Shopping Malls going the way of the dinosaur?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I've noticed in the last couple of years or so that shopping malls don't seem to be doing so well...a lot of the nicer chains moving out, places that would seem more at home in a flea market moving in...and not too many people to be seen!

Are shopping malls dying out? Back in the day, it seemed like the mall always had something going on, and there were lots of cool stores and stuff to buy. Now its just the big department stores, a couple of hold outs like Radio Shack, and a bunch of hippie "novelty" shops.

How's your mall doing? Maybe its just the places I've been living, but it seems like online shopping and "one stop" places like Walmart and Target are taking the place of going out to the mall....there's just not much worth buying there anymore.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    They're going thru a transformation and a thinning out period. Some stores will not survive this season. That will open up new opportunities for other endeavors.
    Or, the whole thing will hit the fan and be gone like the auto industry.:rolleyes:

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    The out dor shopping center things... IE Clay Terrace in Carmel and the new outdoor place in Noblesville seem to be doing well!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Many people shop from the comfort of their home via the internet. Why go out when you can push a couple of buttons, wait a couple of days and there it is on your doorstep.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    The Concord Mall in Elkhart has to be close to shutting its doors. There are several stores that have been empty for a long time. There was very little traffic during this busy holiday season so I expect even more to empty out soon. But they do still have the 3 anchor slots filled.

University Park in Mishawaka has all their spots full (or nearly so) and it was busy as heck this holiday season. They seem to be doing well.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I knew a guy who ran a coffe shop in one of the kiosks in the middle. His rent was over $2k a month I believe and that wasn't an actual store room. There were stipulations oin the contract that required him to be open every hour the mall was. Even during the late hours when the customer base didn't warrant him to be open. Every time you shop there, think about the ridiculous overhead you have to pay just so the store owner can make rent.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I've noticed that the outdoor setups do seem to be doing ok...maybe its just the malls I go to. There's one not too far from here, and its just a ghost town most of the time.

The same thing in Florida...back when I first moved to the area, the mall was always busy. Right before I left...it was dead. Hardly any traffic, and most of the good stores had closed up. Nothing but a bunch of cell phone accessory kiosks and "herbal medicine" stores. And of course Sears and JC Penny.

Top Bottom