• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I just think a red dot would be much easier to track and see visually in a low light situation.
    No. The dot can actually cause a lot of problems that you didn't have before using it. Also, if you are going to use optics, you need to set your gun up properly for them.

All that aside, a red dot in low light situations might be easier to track IF the target is lit up but at close range if you can see the target and your muzzle is on it, the dot is redundant. When you point your gun into the darkness, or towards a target that is dark and backed by dark, all you will see is a red dot in a sea of dark. A good light will save your butt long before a red dot does and make the optic work better if you still decide to use one. You cant shoot what you cant see. Using a red dot for HD without a light is like using Oregano but skipping the salt the pepper. WTF kind of kitchen are you running here?

But I am old and only have used optics on shotguns for 30+ years and red dots since maybe 1992. I can tell you from experience in truly low light situations the red dot can dominate your vision and cause problems. I cant tell you how newer red dots work on shotguns long term because all my old stuff used for shotguns has never broken and I never use any for HD, only hunting. I have shot most that are out there and they all seem to hold up fine. Optics on shotguns get bumped and beaten so IMHO the design like that of the Aimpoint body is what I personally prefer. You can find new Aimpoints for around $300 on sale. I think DSG had a deal on one recently? The Vortex stuff is popular up here in Wisconsin because they are local boys and well liked. I have never heard of an Eotech being shattered on a shotgun. The Burris fast fire does not require a raised cheek on the stock. Each has its strengths.

To save money on lights, find an old used surefire fore-stock.

Putting cheap stuff on shotguns means you will spend 2x because you will buy it, break it, fix it, break it, then buy good stuff. Go slow do it right.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    There is no reason not to leave irons on it. Red dots are easier, and faster to pick up than a tritium front sight. This is absolute fact, but either system is fine. Everyone likes different products. If that was not the case the world would have
    1 shotgun
    1 rifle
    1 scope
    1 pistol

and no options. Just because someone prefers something sighting system doesn't make it wrong, it makes it different.
    Well put, I have five 870's and no two of them are alike and I would not mind having one or two more.

Tobryan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette
    I just think a red dot would be much easier to track and see visually in a low light situation.

I'm not sure a hi-viz bead or front sight would even be used in a home defense situation, let alone a red dot. Its a point & shoot weapon that carries a wide diameter of destruction. Most shotgun shooters don't even know if there is a bead or post on the end of their barrel. Its a point and click procedure...and typically very effective at 30 yd and in targets. Slug shooting is very different, but I'm not sure this is what you're thinking.

I'd go Hi-Viz in a hearbeat before I'd spend bucks on a red dot for a scattergun.

rjh78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'm not sure a hi-viz bead or front sight would even be used in a home defense situation, let alone a red dot. Its a point & shoot weapon that carries a wide diameter of destruction. Most shotgun shooters don't even know if there is a bead or post on the end of their barrel. Its a point and click procedure...and typically very effective at 30 yd and in targets. Slug shooting is very different, but I'm not sure this is what you're thinking.

I'd go Hi-Viz in a hearbeat before I'd spend bucks on a red dot for a scattergun.

FTFY.

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    I was in the same dilemma but for a different reason just saving for an EOTech for my Saiga but it's a range runner only

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Tobryan has it right

I agree the red dot / glass might not be an option in closer, tighter situations vs the "open field" range and large spaces. There are possible instances, hallways, doorways, when pulling the stock to your shoulder will be impossible, in this case a bright tritium, etc is going to give you a better advantage, especially in a tactical situation where you have to draw up the shotgun appropriately in tighter spaces, to connect the front sight/barrel to the target.
    Im sorry if i missed it what stock is on the shotgun?
    If your set on some kind of projected sight system why not a laser, even a specific shot gun
    laser, half the price and solid. Spend some more $$ and vet yourself a viridian green laser to use outside as well.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Ok, well it seems a lot of people don't agree on anything in this question....
    And that is the world of shotguns. Generally speaking if you have to ask, you are at a disadvantage because you have not had a chance to try things for yourself. However, there is a difference between discussing personal preferences and debating physics.

If you are new to shotguns, learn to shoot it, skip optics. If you feel you must add optics, then go study Mesa stocks. You don't have to buy their products but it will give you a better understanding of how to set up a shotgun for optics. If you don't use a rear stock with higher cheek weld you will have to raise your head to use your optic. That means no cheek weld and **** poor technique. This path you are on is how $1000 or 10lb pump shotguns are born. You are reverse engineering based on an assumption this will work for you. Go shoot some guns and be sure before you start spending.

At night, with adrenaline pumping, people screaming, wild and domestic animals growling, SHTF all around you in the dark, a red dot won't change the outcome. If you are trying to be surgical in a hostage situation with slugs and an optic, things are gonna get ugly real fast. Slug use is where optics are good. I keep one shotgun with a scope near my backdoor where I might have to take a long shot at a bear or wolf and not hit one of my dogs.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    If you are definitely intending this to be a home defense gun, IMO, I would skip the red dot completely, as a few others have said. Save that money for a flashlight and a mount for it.

I say this for a few reasons. In a HD situation I would much rather have a flashlight for a bump in the night than a red dot.

Think about it; the flashlight gives you two solid advantages:

1. Unless your house is huge or you're loading slugs, the flashlight will help you aim quickly and pretty accurately, if mounted correctly and securely.

2. You always need to be sure of your target before you shoot, especially if you are not the only occupant in your home. A red dot won't light up your target, and in turn identify it in the dark, but a flashlight will.

I would much rather point a flashlight, (which also points the muzzle of my Mossberg), than take the time to acquire a sight picture and then line up the dot.

If your dead set on a red dot, go for it and get comfortable with it. Personally, in this situation, I wouldn't fee comfortable with a red dot.

Last edited:

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    If I were you, I'd just get a good front tritium night sight if you're wanting to build a house shotgun. I'd forget the red dot.
    Agreed. Don't load it up with a bunch of BS. Get a nice set of tritium irons and decent light and leave it at that. If it were me, I'd want as little extra stuff as possible, and quick & easy to use. If you only had 10 seconds to grab it, aim, and fire, are you really going to have time and/or remember to stop and turn on the red dot anyway?

ShadeAngel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Off the Grid.
    Well, I did a run through of my house last night with my handgun that has a fiber optic front sight. Needless to say there was no way to distinguish the front sight from the rest of my house as it was all black. Same thing with the bead on my shotgun, nothing but black. So, that rules fiber optics out for me. I've thought about getting tritium sights, just haven't really been impressed enough to buy a set. A flashlight is on my list of things to get, however it's a little further down than my sighting system is. Right now my 870 has an ATI/Archangel stock set that seems to work for me, shooting it at the range feels fairly comfortable and it's not too heavy IMO.

Tobryan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette
    Try practice mounting your scatter gun with your eyes close. After a short while, when you open them, you'll be right on alignment. It becomes second nature as a natural point. Much quicker than doing the same exercise with a pistol....and it can be done with a pistol as well. in addition to the additional height of a red dot, or the thought of aligning a sight, do you really want to have that extra step to turn the power on at that moment, much less work the action. Less steps and simplicity is pretty paramount. Ask a trainer, see what they say. This is my $.05

ShadeAngel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Off the Grid.
    That was the idea behind the automatic red dots, so I didn't have to turn it off or on, most of which are more expensive models and I'd probably not run into a problem with it failing due to better construction.

Top Bottom