• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShadeAngel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Off the Grid.
    I did a quick search to see what has been talked about before on the topic but I didn't see anything that was specific to what I was looking for. Any suggestions on a "cheaper" red dot for a 12 gauge? I'm not rich so I can't afford a $300+ optic sadly. I've heard Vortex are good but I'd rather get some opinions on here first before I jump in and buy an optic.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Don't want to spend a lot and get a solid red dot for the money, Bushnell TRS25

If you don't want to spend a lot right now and can upgrade a little later, Primary Arms micro

Vortex SPARC or Strikefire would be good too

What are you planning on using it for?

ShadeAngel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Off the Grid.
    I'm building my 870 to be a home defense friendly gun. I've heard that not many red dots will handle the recoil of a 12 gauge, so I'm kinda hesitant to even buy sights like an Eotech after being told the glass will shatter out of them after so many rounds.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm kinda hesitant to even buy sights like an Eotech after being told the glass will shatter out of them after so many rounds.

Who told you that? Who ever it was I would take every bit of info they ever give you, and automatically know its wrong.

Yes shotguns are hard on red dots.
    Yes the glass can shatter
    Yes everything can break

NO the chances of a shotgun shattering a EOtech are not very good. A lot of folks run them with no issue what so ever.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If I were you, I'd just get a good front tritium night sight if you're wanting to build a house shotgun. I'd forget the red dot.

ShadeAngel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Off the Grid.
    Right now, $300ish, I can save more but it'd take a while. My only problem with Eotechs, used that is, is that you don't know if you're getting the real deal or a knock off these days unless if you buy it from a licensed distributor. I personally don't know how to tell fakes apart from real ones so I'd probably get screwed if I tried buying one used.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A fake could be a issue for you. Ive put Strikefire's on shotgun's with no issues at all. To my knowledge no one I've done it for has had any issues. When you spend extra money on a sight you are basically buying odds. Even if you spend thousands you can have issues, but the odds are very low. If you spend 50 bucks the odds are very high you will have issues. For me I would save a little while longer and buy better odds than the sparc or strikefire. I've seen them work many times, but for a defense gun I would want my odds as high as they can be.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Alan what do you think about a sparc? I mean its holding up on a Smith & Wesson 460vxr just fine.

A Razor red dot would be a great option but about 100 bucks higher than you want to spend.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Best odds.....no red dot. For a home defense shotgun, why not just put on a tritium front sight? It's definitely not going to fail when you need it.

I get putting a red dot on for competition or fun. But I don't get it for a bedside or hd shotgun. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

A fake could be a issue for you. Ive put Strikefire's on shotgun's with no issues at all. To my knowledge no one I've done it for has had any issues. When you spend extra money on a sight you are basically buying odds. Even if you spend thousands you can have issues, but the odds are very low. If you spend 50 bucks the odds are very high you will have issues. For me I would save a little while longer and buy better odds than the sparc or strikefire. I've seen them work many times, but for a defense gun I would want my odds as high as they can be.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Best odds.....no red dot. For a home defense shotgun, why not just put on a tritium front sight? It's definitely not going to fail when you need it.

I get putting a red dot on for competition or fun. But I don't get it for a bedside or hd shotgun. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

There is no reason not to leave irons on it. Red dots are easier, and faster to pick up than a tritium front sight. This is absolute fact, but either system is fine. Everyone likes different products. If that was not the case the world would have
    1 shotgun
    1 rifle
    1 scope
    1 pistol

and no options. Just because someone prefers something sighting system doesn't make it wrong, it makes it different.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Alan what do you think about a sparc? I mean its holding up on a Smith & Wesson 460vxr just fine.

A Razor red dot would be a great option but about 100 bucks higher than you want to spend.

Ive seen them hold up just fine on high recoiling items. I just think your odds are better with a more durable product, like the Razor. The razor will hold up to anything you want to put it on, and thats the level of trust I would want on a defense weapon.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Use what works for you.

But my opinion, and how my hd shotgun is set up, is that if I'm in the middle of sleeping, and I hear a window shatter and need my shotgun up and ready to go, I do not want to have to fumble around turning on a red dot. Waking up like that is disorienting, and you aren't 100% immediately. I'd rather just be able to grab my shotgun, bring it to sight, and see a glowing night sight than to realize I forgot to turn on a red dot.

Anyway, just my .02. To each their own.

I just think a red dot would be much easier to track and see visually in a low light situation.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Use what works for you.

But my opinion, and how my he shotgun is set up, is that if I'm in the middle of sleeping, and I hear a window shatter and need my shotgun up and ready to go, I do not want to have to fumble around turning on a red dot. Waking up like that is disorienting, and you aren't 100% immediately. I'd rather just be able to grab my shotgun, bring it to sight, and see a glowing night sight than to realize I forgot to turn on a red dot.

Anyway, just my .02. To each their own.

A lot of red dots you NEVER turn off, you change the batteries once a year.

Top Bottom