• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I can't really add much more to what has been said here other than to add my voice to things listed. Everybody has had a 'first match' and I find actually attending your second match to be harder than the first, especially if it did not go as well as some had initially planned. I recommend to new shooters to only go as quickly as they can do so all while being mistake free. Competitive shooting isn't and shouldn't be a One and Done type of experience and looking at it as a perfect venue to shine a light on areas of your gun handling abilities that need work is probably the best way. It will be humbling, those first few matches, but not so much so that it should interfere with you enjoying yourself and looking at new gear, new training exercises and new friendships.

Remembering that it is a game, not tactical training, is also recommended. And as with all games there are some silly rules along with some wonderful ones so be prepared to find out that you do have to do a few things in a certain order or earn a penalty. It can be confusing, frustrating, expensive and infuriating but nothing that was easy was ever probably worth doing anyway. The competitive shooting sports are wonderful to be a part of, no matter which discipline you decide to pursue, just go and go and go again, help paste targets and reset the steel, leave your brass until the end of the match and try to find time to ask questions about everything you can! My only regret I have is not finding out about IDPA/USPSA sooner.

Rescue Loadmaster

Liberal Gun Owner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    Gibson County
    I host the steel match at South Central Gun Club in Freetown, IN. We encourage people new to competitive shooting to join us on the second Saturday of the month for our match. It's always five stages, approx 100 round count, and a safety conscience place to start. We would love to have you join us in October. I always post the details in the shooting sports thread the week before.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    What area are you in? If you are near NWI then send me a PM and you are welcome to come with me to a match.

Show ow up with an unloaded gun, 4 mags, a holster and a couple mag pouches and you will be fine. Tell the range staff that it's your first match and they will likely pair you with an experienced squad to help guide you through.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I host the steel match at South Central Gun Club in Freetown, IN. We encourage people new to competitive shooting to join us on the second Saturday of the month for our match. It's always five stages, approx 100 round count, and a safety conscience place to start. We would love to have you join us in October. I always post the details in the shooting sports thread the week before.

I just drove through Freetown last weekend. I vaguely recall hearing about a range there. So it's true, I could actually come and shoot within a reasonable distance from Bloomington? I'll go check out the website and maybe I can make it in October.

My wife is practically begging me to take a breather from our home remodel and do something else once in awhile. Steel match could definitely entice me to put down the hammer for a day.

ajm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    I live in the south central indiana. Would lke to shoot some events to see which is for me. I ll try to catch the Freetown shoot. I appreciate any info.

Top Bottom