• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Last couple of times I went to Elwood Conservation Club, the ranges have been empty. Even on Saturday, no other shooters. The ammo shortage must really be having an impact.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would say weather and the ammo shortage is having an impact as well.
    Re-loaders were still going, that may have stopped or slowed as well due to primers and powder in short supply

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My club is still fairly active. More so than I would have thought this time of year. I go each Saturday or Sunday and only twice have I been out there where there wasn't anyone else. And I go early so I'm guessing later in the day when it warms a little folks are coming out.

During fall, I pretty much had to get there early to have a bay to myself. I have seen much more activity overall at my range since Covid/social unrest kicked in.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The indoor range I frequent during winter is about normal. It helps that they also buy/sell guns and are stocked with some ammo/accessories.
    I tend to stay away during super busy times, but from what I hear they aren't really slowing down at all for now.

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    I've gone to my nearby range at least 3 times in January and there were other customers using the range. Not many, but others for sure. Friday night my girlfriend, a friend, and myself went about 2 hours before they closed and we had 1 of 2 sides all to ourselves, but there were other shooters on the other half.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    A conservation club I am a member is about normal (considering winter is slower) but an local indoor range while it had slowed down a little has been pretty steady and increasing in use the last month or so .

And we are seeing pretty much full classes.

The main difference I have seen at the indoor range is instead of burning 2-400 rounds (average) a visit people (frequent visitors anyway) are burning 50-100 rounds a trip.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I have been to Highsmith in Greenfield a couple times lately and had the range to myself..I gotta say it was kind eerie.
    Then went on a Sunday and it was packed full...

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Buying and holding, buying and holding.

2021 is going to close up a lot of matches and clubs because nobody has anything to shoot.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I need to work on a new load due to having to change powders, but I'm loading for accuracy so there is no sense doing so in weather considerably colder than I shoot in. A number of folks might be in similar circumstances and will come out during the first days in the 50s

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I am going to the range far less than I would like to be sure. For the first time in my 57-year old life, I am actually conscious of how much ammo I am shooting and the cost of replacement. I remember with much fondness the years past where I actually shot more than 1000 rounds per week, but now those memories bring just as much angst as anything else.

If anyone thinks this ammunition condition will be over anytime soon, I believe they are horribly misguided.

Sadly, my annual membership to my local gun club is going to go mostly unused this year.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Could just be time of the year. I've been going to Antwerp in Ohio for a few years and the range is usually pretty empty most of the colder days in the winter. Seems like when it's below freezing most people don't go.
    I go there too, most I see is 3 or 4 people maybe.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I was at Atterbury on Saturday. Three shooters total, all rifle. It was a little chilly, though and the store front had a few shoppers when we checked out. Ammo shortage and weather are my guesses.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I need to work on a new load due to having to change powders, but I'm loading for accuracy so there is no sense doing so in weather considerably colder than I shoot in. A number of folks might be in similar circumstances and will come out during the first days in the 50s

The 2050's? When ammo comes back in stock? ;)

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Has anyone been to Bass and Bucks lately? I've been trying to find some time to get over there. As recent as fall 2020 the range was still pretty crowded, with the 100-yard lanes all taken. Usually I could find an open bench on the 200.

These days, I'd be a bit leery about leaving my station with guns/ammo/gear on the bench to walk down and change targets. More than once in the past, I'd be changing targets at the 200 or 300, only to look back and see some rubber necker taking a pretty close peek at my stuff.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom