• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I have 3. 2 of the 3 can be operated on 12VDC. One of them is a vacuum tube unit. Frequency is dependent on what area of the world you wish to listen to. Who knows who will be transmitting from where on what frequency when SHTF.

todkapuz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Carmel, IN
    There is a lot of interesting things on shortwave, but probably want to get an amateur radio license now to get some experience with actually transmitting back out. A lot of the amateur radio service is about being prepared and emergency communications, so fits right in with SHTF to a degree... but the frequencies vary a lot depending on time of day, where you're trying to contact, etc. Been an advanced radio operator for quite some time now... originally got my license back when I was ... 15? ... currently have equipment to work just about every licensed band from 160M (1800 kHz) to 1.2GHz (23cm).. some more effectively than others.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have one that will solar charge or crank charge. (the hand type crank not the mouth type crank :) )

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Presently I have on of those 7 band, battery/crank radios that has a cell phone charger and light.

I have turned it on and slowly scanned around, just have no idea what frequency might be local or worth listening to.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I love my old Sony analog, but can't find anything interesting to listen to any longer. Used to enjoy "Radio Free America" back in the day. If you have any shows to recommend, let me know.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the information. I have been listening to shortwave, and DXing on and off since the mid 60's. I was totally unaware of RFA.

You are now deemed the shortwave master.

I have a few, small ones for my pack, The crank Eton ones for local and weather a Sony, and my ham radio. I am going to try to video a test of how they receive both strong and weak signals.

This is great for its size.
    5194AAQRV9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sony 7600 GR

There is nothing smaller than this. Rides in my pack.
    GP4L
    GP4Lfrontmed.jpg

You can locate stations broadcasting here.
    NASWA Guide
    HFRadio Listing

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    CarmelHP/Pistol Bob -- Check out the HCARES Club (Hamilton County radio club), but I don't see any test dates. The Hancock County club normally tests the 3rd or 4th Saturday of every other month (I think the next test is in January). -- Greg, K9TLA

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Shortwave will be the underground frequencies used if/when SHTF. Grundig/Eton, Sony, Sangean, etc. (there are others) are generally affordable ranging from 50-300 bucks. The key is a good external antenna for improved reception. SW has a lot of foreign language stations but if the need existed, I'm betting they have an english speaker who could transmit vital info based on global conditions.

Local activity would likely be on 2 meter or maybe 6 meter HAM bands or to a lesser degree, SSB.

Getting a HAM license is a whole different matter and good equipment, including antennas adds up fast. There are plenty of local HAM's in most areas and personally I would NOT want to be the one with the big tower/s transmitting anything that could be considered less than agreeable with "the party" in control at the time of SHTF.

I'm an ex-ham and will stay that way. Get a decent SW/World Band radio and a simple wire antenna and a stash of batteries.

With radio equipment, you get what you pay for.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Video as promised.

I have done a short test comparing a few of my ham radios with the Sony 7600-GR, the Gundig(eton) G8 Traveller II, and the the little GP-4L. Tests were morse code signals on 80 meters, Phone on 80 meters and a few AM stations from China.

I used the included antenna's with each radio, but I also tested them connected to my 68 ft ham radio antenna that is strung up in my attic. The connection was made with 14g wire wrapped around the antenna and the other end clipped on the center conductor of my coax with an alligator clip.

Results.

Expensive ham equipment works better.

For AM stations all radios work well especially with some longer wire as an antenna.

GP-4L
    works best with stronger AM signals. Tiny battery life if great. Does not cover as many bands as the other two.

Grundig
    Great performance for $50. Wide coverage, sensitive receiver lots of features.

Sony
    The largest and most expensive of the three at about $110. It is heavy and built well. This is the only unit out of the three that has upper and lower side band coverage. You can really dial in narrow stations. If you want to monitor ham traffic this is the one. One thing I don't like is the lack of analog dial for tuning.

Video, the interference in the beginning is from my power supply I need to filter it better. The last clip is a story about China cracking down on online gaming.

Copied the URL but embed not working?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=88Y2Lm-m4XM

Top Bottom