indoor anyone with 20 bucks and a gun can stand 5ft from you and impress there girlfriend with a mag dump. I have seen some crazy things and been forced to leave early. I'm not some kind of snob but I have seen people hit the ceiling. Support posts. Fire 15 rounds as fast as they can and not even hit paper...

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That is part of the reason I joined... Had enough of the indoor anyone with 20 bucks and a gun can stand 5ft from you and impress there girlfriend with a mag dump. I have seen some crazy things and been forced to leave early. I'm not some kind of snob but I have seen people hit the ceiling. Support posts. Fire 15 rounds as fast as they can and not even hit paper...
    Yep, I'm a member of MCF&G as well. Very much like the facility. Wish it had more bays, but like that it's gated, etc.

I used to shoot at public ranges many years ago. These days they make me nervous.

At public ranges, you either have an RSO crawling all over everyone or you have folks floating around pointing weapons in all directions, etc.

I tend to stay away from public ranges.

Down in FL, my brother is a member of a range where only certain sections are open to day pass shooters, and most of the facility (including areas to shoot steel in bays, etc) is open only to members. That seems like an Ok solution for some places that want the revenue of day shooters, but also want to give the members their own space away from the day shooters.

Top Bottom