• POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    I need some opinions, and I know there are plenty of those here! :D:ingo:

I'm wanting a home defense shotgun.
    I have a Mossberg 500A with a 24" (or 26") vent rib barrel and a full rifled cantelevered scope mount slug barrel. It also has the exchangeable combs.
    I can't buy another shotgun outright.
    1) Do you think I should tear down the gun I have and try to sell the parts to help fund buying other parts?
    2) Just sell the gun or try to trade for another?
    Any other options?
    Thanks

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Not an expert by no means, but if its a 500 couldnt you just get a shorter 18" barrel for home defense? Or do you want more of a tactical package?

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    Not an expert by no means, but if its a 500 couldnt you just get a shorter 18" barrel for home defense? Or do you want more of a tactical package?
    Yeah, sorry, I should've said that. I want to put a different stock on it, and probably different forearm and "laser" or at least a flashlight.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009

I have a Mossberg 500A with a 24" (or 26") vent rib barrel and a full rifled cantelevered scope mount slug barrel. It also has the exchangeable combs.
    1) Do you think I should tear down the gun I have and try to sell the parts to help fund buying other parts?
    Any other options?
    Thanks
    Is the slug barrel smooth? If it is, then you already have a short barrel.
    My HD gun is nothing fancy.....a S&W 3000 with a 18" barrel. Not tactical by any means, but it holds a tight pattern.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I too own a Mossberg 500. I bought a 18.5" barrel for $79.99. You can also witch out the stock if you so choose. I personally do not prefer a pistol grip stock on Mossberg's because of the position of the safety. I think the Remington 870's safety is in a better position to do so. You can also get a side saddle or shell holder for the stock to hold more shells. There are also options to mount a flashlight.

Here is a pic of mine. It's simple but it works.

001-4.jpg

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I have a Winchester 1300 not a Mossberg 500. What I've found so far is that the parts to get what I want plus the cost of the gun already will be almost as much or more than buying a shotgun like I want.

I also say get the shorter barrell and go with it for now. This is the case I'm in. I just can't find a barrel for less than $190:dunno:

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    These are were i would start. these make the most sence and are worth the most in value and function. The mesa seems expencive but is well worth it. you wont regret getting these items.

barrel
    Mossberg Barrel Mossberg 500 12 Gauge 3" 18-1/2" Cylinder Bore with Bead Sight Steel Blue - MidwayUSA

Shell holder
    TacticalShotgunner.com

recoil pad there are different ones for different years of make
    Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil Pad Prefit Mossberg 500 Wood Stock Black - MidwayUSA

I would also concider adding tube extention and a sling. A basic two point sling works nice.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    These are were i would start. these make the most sence and are worth the most in value and function. The mesa seems expencive but is well worth it. you wont regret getting these items.

barrel
    Mossberg Barrel Mossberg 500 12 Gauge 3" 18-1/2" Cylinder Bore with Bead Sight Steel Blue - MidwayUSA

Shell holder
    TacticalShotgunner.com

recoil pad there are different ones for different years of make
    Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil Pad Prefit Mossberg 500 Wood Stock Black - MidwayUSA

I would also concider adding tube extention and a sling. A basic two point sling works nice.
    I've never seen a mag tube extension for a 500, but I'd be interested if there was one available.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Q: Is this a 12 (I'm assuming) or a 20 gauge. If it's a 20 gauge, I have an extra (smooth-bore) barrel lying around that I would be willing to sell. You could have it chopped down to 18.5" and install a Meprolight front night sight and you would be in good shape for what you are wanting to do.

My wife's shotgun is a Remington 870 Tactical in 20 gauge. It has the factory extended mag/tube and the Mepro front night sight. She also has a neoprene 5-shot shell holder on the buttstock, giving her 12+ rounds of #3 shot right on the gun.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    If your not a deer hunter or have no use for the rifled barrel then put it up for trade and see if you can find an even swap for a smooth bore cyl bore barrel.....or just offer an even trade for your combo for a HD type shotgun.

Kelevra TAR-21

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    If you are going to keep it, the first thing you need to do is get new rails for the pump action as they are cheap and flimsy. Then buy a collapseable stock. Next buy the drop down front grip for the pump action. The rest is up to you. These I mentioned are important to me, except the rails are important for anyone who owns this brand of gun.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you are going to keep it, the first thing you need to do is get new rails for the pump action as they are cheap and flimsy. Then buy a collapseable stock. Next buy the drop down front grip for the pump action. The rest is up to you. These I mentioned are important to me, except the rails are important for anyone who owns this brand of gun.

I have have to disagree with you on the forend of the 500. There are plenty of people who hunt or use them as self SD shotguns. No problem with switching it out. However, they are not junk!

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    That is funny, I have never seen or heard of any problems with the "rails" on any Mossberg shotgun. That would include the hundreds of 590s my unit in the Marine Corps used/abused the 2.5 years I was there. And what would you replace them with? Most aftermarket forearms do not come with new action bars.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Any other options?
    Thanks

Why would you do any of those? Just look around for about an 18-20 inch smooth bore slug barrel for that one. I think they about give away stuff for those Mossyburger things.

Any other mod listed in this thread would be a lot better put toward a Remington instead of wasted trying to make a wannabe in to a Remington.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom