• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I'm looking to add a sling to my shotgun, possibly an optic, possibly a light, and also thinking about some type of ammo carrier. I have searched here, and on other sites, and it looks like the preference is a 2-point sling, but for the ammo carrier opinions abound. I'm leaning toward a butt cuff to carry an extra 4-6 rounds, with the understanding that it could be in the way if I need to shoot weak side for some reason. My preference would be to have the ammo on the gun, so no bandolier or ammo sling. I like the side saddle concept, but don't like the idea of modifying the gun to mount it (replacing pins/screws).

I found a sling that I like at GG&G... https://www.gggaz.com/benelli-shotgun-sling.html

For the optic I was thinking a Leupold Deltapoint or Trijicon RMR, but I like the ghost ring sights I have, so I may just look for a tritium insert for the front sight.

Thoughts?

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Sorry, I hadn't checked on this thread because it wasn't getting any action.

It is a Benelli M4.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What are you using it for? For home defense, get a forend light. Option for HD: sidesaddle, improved sights, sling.

Personally, I prefer my single point, but it's a duty gun.

I am REALLY digging my new 14" barrel. So much so that I think a stamp should rank right up there with the other options as far as "necessity".

Seriously though, get a light first. A good one.

My shotgun "system":

Remington 870 Police
    Vang Comp 14" rifle sight barrel
    Mesa Tactical 6-shot saddle
    Vang Comp +1 extension
    Surefire forend
    Magpul SGA stock
    SOE single point sling

It looks pretty clean, but still too much crap for some.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    All I have 'extra' on my Mossberg is a simple Blackhawk 2 pt sling and one of those elastic slide on the rear stock shell holder.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. My thoughts are to have it set up for home defense.

A sling, light, and some type of ammo carrier are what I'm leaning toward, and in that order. The GG&G sling is a 2-point, but can be adjusted into different configurations. I really like the idea of a light, but from what I have read there aren't many good options for mounting a light. I'm also leaning toward a butt stock ammo carrier like you mentioned 9mmfan, but the downside of those is that if you have to shoot from the opposite hand, the shells/carrier interfere with your cheek weld.

So much to think about.....

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    No sling experience, but I'm pleased with my Elzetta ZSM shotgun light mount. It will hold most average sizes hand-held flashlights, and mounts around the barrel and magazine. You can't over-tighten it or you get feeding issues. It's a cheap (~$35) way to mount a light, and I can reach out with my support thumb and push the light on.

As far as ammo carriers, I'm looking ATM as well. I too am wary of possible alteration/damaged caused by mounting a side saddle, so I'm going to try the Specter Gear buttstock shell holder. They have 6 and 5 round versions. Since I use a 12" LOP stock, I'll need the 5 round version. The shell holders that have a strap to wrap around the recoil pad seem to be the best choice. I've read several complaints that the standard slip-on cuffs move around too much due to recoil.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Well, I ordered the GG&G sling and will post on how I like it once I have it installed and play around with it. Would like to take a tactical shotgun class this spring/summer before I do too much more, but might still pick up a butt stock shell holder though. Maybe an inexpensive one so if I don't like it I'm not out too much. If I do like it I could move that to one of my other shotguns and get a better one for the Benelli. On the light GG&G has a combination sling attachment and rail to which a light could be mounted, but it is all the way back beteween the hand guard mag tube extension, so I don't know how much shadowing that would create. Also need to do more research on lights.

In general, I guess I just need to spend more time on the platform, outside of just standing at the firing line at the range, so I can figure out what I want/need and don't.

Top Bottom