Shotgun or 22 LR for a first personal gun ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brycefowler922

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2017
    Austin
    Thank you for the suggestion I showed it to her not letting her know it might be for her birthday but she thought it looked "mean" lol but it seems like a nice rifle for her

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Has she ever shot a shotgun? Rent one first if not, or just forget it and get something else for her. My brother let me shoot his shotgun when I was 18 and I thought it was awful, I didn't shoot one again for a long time after that. He didn't think it was funny or anything, he was trying to help, and I thought I knew what I was getting into, but it was no fun at all. I was in excellent physical condition at the time, too, very strong and athletic, but the difference in upper body strength got me. That was also the day that we learned why you don't shoot a shotgun into a wet cow pie.

If she hasn't shot much and doesn't like the P238, I am guessing that a shotgun is not something she'll enjoy shooting. I enjoy shooting, I shoot with a variety of rifles and handguns, and even still shooting my 20 gauge is an exercise in endurance. Mine has an adjustable stock designed to reduce recoil, etc., I'm still tired after like 6 rounds. I used to jam it all the time, too, from not working the action hard enough and from my death grip on it. It's worth owning and having for defense purposes, but once I shoot it a few times, I'm done. I enjoy my 30 30 a lot...leaves me a little sore the next day if I shoot it too much, but I enjoy it and can shoot it a lot longer than the 20 gauge.

Options for fun rifle shooting, even a small girl could shoot anything listed here:
    10/22 (get the Takedown model for extra coolness)
    9mm Hi Point cheapy rifle, maybe it's the 995? It's cheap and it shoots good, usually I refuse ugly guns but this one I like, and it's lightweight.
    M&P 15 Sport II

For a handgun, if she didn't like the P238 I will take it, erm, I mean, she can try out different options by renting or going to a class. I had one of the original LC9's and absolutely hated it (chose it on looks, that was a mistake), but I have liked everything else I've gotten. I personally don't care a whole lot for the Shield, but it shoots soft and a lot of women like it.

aztec777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2016
    Reno
    If she likes the AR platform (look), you might want to investigate the Ruger SR-22 rifle ( Ruger® SR-22® * Autoloading Rifle Models ). It's a standard 10/22 wrapped up in an AR blanket. This rifle weighs a ton and the factory Ruger sights are crap, but the 10/22 is a well vetted platform. If she ever gets tired of this look, the sky's the limit on making it look like something else.

This^^^

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Agree with Lees, if she hasn't put 25 rounds thru a scattergun, she ought to. That will sort it out fast. The fun to owning guns is shooting them, if she hates the shotgun recoil, she won't want to shoot it. Seems like a 10/22 or SW AR style 22 will max out the fun and versatility.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If your not bird hunting shot guns suck. .22LR is extinct. If you do happen to find some it isn't worth buying.

What?

Even at elevated prices, .22 LR is available for half the price of cheap 9mm. You'll have saved enough in the first few thousand rounds to have already paid for a .22 rifle.

Shotguns are fun (and useful) for lots more than birds. That's how I took the last coyote I got.

Top Bottom