• ...and so much more!
  • PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Hey, Printcraft:

Very informative. Glad that the foregrip is on a BLUE gun!! I know of an "un-named, unfortunate fellow" who bought 10 of these 'magazine-adapters' from an Israeli Military site for $100, total, via PayPal, to match the 10 pre-ban Scherer extended mags he bought for $12.50 each -- back in the day!! Now they are going for $59.95, when they can be found. Sadly, all of that sort of his equipment is in a tackle-box somewhere in the Mississinewa reservoir, due to an awful 'act of nature' accident. But they were surely a lot of fun while he had them ....... or so I hear. Pat.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Anyone know of a 7.5" ~ 10.5" barrel, threaded for flash-hider for this kind of AR? Yes, I am prepared to pay for the stamp and accept the wait-time. Pat.

I am in the middle of a pistol build myself. One thing to look at is the barrel contour. For some reason a lot of the shorter barrels have a heavy contour. This sucks for making a pistol and in my mind goes against the reasons to make a SBR too. You'll want something light and pointable. I went with a bravo company 11.5" upper. I think a 11.5" by design would be more reliable than the shorter barrels due to the longer dwell time.( I am not saying shorter than 11.5 can't be reliable) It has a government profile which is really light. I held a 9mm RRA 10.5" pistol at a local shop and I found it pretty heavy compared to my 11.5". If you can get a good deal on a complete pistol lower I'd do that if you don't like tinkering (or can't find someone local to help) but you can put one together for under $200.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    So reading this thread, I take it that you can't take a regular stripped lower and legally make it into a pistol without the tax stamp? Or you can depending on what was written on the form? I've been debating on doing this myself for a "trunk gun" in the car that's easier to hide away but more powerful than a normal pistol. So far all I've got is the stripped lower and the parts kit, never put together yet though.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    So reading this thread, I take it that you can't take a regular stripped lower and legally make it into a pistol without the tax stamp? Or you can depending on what was written on the form? I've been debating on doing this myself for a "trunk gun" in the car that's easier to hide away but more powerful than a normal pistol. So far all I've got is the stripped lower and the parts kit, never put together yet though.

A stripped lower can be made into a pistol if:
    It has never been made into a rifle (has never had a buttstock installed)
    It was transferred\ sold as "other" or "pistol" on the paperwork.

As soon as you put a buttstock on a AR-15 lower it is forever a rifle in the eyes of the BATAFE. So as long as your buying a new stripped lower just make sure the dealer fills out the paper work right so you'll be good. Some people sell stripped lowers that say "pistol only" but you can use a normal stripped lower just the same.

If you want a buttstock on it then you gotta do the "paperwork" and shell out $200.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    A stripped lower can be made into a pistol if:
    It has never been made into a rifle (has never had a buttstock installed)
    It was transferred sold as "other" or "pistol" on the paperwork.

As soon as you put a buttstock on a AR-15 lower it is forever a rifle in the eyes of the BATAFE. So as long as your buying a new stripped lower just make sure the dealer fills out the paper work right so you'll be good. Some people sell stripped lowers that say "pistol only" but you can use a normal stripped lower just the same.

If you want a buttstock on it then you gotta do the "paperwork" and shell out $200.

I just found out the FFL put it down as Multi. So I should be good to go to build a pistol :D

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    For you to build it as a pistol, the dealer needed to log it as a "pistol" "receiver" or "other". I'm guessing he listed "multi" as the caliber. IMHO, the safest way to build an AR pistol is to buy one of the Pistol marked lowers. This means that it is booked as a pistol by both the manufacturer and the dealer...

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    BATFE Phone in Indy: (not listd on-line)

317-287-3500. I questioned about pistol / rifle building from scratch bar-lower. If it has never had a buttstock attached, it can be built as a pistol. Further inquired as to my "R-xxx-09" serial no. and "Model RA-15" designating rifle only. Same answer; build as you want, but can't switch (legally). I just hope that the BATFE guys at my door in the dark of night are as friendly as the two folks to whom I spoke at the Agency! Pat.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    317-287-3500. I questioned about pistol / rifle building from scratch bar-lower. If it has never had a buttstock attached, it can be built as a pistol. Further inquired as to my "R-xxx-09" serial no. and "Model RA-15" designating rifle only. Same answer; build as you want, but can't switch (legally). I just hope that the BATFE guys at my door in the dark of night are as friendly as the two folks to whom I spoke at the Agency! Pat.

follow the link above and print out the letter sent to the OP from the BATFE. Basically it puts on paper what the guys told you. I just saved them electronically in case something like that were to happen.

Top Bottom